Review of Audio Technica ATH-IM01, ATH-IM02, ATH-IM03, ATH-IM04, ATH-IM50, & ATH-IM70
Jun 29, 2014 at 12:59 PM Post #751 of 3,060
  i sure the fit is ok, soundstage is small, that is the true, but, bass mid treb are pretty good

Maybe you just have different taste/perception in sound?  Between your mentioning of IM02 having a small soundstage (I don't recall that at all, had IM02 review sample for a week, very impressive, and btw bass is good in quality but not quantity) and your recent comment about AP100 sounding "crappy", perhaps we just have to agree to disagree
biggrin.gif

Not trying to give you a hard time.  That's a beauty of head-fi, we can all express our opinion no matter how different it is from majority of others or how bad of a day you're having so far
wink.gif
  Welcome to Head-fi!

Jul 1, 2014 at 1:01 PM Post #752 of 3,060
  Hi There, How are the ATH-IM50/70,& IM01 compared to RHA MA750? Any feedback would be great, Thank You.

I tried MA750 yesterday, I would say comparable to IM50/IM70. MA750 stainless steel housing is very nice, I like it better than IM50 and IM70 housing. But sound quality comparable to IM50 & IM70.  I have tendency to like the IM50 & IM70 more, but not by much.

As for IM01, it's sweet, but doesn't have a lot of oomph.  Different sound signature.  I may prefer MA750 over IM01.

Jul 1, 2014 at 4:50 PM Post #753 of 3,060

I tried MA750 yesterday, I would say comparable to IM50/IM70. MA750 stainless steel housing is very nice, I like it better than IM50 and IM70 housing. But sound quality comparable to IM50 & IM70.  I have tendency to like the IM50 & IM70 more, but not by much.

As for IM01, it's sweet, but doesn't have a lot of oomph.  Different sound signature.  I may prefer MA750 over IM01.

Awesome, Thanks for your feedback.

Jul 1, 2014 at 11:21 PM Post #754 of 3,060
I may be in Tokyo for a day next week, where is the best place to buy the AT IEMs?

I got a chance to hear the IM03 and several other IEMs in Bangkok last week. I liked the IM03s with my DX90. There were so many IEMs to hear in such a short time it was a bit overwhelming.

Jul 2, 2014 at 3:55 AM Post #755 of 3,060
Bic Camera had the best price on my IM03. If you claim tax-free and use the VISA in Japan 5%.
http://www.visa-news.jp/visitjapan/i-merchant/01bic.html

Yodobashi was also ok but Bic camera was cheaper with the Visa deal.

And if you are in Tokyo I also really really recommend e-earphone in Akiba. Prices are good and can compete with the larger stores, demo listening selection is fantastic and you can find great deals on used gear. In the larger department stores many of the higher end In-ears are locked in and you need staff to help if you want a listen. At e-earphone more of the good stuff is up for demo all the time.

This was from my visit a few months ago.

Jul 3, 2014 at 9:38 PM Post #756 of 3,060
Bic Camera had the best price on my IM03. If you claim tax-free and use the VISA in Japan 5%.
http://www.visa-news.jp/visitjapan/i-merchant/01bic.html

Yodobashi was also ok but Bic camera was cheaper with the Visa deal.

And if you are in Tokyo I also really really recommend e-earphone in Akiba. Prices are good and can compete with the larger stores, demo listening selection is fantastic and you can find great deals on used gear. In the larger department stores many of the higher end In-ears are locked in and you need staff to help if you want a listen. At e-earphone more of the good stuff is up for demo all the time.

This was from my visit a few months ago.

+1 on this. Was just in Japan last week and ended up picking up quite a few items at Bic Camera. Its worth it with the tax free (Remember to bring your passport) and the VISA discount.

Jul 7, 2014 at 12:46 AM Post #757 of 3,060
Hi everyone. I just got the IM50s and while they sound great, they hiss a lot on my HTC One (M7). Is there any way of eliminating the hiss other than getting a new phone? Btw I use Spotify (the free version) on my phone a lot and thus recommending a DAP would not be practical for me.

Thanks 

Jul 7, 2014 at 12:51 AM Post #758 of 3,060
  Hi everyone. I just got the IM50s and while they sound great, they hiss a lot on my HTC One (M7). Is there any way of eliminating the hiss other than getting a new phone?

Thanks 

Try to use larger bore eartips. 
I tried them with ATH-IM03, the hiss reduced.

Jul 7, 2014 at 1:28 AM Post #760 of 3,060
Hi everyone. I just got the IM50s and while they sound great, they hiss a lot on my HTC One (M7). Is there any way of eliminating the hiss other than getting a new phone? Btw I use Spotify (the free version) on my phone a lot and thus recommending a DAP would not be practical for me.

Thanks 

That's strange, HTC1 suppose to be good in audio. I use M50 on my galaxy S4, no hiss.

You may want to try this one:
http://hifimediy.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=62&product_id=124

Jul 7, 2014 at 1:38 AM Post #761 of 3,060
  Try to use larger bore eartips. 
I tried them with ATH-IM03, the hiss reduced.

What do you mean by larger bore?

That's strange, HTC1 suppose to be good in audio. I use M50 on my galaxy S4, no hiss.

You may want to try this one:
http://hifimediy.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=62&product_id=124

I don't think it's that good in audio though. When you say you used M50 on galaxy S4, do you mean IM50? 
btw I'm from Singapore too, is there any local solution (impedance adapter/android DAC)
Thanks once again

Jul 7, 2014 at 1:49 AM Post #762 of 3,060

I don't think it's that good in audio though. When you say you used M50 on galaxy S4, do you mean IM50? 
btw I'm from Singapore too, is there any local solution (impedance adapter/android DAC)
Thanks once again

Eartips like JVC Spiral Dots tips, it has a big hole rather than stock eartips.

Jul 7, 2014 at 1:55 AM Post #763 of 3,060

Thanks once again

Yes, typo, i mean IM50.
I have the hifimediy android dac if you want to try. Just pm me.

Larger bore = larger hole

Jul 7, 2014 at 1:12 PM Post #764 of 3,060

Thanks once again

Do you have hissing with IM50 only or with all IEMs?  If it's with all IEMs, that's a noise floor from electronic components in your phone, they don't have room for big filtering caps and ground is shared between internal DAC and every other component cramped inside of the phone.  External DAC like HiFimeDIY will do the trick.  We have a thread on head-fi about it, I even posted a short review in there as well (or checkout my review on XDA: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2758213).  That's the cheapest and the most efficient solution you can have, as long as your phone supports OTG USB.

If hissing varies between different IEMs in your collections, that's due to higher sensitivity of headphones and driving power of your phone (are you stock or custom ROM?).  Impedance adapter, something like 75ohm (http://penonaudio.com/3.5mm-Inpedance-Plug) can do the trick.  It helped me a lot driving high sensitivity ZA Doppios from my high power output AP100.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back