Review of Audio Technica ATH-IM01, ATH-IM02, ATH-IM03, ATH-IM04, ATH-IM50, & ATH-IM70
Jun 26, 2014 at 1:07 AM Post #738 of 3,060
Center image sounds fine. Nothing noticably out of place compared to my other iems (dunu dn1k, kef m200, jvc fxd 60, im50 and havi b3). I dont think phase coherence is an issue with the im02.

I don't hear any phase incoherent issue on IM02, Imaging is very clear and focus. The only problem is only treble rise with high output impedance player. No issue with low impedance player.

Jun 26, 2014 at 8:21 AM Post #739 of 3,060
I've had a pair of IM03s for a few weeks now and find them to be quite disappointing. 

Was basically looking for an ER4S like sound with a bit more bass but the mids and highs on the IM03s are muddled by comparison.

Jun 26, 2014 at 9:48 AM Post #740 of 3,060
  I've had a pair of IM03s for a few weeks now and find them to be quite disappointing. 

Was basically looking for an ER4S like sound with a bit more bass but the mids and highs on the IM03s are muddled by comparison.

This is the first time I heard, that IM03 sounds muddled. May I know what player you use?

Jun 26, 2014 at 3:59 PM Post #741 of 3,060

This is the first time I heard, that IM03 sounds muddled. May I know what player you use?

Yes, if anything Ety's should be compared to IM02.  IM03 will have more bass, sound warmer, maybe have a slight perception of a bit recessed mids (not as midcentric as IM02), but I would not consider them sounding muddied.  I have been listening a lot lately to Tenores and IM03, so this is not an ear burn in where I got "adjusted" to IM03 signature and in denial now lol!!!

Jun 27, 2014 at 6:35 AM Post #742 of 3,060
  Honestly, I cant really say if the phase lead/lag has any effect on the IM02's sound. I dont think it is detectable to an average listener. 

I don't think we're "average" are we? :D

But thanks for the input.Couldn't resist and went to audition the IM02/03/04. Sadly, found them all to lose the natural timbre of instruments and voice. I can only guess that to be the phase issues GoldenEars found.

But the good thing is IM50/70 do sound natural. FR is a different discussion but the natural timbre is all there.
oh, CKRs too! The 9 and 10 both have wonderful natural timbre. Very impressive.

Jun 27, 2014 at 1:24 PM Post #743 of 3,060
I've tried some eartips that compatible with my ATH-IM03.

As far as I know, IM series stock tips aren't good enough. It's stiff, and the treble goes wild.
First tips I tried was Sony Hybrids. It was a good tips. Bass was full sounding, full bodied, and impactful. Therefore, the treble quite sharp and mid was very thin.

So I changed to Comply Foams. It was a good pairs of eartips, the treble goes smoother, mid also thicker. But, my ear canals have a weird shape.The foam were folded in my ears and blocked the sound, so the sound was really muddy and dull.

And then I changed to Unknown Foam, it's stiffer than Comply. The sound are more open and spacious than Comply, but because my ear canals have a weird shape, it blocked the sound again.

I tried the JVC Spiral Dots. It's a unique tips with dots inside. The treble smoother than Hybrids, but not reaching the level of Foam's treble. It's still sparkling. But, with JVC Spiral Dots I think the bottom end was missing. There's no low end.

Finally I tried the TDK EC200 Clef-R stock eartips. But, those bore was so short. So I modded them, using inverted size L. I think name of this mod is rolling tips, isn't right?
The sound is really good. Treble so smooth yet can sparkling, mid is thick enough, bass is full bodied and impactful yet not same as Hybrids. Hybrids more impactful.

Images
https://fbcdn-sphotos-e-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xaf1/t1.0-9/10492107_10204056728287874_8127393258238878167_n.jpg
https://fbcdn-sphotos-g-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xpa1/t1.0-9/10511218_10204056728247873_4653630190006896987_n.jpg

Jun 27, 2014 at 10:47 PM Post #745 of 3,060
  IM02? imaging is very normal, doesn't good or bad. but, soundstage- it's very very small

Are you sure the fit is ok and the player is good?  IM02 imaging is pretty wide, clear and focus. When you feel soundstage is small, I think something wrong there...

IM03 does affected by player / amp output impedance.  The higher the output impedance, the treble clarity reduces.  I suspect you use player with high output impedance such as mobile phone.  On some mobile phone, like for example my old Galaxy S2, the output impedance is 50 ohm, and it does reduce the clarity of IM03, therefore might sounds a bit muddied. Try not to use output impedance more than 10 ohms with IM03.  The 1st generation of AK100 with 20 ohms output impedance already a bit too high if you want higher level of clarity.

Jun 28, 2014 at 1:44 AM Post #746 of 3,060
Generally a lurker in Head-fi. However I just feel that I need to give my comments on the IM03. My first venture into Head Fi was by buying my first pair of IEMs, in my case the Etymotic HF5. My friends always said there was a lack of bass, so they didnt really like it even though the mids and treble had so much clarity compared to any other IEM they have used before. However my story with the HF5 ended prematurely as I lost it one day on the way to work.

So i immediately set my eyes for the next upgrade for my IEM. My favourite IEM that i wanted to upgrade to was originally the UM3x. However due to me using a LG G2 as my source most of the time, the UM3x gave an unbearable amount of hissing,and therefore I was off to explore for a new set of IEMs that could be used with the LG G2, and would improve should I ever upgrade my source. Thats when I first auditioned this AT series of IEMs.

I was never really impressed by Audio Technica despite their well established background in the Head-Fi world. However the first time i tried the IM02 it blew me away. Clarity outdoing the Hf5 with more bass to boot, vocals never had such clarity before. However it could not match with my G2, so i decided to try the IM03. Playing my first few songs, I was already hooked on to it. The warmth and the overall tonality of the music felt right. Even though it could not offer the same level of clarity as the IM02, it just sounded right in every way. Bass was full and tight, and never bloated. To me it all sounded very natural, and it was the right sound signature for me. Natural, smooth, warm and musical. Thats how i would describe how i fell in love with my IM03. Oh that and it is extremely source friendly compared to the others in the series. 

Now i'm awaiting the Thor OCC SPC cable i ordered from Effect Audio, to see if the level of music i am experiencing now can be elevated even further. Haha right now i am very satisfied with my IEMs, and have not felt upgraditis for the past 4 months that I've owned it. Not even when trying CIEMs or IEMs with a much higher price tag such as the 1964 V6/S, K3003s, UM50 etc.  Thank you Audio Technica for releasing such excellent IEMs.

PS
I use comply foam tips. 

Jun 28, 2014 at 1:26 PM Post #747 of 3,060
  I was never really impressed by Audio Technica despite their well established background in the Head-Fi world. However the first time i tried the IM02 it blew me away. Clarity outdoing the Hf5 with more bass to boot, vocals never had such clarity before. However it could not match with my G2, so i decided to try the IM03. Playing my first few songs, I was already hooked on to it. The warmth and the overall tonality of the music felt right. Even though it could not offer the same level of clarity as the IM02, it just sounded right in every way. Bass was full and tight, and never bloated. To me it all sounded very natural, and it was the right sound signature for me. Natural, smooth, warm and musical. Thats how i would describe how i fell in love with my IM03. Oh that and it is extremely source friendly compared to the others in the series. 

Now i'm awaiting the Thor OCC SPC cable i ordered from Effect Audio, to see if the level of music i am experiencing now can be elevated even further. Haha right now i am very satisfied with my IEMs, and have not felt upgraditis for the past 4 months that I've owned it. Not even when trying CIEMs or IEMs with a much higher price tag such as the 1964 V6/S, K3003s, UM50 etc.  Thank you Audio Technica for releasing such excellent IEMs.

PS
I use comply foam tips. 

Glad you like them!
Let us know your impression for OCC SPC cable when you have it.

Jun 28, 2014 at 1:28 PM Post #748 of 3,060
  I've tried some eartips that compatible with my ATH-IM03.

As far as I know, IM series stock tips aren't good enough. It's stiff, and the treble goes wild.
First tips I tried was Sony Hybrids. It was a good tips. Bass was full sounding, full bodied, and impactful. Therefore, the treble quite sharp and mid was very thin.

So I changed to Comply Foams. It was a good pairs of eartips, the treble goes smoother, mid also thicker. But, my ear canals have a weird shape.The foam were folded in my ears and blocked the sound, so the sound was really muddy and dull.

And then I changed to Unknown Foam, it's stiffer than Comply. The sound are more open and spacious than Comply, but because my ear canals have a weird shape, it blocked the sound again.

I tried the JVC Spiral Dots. It's a unique tips with dots inside. The treble smoother than Hybrids, but not reaching the level of Foam's treble. It's still sparkling. But, with JVC Spiral Dots I think the bottom end was missing. There's no low end.

Finally I tried the TDK EC200 Clef-R stock eartips. But, those bore was so short. So I modded them, using inverted size L. I think name of this mod is rolling tips, isn't right?
The sound is really good. Treble so smooth yet can sparkling, mid is thick enough, bass is full bodied and impactful yet not same as Hybrids. Hybrids more impactful.

Images
https://fbcdn-sphotos-e-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xaf1/t1.0-9/10492107_10204056728287874_8127393258238878167_n.jpg
https://fbcdn-sphotos-g-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xpa1/t1.0-9/10511218_10204056728247873_4653630190006896987_n.jpg

Interesting mod.  Thanks for sharing!

Jun 29, 2014 at 11:05 AM Post #750 of 3,060

Are you sure the fit is ok and the player is good?  IM02 imaging is pretty wide, clear and focus. When you feel soundstage is small, I think something wrong there...

IM03 does affected by player / amp output impedance.  The higher the output impedance, the treble clarity reduces.  I suspect you use player with high output impedance such as mobile phone.  On some mobile phone, like for example my old Galaxy S2, the output impedance is 50 ohm, and it does reduce the clarity of IM03, therefore might sounds a bit muddied. Try not to use output impedance more than 10 ohms with IM03.  The 1st generation of AK100 with 20 ohms output impedance already a bit too high if you want higher level of clarity.

i sure the fit is ok, soundstage is small, that is the true, but, bass mid treb are pretty good

Users who are viewing this thread

Back