Review of Audio Technica ATH-IM01, ATH-IM02, ATH-IM03, ATH-IM04, ATH-IM50, & ATH-IM70
Mar 22, 2015 at 2:23 PM Post #1,816 of 3,060
  I have now tested the Lunashops braided mic/remote cable on a Moto X (2013), Moto  (2014), and iPhone 6. The only one it doesn't have problems with is the Moto X (2014). On the others it does weird things, like having only bass play (or something like that - it's really weird sounding). Also, the part of the jack that goes into the port on the phone and the part that you hold can move relative to each other, which gives me the impression that they aren't well-made. So I can try returning it to the person I bought it from on eBay or hope my future phones work with it. If I do return it, it means I'd have to buy a new one, and I'd be hoping it's a defect with just this one. Or I could buy an HDC1iS cable from CDJapan, but that's like $40 with shipping.

How does the new Moto G sound compared to your Iphone 6 and your daps? I want to change my phone and wonder if the new Moto G (2014) is better than the first edition. 

Mar 23, 2015 at 7:53 PM Post #1,820 of 3,060
  Last few days i am test IM70 on a Fiio X1, Sansa Clip+ and Nexus 5.
Listened good quality 24\192 FLAC and i see no difference in quality.
Wonder why i still taking with me my FiiO X1..
I am sick?

Not necessary.
Many people don't hear the difference between players obvious. Most people put more attention to the songs rather than the different sound quality between players. And not all recordings help to listen the differences. Try some audiophile recordings, like free high resolution files from 2L. Last, IM70 is player friendly, so not the best IEM to be used to spot the differences between players.

Mar 24, 2015 at 11:28 AM Post #1,821 of 3,060
Sansa clip do 24/192 natively ?

My guess is that non of those devices could do 24/192 natively. Though they can play FLAC, but they are all in the same league. That explained why there are no differences

I believe the X1 does, but not the other 2.

@Nuke142
Although I do agree with earfonia. You'll need to look for a difference specifically, and the IM70 may not be the best tool for the job (it's an easy going IEM). The IM02 might be a better earphone for the task.

Mar 24, 2015 at 3:49 PM Post #1,823 of 3,060
I had it. And sold it. Not mine sound signature. I can't listen screaming voices and mids was so loud.. So what i should buy to hear difference between X1 and smartphones/Sansa clip+ ?

Anything with a flat response curve that doesn't color the sound would probably make the differences easier to spot- also relatively sensitive to minimize the benefit of x1's amp. There are a lot of options for that; if it has to be in-ear, maybe something like Etymotics? Though if you don't like the IM02 I reckon you'd really dislike those.

I haven't used the X1, but the Cilp+ is a decent player so any difference in sound character might be subtle- the x1 has power (maybe not such a huge advantage if you are using in-ears) and likely a better DAC but the advantages of its 24bit depth(the Clip+ has to downsample 24bit into 16bit) are probably less tangible ( if you can have it, why not? but the actual beneifits for playback are still argued about all over the place).

Might want to check out the x1 thread to get peoples opinions there: http://www.head-fi.org/t/691332/the-all-new-fiio-x1-192k-24b-pcm5142-dac-and-100mw-output-with-lo-and-inline-remote

Mar 24, 2015 at 10:46 PM Post #1,824 of 3,060
  Quote:
  maybe something like Etymotics? Though if you don't like the IM02 I reckon you'd really dislike those.

I would second that choice - as I like both :). I think the IM02 is a bit more fun, because of its mid-range. The Etys (ER4 series) would probably help @Nuke142, I always find them to be a good benchmark for the music I like to listen to.

Mar 25, 2015 at 9:01 AM Post #1,825 of 3,060
I had it. And sold it. Not mine sound signature. I can't listen screaming voices and mids was so loud.. So what i should buy to hear difference between X1 and smartphones/Sansa clip+ ?

Well, seeing as we're in the IM-series thread, the best IEMs for the task would be the IM02, followed by the IM03.

However, seeing that you're not too fond of the IM02, you may wish to look elsewhere, preferably something with a more neutral/balanced sound signature (not colored). That way, differences would be easier to spot.

Anyway, if you're perfectly happy with the Clip+, then I don't think you'll need to look further. Sometimes, finding satisfaction with your current gear can be a fleeting, but worthwhile exercise. Still, disregarding any potential sound quality differences, you're certainly paying a higher premium for the X1 for that larger screen and a much better build. These are tangible factors that can certainly warrant dropping a few extra dollars for. Different strokes for different folks, I guess.

Mar 26, 2015 at 12:51 PM Post #1,826 of 3,060
After reading the thread I've decided to pick up a pair of IM-02s through Amazon. Going to pair them with an Oppo HA-2 and should be getting both tomorrow. This is my first IEM purchase in over three years and I can't wait to check them out!

Mar 26, 2015 at 1:41 PM Post #1,827 of 3,060
After reading the thread I've decided to pick up a pair of IM-02s through Amazon. Going to pair them with an Oppo HA-2 and should be getting both tomorrow. This is my first IEM purchase in over three years and I can't wait to check them out!

The ha-2 does have some hiss, it was noticeable with the sensitive iems I tried and I'd say the im02 will have some too. It's not bad but you may notice it during quiter passages of music depending on your volume.

Mar 29, 2015 at 7:39 AM Post #1,828 of 3,060
I’ve read this whole (quite big!) thread as I might be interested with IM03.

I’m looking for IEM mostly for Jazz (no vocal at all, piano and saxophones matter the most) classical (baroque, ancient music with sings sometimes) ambient, avantgarde, world (traditional acoustic instruments) with a few voices too and just little trip-hop, psych rock (but I might probably use a different IEM for that) 

So I’m looking for something with the most natural sound, well balanced, precise with good details but not too analytic and cold I guess, a bit of an aerial, overhead sound with widest soundstage possible, not tiring to listen for long period. Would the IM03 be a good idea? Or maybe another IEM to advice for those purposes? 

I don’t have a big experience yet with those midrange - highend IEM so sorry to ask, I know it’s not comparable but when reading « wide soundstage » for ATH-IM series, is it something approaching a bit from an open full size headphones? something we could believe coming from outside the head, or still really inside the head, frontal and lateral? I’m actually listening my music with a Beyer DT770 250ohms (amped with dac) who doesn't really suit my expectations for the above-mentionned musical genres.. so I guess it should be easy to have something more opened..maybe even with IEM? 
basshead.gif

As for my source, it will be an iPhone 6 for now and I will probably invest in a dedicated DAP like AK120 later. Would it be a good match with IM03 and a big improvement from the iphone for IM03? 

Thanks for your help! 

Mar 29, 2015 at 7:45 AM Post #1,829 of 3,060
I’ve read this whole (quite big!) thread as I might be interested with IM03.

I’m looking for IEM mostly for Jazz (no vocal at all, piano and saxophones matter the most) classical (baroque, ancient music with sings sometimes) ambient, avantgarde, world (traditional acoustic instruments) with a few voices too and just little trip-hop, psych rock (but I might probably use a different IEM for that) 

So I’m looking for something with the most natural sound, well balanced, precise with good details but not too analytic and cold I guess, a bit of an aerial, overhead sound with widest soundstage possible, not tiring to listen for long period. Would the IM03 be a good idea? Or maybe another IEM to advice for those purposes? 

I don’t have a big experience yet with those midrange - highend IEM so sorry to ask, I know it’s not comparable but when reading « wide soundstage » for ATH-IM series, is it something approaching a bit from an open full size headphones? something we could believe coming from outside the head, or still really inside the head, frontal and lateral? I’m actually listening my music with a Beyer DT770 250ohms (amped with dac) who doesn't really suit my expectations for the above-mentionned musical genres.. so I guess it should be easy to have something more opened..maybe even with IEM? :basshead:

As for my source, it will be an iPhone 6 for now and I will probably invest in a dedicated DAP like AK120 later. Would it be a good match with IM03 and a big improvement from the iphone for IM03? 

Thanks for your help! 

Ak120 is good, at the same price and also newer is the Sony ZX2, and many says that it is better and closer to the ak240.

Onto IEM. I hear Noble K10 will be the best there is for everything. IM-03 is good, and is the better brother from 01-02-03. I have not heard the 01-02, but I had the 03-04. The sound stage rendering ? Not sure how to tell you as I am not big into CANS. But with the upgraded cable, yet they are very large with both 03-04. I like 04 better :D

Mar 29, 2015 at 9:36 PM Post #1,830 of 3,060
Reizhon4, I would audition the IM-04 along with the IM-03 together if possible.  IM-04 is the more natural type with large soundstage whereas the IM-03 is brighter which some people perceive as having more detail.  The smooth sound signature of 04 also means you can listen to it for hours.  

IM-04 out of Apex Glacier portable amp and listening to 'Chilled house Ibiza 2014' album is a treat.  The IM-04 presents the instruments in a very natural way which on EDM tracks is really beautiful to listen to.  Add to the excellent bass, the large 3d soundstage and I am finding myself surrounded by music.  I am looking outside the window to a crystal clear blue sky.  I can see the mountains on the horizon, it is indeed a beautiful day.  Listening to the sax on 'Jubel' by Klingande with this view - Sublime.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back