Review of Audio Technica ATH-IM01, ATH-IM02, ATH-IM03, ATH-IM04, ATH-IM50, & ATH-IM70
Apr 19, 2014 at 11:47 AM Post #527 of 3,060
  how about ortofon q5 vs IM02 ?

The eq5 are pretty transparent, but the im02 are a notch above that.

The bass is textured well on the eq5, but the im02 beats it once again, since the vocals aren't liquidish smooth, it has more clarity and are more transparent.

The highs are an improvement on the im02s because to me, the eq5 highs were lacking in extension, and were not clear enough to help out the microdetails.

Apr 19, 2014 at 4:00 PM Post #529 of 3,060
  The eq5 are pretty transparent, but the im02 are a notch above that.

The bass is textured well on the eq5, but the im02 beats it once again, since the vocals aren't liquidish smooth, it has more clarity and are more transparent.

The highs are an improvement on the im02s because to me, the eq5 highs were lacking in extension, and were not clear enough to help out the microdetails.

I agree with you. Upper mids were too harsh on e-q5. That's why I have sold it. It doesn't exist on IM02 and vocals are also more natural on IM02.

Apr 19, 2014 at 5:11 PM Post #530 of 3,060
Say... If I'm someone who doesn't appreciate vocals as much as widdly-widdly (shred) and chugga-chugga guitar stuff, should I still consider the IM02s or IM03s? 

Almost all the reviews here praise these IEMs for their vocals, what about guitars then?

Apr 19, 2014 at 8:33 PM Post #531 of 3,060
It's very close. I've been A/Bing them today, the IM02 is a little thicker and warmer and the ER-4's mids are a hair flatter. But they are very, very close IMO.

Can you comment on transparency? Part of what makes the er-4s so special to me is the transparency and clarity of the midrange. How does the im-02 stack up here?

The ER-4S might be a hair flatter and less coloured through the mids, but only a hair. Remember I'm using a shallow insertion of the etys if that makes a difference.

Apr 20, 2014 at 3:42 AM Post #532 of 3,060
Well, I finally pulled the trigger and ordered the IM70 (more like forced since my SE215s were attacked by a black hole :frown: )
But I don't know. Probably should have went all in on the IM02. Better yet I'll snag them later maybe? [Been dying to get my ears around some BAs and get cold feet at the last second, how silly of me :p ]

Apr 20, 2014 at 8:43 AM Post #533 of 3,060
Well, I finally pulled the trigger and ordered the IM70 (more like forced since my SE215s were attacked by a black hole
frown.gif
)
But I don't know. Probably should have went all in on the IM02. Better yet I'll snag them later maybe? [Been dying to get my ears around some BAs and get cold feet at the last second, how silly of me
tongue.gif
]

If you got your IM70 because of the bass, IM02 will not satisfy you.  I had IM02 for a short while, those are great analytical/detailed IEMs, but they are neutral with hardly any bass quantity.  Better go with IM03 - you get a decent bass and nice upfront mids with a great treble extension.

Apr 20, 2014 at 11:01 AM Post #535 of 3,060
If you got your IM70 because of the bass, IM02 will not satisfy you.  I had IM02 for a short while, those are great analytical/detailed IEMs, but they are neutral with hardly any bass quantity.  Better go with IM03 - you get a decent bass and nice upfront mids with a great treble extension.
No, bass wasn't a selling point. Trying to work myself away from the stuff :p The energy the Dynamic drivers exude will work better for my music. And when I read they apperantly wont actually be sold in the States I was determined. I wanted them since the other thread was started on them, but still just havent gonten myself any BAs. Oh well.

Apr 20, 2014 at 11:06 AM Post #536 of 3,060

So, would you say 03 provides more details than 02 with more bass?

Apr 20, 2014 at 6:38 PM Post #539 of 3,060
  So, would you say 03 provides more details than 02 with more bass?

No, IM02 is an analytical beast on a level of Ety's.  It was too revealing and bright for my taste.  I can only take it as far as RE400 :)  What's great about IM03 is that you get plenty of bass, and don't have to worry about v-shaped "fun" sound typical with other IEMs.  Though I would like to believe IM03 is balanced, sometime after listening to W40, it feels like having a slightly upfront mids.

Apr 21, 2014 at 4:37 AM Post #540 of 3,060

No, IM02 is an analytical beast on a level of Ety's.  It was too revealing and bright for my taste.  I can only take it as far as RE400 :)  What's great about IM03 is that you get plenty of bass, and don't have to worry about v-shaped "fun" sound typical with other IEMs.  Though I would like to believe IM03 is balanced, sometime after listening to W40, it feels like having a slightly upfront mids.

I noticed in your signature that you have a UE900 - how does the IM03 compare to it? I tried the UE900 the other day and on top of not liking the fit (I find the shape pretty odd, and the metal edge kept brushing my ear), I find it quite weak on bass. Maybe it's because I've always used dynamic driver earphones but I'm not ready to completely let go of bass yet... do you think IM03 has a stronger bass presence than the UE900?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back