Review of Audio Technica ATH-IM01, ATH-IM02, ATH-IM03, ATH-IM04, ATH-IM50, & ATH-IM70
Jan 24, 2015 at 12:02 PM Post #1,531 of 3,060

Yes, they're an excellent all rounder. What are your primary types of music you listen to?

Electronic-based music (not so much dubstep-type stuff but a lot of synth-pop type stuff), rock, mellow-indiepop, some hip-hop. 

RE-600 more mid-forward than the IM70. IM70 darker- treble energy could be better but some people love this kinda smooth signature. The two are polar opposites in fit. The RE-600 disappears; the IM70 takes a lot of fiddling around with the memory wire, and it's still not that comfy.

Very smooth and effortless sound with the IM70- in my mind makes it pretty agreeable with a lot of genres.

Yeah, the mids are very intimate on the RE-400. I do like treble energy though. The MEElectronics M-Duo had a very bright treble that I find myself missing on the RE-400. But I guess that wouldn't make for a great all-arounder.

Jan 24, 2015 at 12:13 PM Post #1,532 of 3,060
  Electronic-based music (not so much dubstep-type stuff but a lot of synth-pop type stuff), rock, mellow-indiepop, some hip-hop. 

Yeah, the mids are very intimate on the RE-400. I do like treble energy though. The MEElectronics M-Duo had a very bright treble that I find myself missing on the RE-400. But I guess that wouldn't make for a great all-arounder.

The IM70 would suit the genres you listen to well. The treble isn't bright, but this is easily improved by using some wider bore tips, and they should be brighter than the RE400 as well. You can read the review in my sig and see if they sound like they're for you. 

Jan 24, 2015 at 5:21 PM Post #1,534 of 3,060
I just got to listen to the IM02's and prefer them over the 03's by a wide margin. The fit is much more comfortable and the treble issues I had with IM03 are gone! Thinking the IM02 has a flatter response but less resolving. IM02 also sounds a little darker to me. The bass still isn't the best, fuller quality low on IM03. 

I miss the resolution of IM03 while listening to IM02, but as soon as I listen to IM03 the treble is too bright. Maybe I have bad pair of IM03 since so many say IM02 & 03 have similar sound?

Will get to compare to my favorite CK90ProMk2 Monday at work. 

Jan 24, 2015 at 7:38 PM Post #1,537 of 3,060
Just got my ATH-IM03's ordered off ebay, from a seller called winktokyo.  I know that Audio Technica US won't honor the warranty since they were not purchased from an authorized US seller, ie, Audio Technica's amazon listing for these.  But they were 40$ cheaper with free shipping.  In fact I'm pretty sure that they arrived faster than they would have had I ordered them from a US reseller.  I ordered on Thursday, and received them on Saturday.  All the way from Tokyo!

Anyways, here's some eye candy:

Unboxing:

As for the sound, I'm no audiophile, but I have had experience with a couple nice IEM's after realizing how much I was missing with regular free/cheap headbuds.

Have owned/experienced:

ATH-CK10 - favorites, but had to de-eq upper/mid range, need more bass
Fischer Audio DBA02 (First gen): too bright/harsh
Monster Turbine copper - ok
Shure se530pth: Awful.  Hated the sound signature, thought I was listening to music under water in a pool, but incredible amount of bass
Sony MDR-EX90 - first decent iem's

I loved my ATH-CK10 IEM's since I like listening to trance, EDM (Skrillex, but also bass heavy dubstep stuff like Adventure Club), but I also am a hardcore fan of Pink Floyd classic rock, and some newer stuff like Joe Satriani, Steve Vai, and Buckethead, etc.

I found the CK10 to be extremely detailed and fast, especially for stuff like Skrillex, it was amazing although lacking in absolute bass quantity, and they were a too bright and fatiguing to listen to for long periods of time.  I wound up de-eq'ing the mid and treble ranges so it wouldn't hurt my ears.  I'm evaluating these on FLAC versions of my favorite songs, driven by my PC sound card, no amp or anything.

CASE:

Looks nice, fairly large, I suspect so that you don't have to bend the memory wires up when you're putting them away.

Included Tips:

Looks like they included three silicon tips, Large, Med, Small, as well as a medium pair of Comply Foam Tips.

Build Quality:
As usual Audio Technica has an excellent build quality, and these feel sturdy and while the housings aren't as nice as the CK10, they seem durable with the plastic of the correct thickness.

Also most of my headphones in the past all failed at the strain relief between the IEM and the cable, so these being removable seems to be a great idea.  Hopefully the junction itself doesn't fail, as it's a pretty tight fit.

The only other comment I have is that the Audio Technica logo, model number and L/R information is painted on the plastic, so this may scratch off over time, but the plugs into the IEM's are color coded for L/R.

Overall I'm pleased with the build quality and appearance of these IEM's.

Overall Sound:

Overall a very neutral, flat sounding IEM.  So much so that they almost seemed too flat at first, however I they are also very accurate in reproduction across the whole frequency range.  Nothing is emphasized over the whole range actually.  I actually like this as now I can EQ the headhpones for the exact response that I want rather than using the EQ to correct for aberrations across the frequency response range.  Again with the BA design, very accurate and fast reproduction.

Bass:
There is a lot more quantity of bass than the ck10 iem's and it is very tight and controlled.  It's not for bassheads, but even listening to bass heavy songs I'm not disappointed at all.

Mids: Again very accurate and responsive, tight and controlled.

Highs: Much more recessed than the CK10 iem's, but using the eq to emphasize the treble and mid ranges shows excellent response and accuracy.  No sibiliance, and non fatiguing at all.  I haven't found a need to EQ the mid/treble range however.  Listening to some of Skrillex's songs like "Right In" with the EQ flat they're actually bit bright, so I guess it depends on the source and the music.  However most of the other songs I've heard are not overly bright.

Isolation/Fitment:

I usually use Comply Foam tips on my CK10 iem's, however the small silicon tips they included offer very good isolation and are very comfortable.

I like the memory wires that go over the top of the ear, and the cable has a neck slider to help reduce microphonics.

Interestingly the directions say that the splitter and cord are supposed to go behind your head and the slider should meet at the top of the back of your neck.

I've been listening to them in the front as with my back to a chair they would get pulled on, and while there is microphonics its not too noticable.

Conclusion:

I wanted to be able to listen to these for hours on end as I work or study, and this is exactly what I wanted.

They aren't as bright as my CK10 iem's were or the Fischer DBA-02's which were bright to the point of pain for me.

If you're looking for the response of BA's but with much more bass, then these are the ticket.  They're accurate, fast, tight, and controlled like my CK10's but not overly bright or fatiguing, with much more bass, more than enough for me, even listening to dubstep and other bass heavy genres is quite pleasant.

Jan 24, 2015 at 8:13 PM Post #1,538 of 3,060
  How do the IM70s handle large amount of deep bass found in rap music these days? For example, here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ljd7h8ovEow

My RE-400s are simply not up to the task lol. 

IM70s aren't really bass heavy IEM which means you will get only gut thumping bass with these. You can check the EPH-100 :wink:

Jan 24, 2015 at 8:31 PM Post #1,539 of 3,060

IM70s aren't really bass heavy IEM which means you will get only gut thumping bass with these. You can check the EPH-100 :wink:

I see. I'm trying to decide from the IM70, FXT90 and EHP-100. It's a tough choice that I'm not even sure that I need another IEM given that I'm really enjoying my RE-400s with most music. This hobby is going to make me go broke lol.

Jan 24, 2015 at 8:38 PM Post #1,540 of 3,060
  I see. I'm trying to decide from the IM70, FXT90 and EHP-100. It's a tough choice that I'm not even sure that I need another IEM given that I'm really enjoying my RE-400s with most music. This hobby is going to make me go broke lol.

I would pick EPH-100 from your list for more sub-bass.

Jan 24, 2015 at 10:00 PM Post #1,541 of 3,060

I have all of those and I prefer the EPH-100 above all because of its fun and easy-going sound SQ, combined with the straight-barrel design for better fitting (for me). About the IM70 and FXT90, I like both of their signatures, but I prefer FXT90 over the IM70 because the fit is greater, it's good on its own, and buying 'outside' ear tips isn't needed. The IM70, on the other hand, doesn't have good ergonomic cuz of that bulky design so I had to buy another eartips and add the 'ring' from cut-up sony hybrid stems to make it wear-able.

Jan 25, 2015 at 1:37 AM Post #1,543 of 3,060

Classical, Rock, Sinatra-style, hip-hop, techno everything except opera and metal.

I think the IM70 will serve you well with all of those. Treble is a bit smooth for classical but the spatial presentation and layering is great with it. 

Haven't heard the EPH, but I'd take the IM70 over the FXT90. Much smoother treble and better soundstage. Also, ozkan makes it seem like the IM70 is bass light. They're anything but. If the IM70 isn't bassy to someone, I'd have to say they're a bona fide super basshead, lol. That clip you linked will sound just awesome with the IM70. 

Jan 25, 2015 at 1:41 AM Post #1,544 of 3,060

I think the IM70 will serve you well with all of those. Treble is a bit smooth for classical but the spatial presentation and layering is great with it. 

Unfortunately I can't get a hold of a ATH IM70 that ships to Norway. Only one I can find is the IM50. I've looked a little bit different places, like ebay, amazon and cdjapan. You know anywhere else to shop? Or do you know of any headset as good as the IM70 for the price?

Jan 25, 2015 at 1:45 AM Post #1,545 of 3,060
Unfortunately I can't get a hold of a ATH IM70 that ships to Norway. Only one I can find is the IM50. I've looked a little bit different places, like ebay, amazon and cdjapan. You know anywhere else to shop? Or do you know of any headset as good as the IM70 for the price?

How about these guys?

http://store.treoo.com/main/audio-technica-ath-im70-in-ear-earphone.html

Users who are viewing this thread

Back