Review of Audio Technica ATH-IM01, ATH-IM02, ATH-IM03, ATH-IM04, ATH-IM50, & ATH-IM70
Apr 22, 2015 at 9:04 PM Post #1,861 of 3,060

Might be searching wrong "ATH-IM02". Plenty of sellers on amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Technica-ATH-IM02-SonicPro-Balanced-Headphones/dp/B00FWGU0ES

weird. I wasn't able to find it. Maybe it's a sign I shouldn't be spending more money on audio 
tongue.gif

Apr 26, 2015 at 8:40 AM Post #1,862 of 3,060
I just got myself a set of IM02s :)

i am using them with my E12 amp and X3 as source and the result is very very satisfying. I also own the Sony XBA-2IP, RHA 750 and Shure 215, i can tell for sure the IM02 beats them all, especially in clarity and detail. I am glad i got those instead of the Shure 425

Only problem i have is they don't quite fit properly, i used the medium silicone and comply tips but they would not isolate, i am using now the large silicone tips which causes them to sit a bit more outside, but they isolate ok. I have ordered some larger comply tips, hopefully they will be ok. i wish i could find double flanged tips..

other than that, their are great earphones, that can perform way above their price range

Apr 26, 2015 at 3:16 PM Post #1,863 of 3,060
  I just got myself a set of IM02s :)

i am using them with my E12 amp and X3 as source and the result is very very satisfying. I also own the Sony XBA-2IP, RHA 750 and Shure 215, i can tell for sure the IM02 beats them all, especially in clarity and detail. I am glad i got those instead of the Shure 425

Only problem i have is they don't quite fit properly, i used the medium silicone and comply tips but they would not isolate, i am using now the large silicone tips which causes them to sit a bit more outside, but they isolate ok. I have ordered some larger comply tips, hopefully they will be ok. i wish i could find double flanged tips..

other than that, their are great earphones, that can perform way above their price range

Glad you liked them :wink: I don't think that double flange tips would fit on IM02 because of the big housing and the shape of the nozzle. I couldn't get a proper fit with double flanges on my IM50/70s.

Apr 29, 2015 at 3:38 AM Post #1,864 of 3,060
Hi guys, 

I am considering between IM03 and IM04. 

I used to own UE900 but due to SQ degration, I had to return it. 

Therefore I am looking for new IEM - in face I have been saving for CIEM but as a student, I thought it is too much for me now, so I am going to mid range IEMs for now - and got to know about IM series from Audio Technica.

I really loved UE900's flat response and I want to have similar experience. 

Can anyone tell me which one would be better choice for me?

Thanks in advance.

Cheers, 
J

Apr 29, 2015 at 10:12 AM Post #1,865 of 3,060
  Hi guys, 

I am considering between IM03 and IM04. 

I used to own UE900 but due to SQ degration, I had to return it. 

Therefore I am looking for new IEM - in face I have been saving for CIEM but as a student, I thought it is too much for me now, so I am going to mid range IEMs for now - and got to know about IM series from Audio Technica.

I really loved UE900's flat response and I want to have similar experience. 

Can anyone tell me which one would be better choice for me?

Thanks in advance.

Cheers, 
J

The IM04 is tuned very differently from the UE900. The IM04 has a lush, well rounded tonality with a slight mid-bass hump that results in a smooth, silky sound that is great for vocal oriented genres as well as EDM, a genre that the UE900 suffers with. Treble presence is not as impressive as the UE900's, with less sparkle and detail. Treble is smooth and controlled all-round, though, and is neither as hot nor as harsh as the UE900's highs can be at times.

I've auditioned the IM03 on a few occasions and I found their bass punch and texture to be very pleasant. However, its highs can be quite strident and sibilant at times. To be honest, I can't comment much on the IM03 for now, since I haven't tried them in a couple of months.

However, I have the UE900 and the IM04, and I'd say neither is an upgrade over the other, since the sound signatures are very different.

Apr 29, 2015 at 7:24 PM Post #1,866 of 3,060

The IM04 is tuned very differently from the UE900. The IM04 has a lush, well rounded tonality with a slight mid-bass hump that results in a smooth, silky sound that is great for vocal oriented genres as well as EDM, a genre that the UE900 suffers with. Treble presence is not as impressive as the UE900's, with less sparkle and detail. Treble is smooth and controlled all-round, though, and is neither as hot nor as harsh as the UE900's highs can be at times.

I've auditioned the IM03 on a few occasions and I found their bass punch and texture to be very pleasant. However, its highs can be quite strident and sibilant at times. To be honest, I can't comment much on the IM03 for now, since I haven't tried them in a couple of months.

However, I have the UE900 and the IM04, and I'd say neither is an upgrade over the other, since the sound signatures are very different.

Thanks Malevolent for your opinion.

What if I say that I listen to Jazz, Classical, HipHop, and some ballad? 

Thanks!

Apr 30, 2015 at 7:55 AM Post #1,867 of 3,060
  Thanks Malevolent for your opinion.

What if I say that I listen to Jazz, Classical, HipHop, and some ballad? 

Thanks!

The IM04 is good with Hip Hop, thanks to a good and punchy bass presence with some nice rich vocals. However, for genres that require a lot of sparkle and extension up top, the IM04 will sound relatively modest. It's not an airy or bright IEM, as it strengths are more aligned toward vocals and a smooth, full tonality. They certainly won't sound bad with classical or jazz, but I reckon the UE900 does better with these genres.

Apr 30, 2015 at 12:32 PM Post #1,868 of 3,060
So tempted to pick up a IM04 today, but I just got the IM70 last week. That and/or a W5000 (used to own one a few years back and have always missed it since selling).

I like A-T too much :x

May 1, 2015 at 11:29 AM Post #1,869 of 3,060
IM04 arriving today with the next few hours. Luckily I can actually try them out while at work. :)

Lately I've been listening to mostly vocaloid, Genki Rockets, Nightwish, and Rx bandits. So I guess I'll try the IM04 with those sorts of things first.

May 1, 2015 at 1:05 PM Post #1,870 of 3,060
Has anyone tried pairing the IM02s with the Fiio X5? If so, what did you think of the results? From what I've been reading, the IM02s pair best with a DAP with low output amp impedance. If I remember correctly, the specs of the X5 fit the bill.

May 1, 2015 at 1:24 PM Post #1,871 of 3,060
I have a pair of im02 with X5 (although plugged through e12a amp). Not being a fan of that kind of sound I really like it now, this is the only headphones that I can listen after I bought Ultrasone 750 pro- analytical, but still fun enough to satisfy my bass and mids needs :)

May 1, 2015 at 1:42 PM Post #1,872 of 3,060
I have a pair of im02 with X5 (although plugged through e12a amp). Not being a fan of that kind of sound I really like it now, this is the only headphones that I can listen after I bought Ultrasone 750 pro- analytical, but still fun enough to satisfy my bass and mids needs
smily_headphones1.gif

Do you find the e12a amp a necessity? Or does the IM02 pair fine with just the X5?

May 1, 2015 at 2:42 PM Post #1,874 of 3,060
I don't have any of the other IM balanced armature IEMs to compare, but I am loving the IM04. Think it's already time to unload the IM70 and maybe my SE535 as well. No direct comparisons have been done, but I am quite happy.

Just loving it because it's a new thing? Maybe. At the very least it's a huge upgrade over my IM70 that I've only had for a week. both in sound and comfort. I was afraid of the IM04 being less comfortable because it's even larger, but it's more comfortable. Fits the shape of my ears better, maybe?

May 2, 2015 at 1:12 PM Post #1,875 of 3,060
I don't have any of the other IM balanced armature IEMs to compare, but I am loving the IM04. Think it's already time to unload the IM70 and maybe my SE535 as well. No direct comparisons have been done, but I am quite happy.

Just loving it because it's a new thing? Maybe. At the very least it's a huge upgrade over my IM70 that I've only had for a week. both in sound and comfort. I was afraid of the IM04 being less comfortable because it's even larger, but it's more comfortable. Fits the shape of my ears better, maybe?

Yeah, I too found the IM04 more comfortable than the IM70, thanks to its more rounded build. It's quite huge, though, and does look like a CIEM from a distance.

Anyway, the IM04 is a thoroughly enjoyable IEM. It enhances everything I know about the IM70, except for that delicious mid-bass hump that the IM70 offers. Admittedly, the IM04 still retains that punchy and well textured bass presentation.

Btw, I've never managed to audition the SE535 together with the IM04, but how would you compare the vocals of the 2? Thanks. 
smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back