Review of Audio Technica ATH-IM01, ATH-IM02, ATH-IM03, ATH-IM04, ATH-IM50, & ATH-IM70
Apr 16, 2014 at 6:04 AM Post #511 of 3,060
I'm highly intrigued by the initial reviews on ATH IM02.

To current ATH IM02 owners here, have you also owned (or at least... listened to) Sony MDR 7550 (or EX800ST) IEM?  If so, how would you compare IM02 to 7550, sound wise?

Also, Any iPhone 4 owners here?
How does IM02 sound when paired with iPhone 4?  iPhone 4 is the only known source I have that has output impedance rating of less than or equal to 1 Ohm (a requirement as OP mentioned)

Apr 16, 2014 at 8:22 AM Post #512 of 3,060

To current ATH IM02 owners here, have you also owned (or at least... listened to) Sony MDR 7550 (or EX800ST) IEM?  If so, how would you compare IM02 to 7550, sound wise?

How does IM02 sound when paired with iPhone 4?  iPhone 4 is the only known source I have that has output impedance rating of less than or equal to 1 Ohm (a requirement as OP mentioned)

I would say the sound is much more balanced. When i plug the IM02 to my iP, it sound great, just suit my taste when the mid is clear and the treble is sparkle enough. When i plug the IM02 to my laptop, the sound change really different, like night and day. It just harsh imo, the treble is just too sharp therefore sibilant and hiss happens everytime. 

Apr 16, 2014 at 8:54 PM Post #513 of 3,060

I've been using mine mostly out of my headstage arrow 4G, which I think has high output impedance, and they sound FANTASTIC.
I have used them straight out of my iPhone 5 too and they were good from that as well.

Apr 17, 2014 at 1:13 PM Post #514 of 3,060
  I'd say JVC has the best cable of all. Supple, not overly thick, does not cause crazy microphonic when worn down, and importantly, lightweight. FXT90, FXD80Z, and FXC51 are equipped with the best cable in my collection. Yamaha's EPH-100 is also my favorite; lightweight, tough ( been 2 years and remains alive), and slight memory cable in a good way.

+1 
Agree, I also like JVC cables :)

Apr 17, 2014 at 10:08 PM Post #515 of 3,060
IM50/IM70 question here, from a non-expert.

How does the Klipsch s4i compare to both of them? I'm currently using a pair and while I like the sound nice enough, I find the bass too boomy and I'm looking for cleaner sound with a tighter bass. Which one fits what I'm looking for more?

Apr 17, 2014 at 10:53 PM Post #516 of 3,060

How does the Klipsch s4i compare to both of them? I'm currently using a pair and while I like the sound nice enough, I find the bass too boomy and I'm looking for cleaner sound with a tighter bass. Which one fits what I'm looking for more?

I may be wrong here but I'm sure someone mentioned earlier in this thread that the IM50/IM70 is the better IEM. I haven't heard the S4 myself so can't help you there. The IM70 has relatively tight bass though, I love it actually as it hits really deep too but doesn't get messy. I would say the IM70 is more of a fun sounding IEM, very musical, not too coloured though, quite natural. It's a very full, smooth sound. Hope that helped a little.

Apr 17, 2014 at 11:04 PM Post #517 of 3,060
I may be wrong here but I'm sure someone mentioned earlier in this thread that the IM50/IM70 is the better IEM. I can't really help you though as I haven't heard the S4 myself. The IM70 has relatively tight bass though, I love it actually as it hits really deep too but doesn't get messy. I would say the IM70 is more of a fun sounding IEM, very musical, not too coloured though, quite natural. It's a very full, smooth sound.

Thank you, you answered perfectly and without all the technical jargon too! I'm currently leaning towards the IM70 as well although the color is a little off-putting (no offense to those who like it). I've been reading mixed reviews about which of the two has a boomier bass (which I'm trying to avoid as it would be too similar to my s4i) so I thought I'd get some opinions from here first.

Apr 17, 2014 at 11:18 PM Post #518 of 3,060
Thank you, you answered perfectly and without all the technical jargon too! I'm currently leaning towards the IM70 as well although the color is a little off-putting (no offense to those who like it). I've been reading mixed reviews about which of the two has a boomier bass (which I'm trying to avoid as it would be too similar to my s4i) so I thought I'd get some opinions from here first.

No problem, glad I could help :smile:

When looking at pictures, the red looked a bit tacky and cheap but actually in person they look pretty neat to me. Be warned though, they are pretty big (chunky) and won't fit everyone.

Apr 18, 2014 at 1:06 AM Post #519 of 3,060

Klipsch S4 is definitely boomy and has harsh treble at cymbal & hi-hat ones - these sound will be emphasized and will annoy you off. IM70, on the other hand, is opposite to klipsch as bass is tighter ( less bass and less boomy, definitely), more forward mid, and inoffensive treble. One thing to add that IM70 may have small soundstage / intimate in my opinion due to forward vocal. It has very powerful output tho - it's already loud at volume level 3 ( at normal) on my Sansa clip zip. I could think IM70 sound characteristic is similar to UM3x but without the bass bloat ; UM3x also has smoother treble and greater detail and separation. 

Isolation...seems subpar and it's quite uncomfortable.  My JVC FXT90, a vertical double dynamic driver, isolates better than IM70 and offers better comfort. IM70's isolation strength cannot reach the level of EPH-100, W4 and even UM3x -it is because they are way smaller in size compared to IM70.  I have not gotten used with the fit as IM70 is the bulkiest earphones ever - it's twice as thick as westone W4 or GR07. I just had the IM70 for a week so I wish for the best that my ears would get used with it. Hopefully, I will find a strategy how to wear these as it is inconvenient to get good fit compared to my other IEMs. 

I suggest you to get an earphone clipper as the cable is heavy so you won't be tuggin' against the cable. 

Apr 18, 2014 at 7:46 AM Post #520 of 3,060
I have IM50 and IM02 and cant really choose between these two, im50 is all about bass, probably the bassiest earphones I had, excellent for dance music.

IM02 is all about details, very versetile, you could trough anything.

overall my favorite line of headphones out there. ordered AT-HDC5/1.2 cable too and might try higher class phones later

Apr 18, 2014 at 4:08 PM Post #521 of 3,060
I have IM50 and IM02 and cant really choose between these two, im50 is all about bass, probably the bassiest earphones I had, excellent for dance music.

IM02 is all about details, very versetile, you could trough anything.

overall my favorite line of headphones out there. ordered AT-HDC5/1.2 cable too and might try higher class phones later

To help you with your problem, you need to get IM03 :D  It's like a love child of IM50/IM02 where you are going to get bass and details :wink:  You are not going to get as much bass or they will not be as analytical, but its a great compromise if you can't choose between IM50 and IM02.

Apr 19, 2014 at 5:43 AM Post #523 of 3,060
To help you with your problem, you need to get IM03 :D  It's like a love child of IM50/IM02 where you are going to get bass and details :wink:  You are not going to get as much bass or they will not be as analytical, but its a great compromise if you can't choose between IM50 and IM02.

Why would I do that. I would lose what I love about both of these :cool:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back