Review of Audio Technica ATH-IM01, ATH-IM02, ATH-IM03, ATH-IM04, ATH-IM50, & ATH-IM70
Jul 2, 2015 at 9:51 PM Post #2,071 of 3,060
I made a very interesting discovery just now, utterly by accident, during non-critical, casual listening.

Listening to Pink Floyd's Delicate Sound of Thunder album 192Khz vinyl rip, over the course of an hour I transitioned from listening through my Emotiva speakers, to my Senn HD600 phones, to my IM04.

The Emotiva Airmotiv 4s were powered by the Maverick Audio D1 Plus vacuum tube-out. The HD600 were powered by the D1 SS headphone amp. The IM04 was sourced by the FiiO X5 Classic.

The IM04 sound remarkably close to the 4s speakers colored by the tube, and almost nothing at all like the HD600.

Of course, on everything it sounded amazing. Just different. I feel delighted to have IEMs that sound like my desktop setup. :)

Thought everyone might find that interesting.

And here's another glamour shot to accent this post. :wink:

Jul 6, 2015 at 8:36 PM Post #2,073 of 3,060
I'm pretty sure it's the same with all of these foam dampers, while I don't have the IM series with dampers and the 04's don't have any dampers, my CK90ProMkII have foam dampers. The other day I took them both out and cleaned them under some lukewarm water and put them gently back in with a toothpick. No sweat. 

Jul 8, 2015 at 12:37 PM Post #2,074 of 3,060
Thank you for your wonderful review. After reading it, I purchased the IM70. I absolutely love it. I use it for vocals, and it is exactly as you described it. I would like to purchase the IM02 for classical symphonic music. My recordings are ripped from my CDs and converted to FLAC. I do not have HD recordings. Will the IM02 sound good with my recordings, or is it designed to be used only with HD recordings?

Jul 8, 2015 at 12:49 PM Post #2,075 of 3,060
There are no headphones designed for only HD recordings.

Being capable of great detail, the IM02 will reveal any and all flaws in the music. So if those CDs are not professionally mastered, they might not sound great. Anything else, and you ought to love them.

Jul 8, 2015 at 7:02 PM Post #2,076 of 3,060
28 days in, and I've sent my IM03 back to Amazon.

These are the best IEMs I've heard. I enjoyed so many hours of amazing music. That sibilance, though... it got very harsh to my ears. The real nail in the coffin was how terrible it sounded on the FiiO X3II. I thought it was the DAP. The 03s sound amazing on my Dragonfly, so I just assumed the poor sound was the X3 I took delivery of.

Then I tried it with my Klipsch X7i. Everything sounded better.

So that harsh treble, and the fact its so damn source-picky... I figured if I didn't send it back now, I'd be stuck with it.

I ordered a used pair of IM04s for $370 from Amazon. It ought to be here tomorrow. From what I've read, their warm signature will be an interesting experience to someone used to brighter sounds. I use the SennHD600 as my main desktop phone. Is the 04 at all like that? Those are quite warm and cozy.

Thanks for your answer regarding recording quality and the IM02. I'm not sure what you mean by "professionally mastered". I was referring to CDs I have purchased.

I have another question.

When you sent the IM03 back to Amazon, did you receive a full or a partial refund?

I wanted to order the IM02 and the IM03 because there is no place to audition them where I live. $200 or $350 is a lot of money to spend on something I haven't heard. The Amazon return policy says they will issue a 50% refund if the earphones are not defective. Losing that much money has kept me from buying either of them.

Jul 8, 2015 at 7:57 PM Post #2,077 of 3,060
50% refund? That's a bit scary.

They gave me a full refund, minus the $6 for shipping. No questions asked. They didn't even wait for the package to arrive back at their warehouse, simply issuing the refund right after the claim was processed.

Under return options, I selected the one that reads something like, "I don't want this item anymore."

Anyway, what I meant by "professionally mastered" is exactly that. Legitimate industry professionals. In other words, if you can buy the album in a store, it's probably of a decent recording and master.

There are exceptions to this rule. but you get the idea.

From all I've read about the IM02, they possess a level of detail retrieval that leaves little room for sonic imperfections to hide. This is not a bad thing. It does not mean you won't enjoy all your music. It only means you'll hear the flaws in poor recordings more vividly. :D

You will probably love the IM03 as well. I've been fighting the urge to reorder that, simply to try it out with the JVC Spiral Dot tips, and see if that does not eliminate that pesky sibilance. I did so enjoy those phones.

I'm still quite taken with the IM04, but their warmth can be a little much on darker music, like Lady Gaga's Born This Way. That warmth does make listening for long hours remarkably easy and non-fatiguing.

Still, the 03s were so damn close to being perfect for my ears.

Jul 10, 2015 at 6:52 PM Post #2,080 of 3,060
I am SO glad I found this thread. I've learned so much more about my potential headphones.

I am pretty close to purchasing the ATH-IM02 or the DUNU DN-1000. From what I've been told Dunu would satisfy my sound quality but comfort could be an issue. As for the IM02, I am not sure if I'm going to enjoy the bass (coming from Klipsch S4s).

This is a decision that I need some help on so if anyone can comment with thoughts that would be awesome. Are the IM02s still the best in the game for ~$200??

Thanks in advance guys!

Jul 10, 2015 at 7:09 PM Post #2,081 of 3,060
  I am SO glad I found this thread. I've learned so much more about my potential headphones.

I am pretty close to purchasing the ATH-IM02 or the DUNU DN-1000. From what I've been told Dunu would satisfy my sound quality but comfort could be an issue. As for the IM02, I am not sure if I'm going to enjoy the bass (coming from Klipsch S4s).

This is a decision that I need some help on so if anyone can comment with thoughts that would be awesome. Are the IM02s still the best in the game for ~$200??

Thanks in advance guys!

DN1000 is more the direction you'd want. I'd look at the CKR9 and CKR10 rather than the IM02 if you're looking for something with some bass. Both of them have insanely, crazy good bass response while being superbly detailed like the IM02. CKR9 is midbassier and a bit more intimate, where the CKR9 is more spacious and with more subbass than midbass.

Jul 10, 2015 at 7:26 PM Post #2,082 of 3,060
Well I'm not looking for anything bass heavy. Just something that I won't be disappointed by the bass. From what I read it's just a very clean quick bass on the IM02.

The problem with the CKRs is they have a reputation of being uncomfortable. That's a deal breaker for me.

Do you think I would be dissapointed by the bass in the IM02s or be appreciative of it?

Jul 10, 2015 at 9:32 PM Post #2,083 of 3,060
Pinky, if the warmth from 04 bothers you a bit, try upgraded cables ? I experienced much more spaces and clarity hence it appears even more spacious and detailed.

No. But I've been meaning too. They are simply so expensive, or take forever to get here.

I ordered a Lunashop cable, this one, though I'm not sure it will ever get here. Another cable I ordered on the same day arrived Tuesday, but not my headphone cable. :mad:

I understand, if I really hope to hear auditory improvement I need to get at least a 6n OCC. I've found some 8n OCC for less than $100 that work with this Audio Technica line. I've been seriously considering it.

Prim8NChief, I'm sorry, I haven't tried out the IM02, so I can't speak to their bass response. I can say, comparing the Klipsch R6 (bass heavy, V-Shape profile), the ATH-IM03 and 04 decimate in every way, including bass.

Jul 10, 2015 at 9:34 PM Post #2,084 of 3,060
Well I'm not looking for anything bass heavy. Just something that I won't be disappointed by the bass. From what I read it's just a very clean quick bass on the IM02.

The problem with the CKRs is they have a reputation of being uncomfortable. That's a deal breaker for me.

Do you think I would be dissapointed by the bass in the IM02s or be appreciative of it?

While I know you didn't ask me but I did own the im02 and sold it and now have the ckr9s. The im02s bass is quick,clean, and articulate, and if you like that sort of bass then you will be happy with the im02s. The Ckr9s just has much more sub bass extension with more bass slam. I think you will be happy with either one but the im02 wasn't my cup of tea. Cheers.

Jul 10, 2015 at 10:00 PM Post #2,085 of 3,060

Thanks in advance guys!

Hi! Im new to Head-fi! just to add, i loved the IM02 when the shop i visited recommended me that pair when i was trying out the Shure SE215se and the Westone um10 pro. I found that it was amazing, although im no analyst or audiophile, i really liked the signature and how clean things were.. i was pretty impressed by the bass too, just nice, not overwhelming or washed out by any means. (coming from the klipsch r6!- pretty similar to the s4 if i must say, owned that before this)

Hope i can be of some help. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back