Review of Audio Technica ATH-IM01, ATH-IM02, ATH-IM03, ATH-IM04, ATH-IM50, & ATH-IM70
Sep 26, 2014 at 2:38 PM Post #1,081 of 3,060
  Thanks for your help, I knew this, but Wokei has convinced me that to get an amp 
biggrin.gif

Yeah, blame it on Wokei
tongue.gif
  Seriously, amp is a great idea to have and NX1 cost peanuts.  I would like to hear you impression once you get it and how much does it actually enhances the sound from LO of X1, not just making it louder but actually adding dimension to a sound, more details, wider soundstage?

Sep 26, 2014 at 3:11 PM Post #1,082 of 3,060

Yeah, blame it on Wokei
tongue.gif
  Seriously, amp is a great idea to have and NX1 cost peanuts.  I would like to hear you impression once you get it and how much does it actually enhances the sound from LO of X1, not just making it louder but actually adding dimension to a sound, more details, wider soundstage?

I'll certainly try to do that once I actually get all my money together to buy stuff. I'm a student so making decisions and making money aren't very easy to do

Sep 29, 2014 at 10:32 AM Post #1,083 of 3,060
Have the IM-03 on order, have a question (maybe a noob question)

I noticed on many IEM's with removable cable, the pins are housed in the cable ends but with the ATH units, the pins are housed in the IEM itself. Is there any specific reason for that? (I know people say it locks pretty securely)

Sep 29, 2014 at 10:50 AM Post #1,084 of 3,060
  Have the IM-03 on order, have a question (maybe a noob question)

I noticed on many IEM's with removable cable, the pins are housed in the cable ends but with the ATH units, the pins are housed in the IEM itself. Is there any specific reason for that? (I know people say it locks pretty securely)

That's not a nooby question at all!  
etysmile.gif

For example, the old Westone cable...

The main reason that came to mind is that having the pins on the cable itself makes for a weaker joint.  Now, fans of the "old" Westones will probably tell you that the cable is just fine, etc., but in the hands of a somewhat more careless individual (there's those of us out there...), it is conceivable that he/she may accidentally snap the cable in place.  Furthermore, the cable design that AT opted for is the 2 pin, which is much weaker than the MMCX model.  Just wiggling the cable around can cause the two pins to either warp or damage internal components.

Now, I'm not saying that this isn't possible with the new fire-wire style ATH-IM series cables, but it is much less likely I'd say.

Part of the reason why this is all possible is because of the relatively bulky housing of the IM series, which makes it possible to contain the pin inside the earphones.  The Westones and Shures have a true negative profile, making it very difficult to do the same thing.

Now, I'm not too sure about the engineering benefits.  If anyone wants to chime in, that'd be great.

Sep 29, 2014 at 11:03 AM Post #1,085 of 3,060
  That's not a nooby question at all!  
etysmile.gif

For example, the old Westone cable...

The main reason that came to mind is that having the pins on the cable itself makes for a weaker joint.  Now, fans of the "old" Westones will probably tell you that the cable is just fine, etc., but in the hands of a somewhat more careless individual (there's those of us out there...), it is conceivable that he/she may accidentally snap the cable in place.  Furthermore, the cable design that AT opted for is the 2 pin, which is much weaker than the MMCX model.  Just wiggling the cable around can cause the two pins to either warp or damage internal components.

Now, I'm not saying that this isn't possible with the new fire-wire style ATH-IM series cables, but it is much less likely I'd say.

Part of the reason why this is all possible is because of the relatively bulky housing of the IM series, which makes it possible to contain the pin inside the earphones.  The Westones and Shures have a true negative profile, making it very difficult to do the same thing.

Now, I'm not too sure about the engineering benefits.  If anyone wants to chime in, that'd be great.

Many thanks for the response and explanation. I've read of some faults with the MMCX connector with issues pertaining to wear over time. 

It would be cool if AT released some information behind their design, at least in regards to the actual connection between the cable and IEM. They seem good about putting out info otherwise. 

Sep 29, 2014 at 8:49 PM Post #1,086 of 3,060
I'm really happy to inform that this little mod is just brilhant!!!
I had already enjoyed the im50 sound sig, but felt the bass a bit loose sometimes and the mids where somewhat "hold back" by something.

Then I remove the filter with a needle and.... WOW!!!!

Every single aspect just got better!! I really enjoy how it sounds now!!!
Even the instrument separation and bass tightness improved substantially.

I have a vsd3s too, and prefere the im50 sound sig by miles!
However, the fit, size, confort and isolation from vsd3s are still the best.

Thanks for the tip ozkan!!!!!

Sep 30, 2014 at 12:27 AM Post #1,087 of 3,060
I'm really happy to inform that this little mod is just brilhant!!!
I had already enjoyed the im50 sound sig, but felt the bass a bit loose sometimes and the mids where somewhat "hold back" by something.

Then I remove the filter with a needle and.... WOW!!!!

Every single aspect just got better!! I really enjoy how it sounds now!!!
Even the instrument separation and bass tightness improved substantially.

I have a vsd3s too, and prefere the im50 sound sig by miles!
However, the fit, size, confort and isolation from vsd3s are still the best.

Thanks for the tip ozkan!!!!!

You're referring to the foam like material in the nozzle, right? I always assumed it had some sort of dampening background... Does the removal of this piece have a similar effect for the other IM series models? It'd be hard to return it once removed..

Sep 30, 2014 at 5:20 AM Post #1,088 of 3,060
You're referring to the foam like material in the nozzle, right? I always assumed it had some sort of dampening background... Does the removal of this piece have a similar effect for the other IM series models? It'd be hard to return it once removed..

Yes, you can apply this mod to all IM series. I haven't tried this with other IM BA series but it works perfectly fine with IM50/70. And you can always put back on the filters if you don't like the sound as there is some glue around the filters. The mod is reversible. 

Sep 30, 2014 at 7:24 AM Post #1,089 of 3,060
Yes, you can apply this mod to all IM series. I haven't tried this with other IM BA series but it works perfectly fine with IM50/70. And you can always put back on the filters if you don't like the sound as there is some glue around the filters. The mod is reversible. 

Ah, but as I recall the filters on the non BA series are thin disc like structures. This is not the case with the BA series. The 01/02 filters could be described as wool being stuffed into a tube.

Sep 30, 2014 at 7:42 AM Post #1,090 of 3,060
Ah, but as I recall the filters on the non BA series are thin disc like structures. This is not the case with the BA series. The 01/02 filters could be described as wool being stuffed into a tube.

Yea, definitely not a great idea to remove them on the BA series, especially if you have resale in mind.  To be honest, this mod seems like it would turn the BA series into a wooly/foamy disaster.  Would use caution...

Sep 30, 2014 at 9:25 AM Post #1,091 of 3,060
Yea, definitely not a great idea to remove them on the BA series, especially if you have resale in mind.  To be honest, this mod seems like it would turn the BA series into a wooly/foamy disaster.  Would use caution...

I'm less worried about the resell value, but more concerned about running the sound signature.. I really doubt I could get the foam back into the nozzle. If it really is some sort of dampening component its removal could prove fatal to the IEMs :frowning2:

Sep 30, 2014 at 11:09 AM Post #1,092 of 3,060
Anyone have experience using Triple Flange on these?

To date, Shure's triple flange was the perfect fit and sound for me. I used the ones from my old Shure's on my TDK, couldn't use it on the JVC due to the size of the nozzle but I still miss that. Would be cool if they would pair together with the IM series well.

Sep 30, 2014 at 5:51 PM Post #1,093 of 3,060
Anybody gonna try the latest $70 Lunashops cable? Still need enough impressions on the $40 one :) and what it does for the IM series. 

Sep 30, 2014 at 11:12 PM Post #1,094 of 3,060
Sep 30, 2014 at 11:20 PM Post #1,095 of 3,060
I wonder if the cables are really OCC and not a typo of "OFC".

It's a Chinese/HK website after all...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back