Review of Audio Technica ATH-IM01, ATH-IM02, ATH-IM03, ATH-IM04, ATH-IM50, & ATH-IM70
Mar 30, 2014 at 10:27 AM Post #421 of 3,060
  For those that have ATH-CK10, would you say any of the IM0X beat the CK10?  I think CK10 is excellent, and just curious if AT has come with better performing products with the new IE0X series.

Maybe I will have to find out for myself.  
basshead.gif

I had the ck10 a few years ago. I think the im02 is very close, with better performing highs and low end.
The im02 is not quite as bright, and the bass is not as recessed.
Still the im02 has the same feeling of air, detail, and impressive ability to catch the highs naturally, cymbals sound like true cymbals. Sound is very natural and not artificial.

Compared with the  im03, that one is darker, but not quite a dark earphone.
I find both to be neutral, but slightly different flavors of neutral.
Hope this helps.

Mar 30, 2014 at 11:36 AM Post #422 of 3,060

I had the ck10 a few years ago. I think the im02 is very close, with better performing highs and low end.
The im02 is not quite as bright, and the bass is not as recessed.
Still the im02 has the same feeling of air, detail, and impressive ability to catch the highs naturally, cymbals sound like true cymbals. Sound is very natural and not artificial.

Compared with the  im03, that one is darker, but not quite a dark earphone.
I find both to be neutral, but slightly different flavors of neutral.
Hope this helps.

Thanks.  By dark you mean the highs are a bit recessed?  That might be something I'm looking for as the CK-10 highers are a bit too much, which I would assume to be similar to IM02.  

I'm guessing IM04 has more lows than the 03, which is something I might be looking for.  So IM04 might be perfect for me if it has more lows and cuts off the highs a bit to decrease sibilance I get with the CK10.

Mar 30, 2014 at 2:18 PM Post #423 of 3,060

Thanks.  By dark you mean the highs are a bit recessed?  That might be something I'm looking for as the CK-10 highers are a bit too much, which I would assume to be similar to IM02.  

I'm guessing IM04 has more lows than the 03, which is something I might be looking for.  So IM04 might be perfect for me if it has more lows and cuts off the highs a bit to decrease sibilance I get with the CK10.

The IM02 has slightly less highs from what I remember of the ck10, which, agreed, were a bit much.

Haven't heard the IM04, which from descriptions earlier in this thread sound as if they could be a different beast all together.
The IM03, on the other hand, are the logical next step in more bass than the 02 while retaining the signature, and still staying fairly neutral and not warm.

Not that I have a problem with warm earphones, I own quite a few of them, enjoy them with specific types of music and find the sound to be more relaxing and laid back than a bright sound signature, which I also enjoy especially with  classical and certain types of jazz music.

Mar 31, 2014 at 9:37 AM Post #425 of 3,060
They do benefit from extra juice. A portable amp will make them sound better, imho.

Mar 31, 2014 at 11:15 AM Post #427 of 3,060
Between IM02 (tested) and IM03 (owned), I would say IM02 sound quality benefits more from a better DAC/amp while IM03 is good to go from any hardware source.  The analytical bright nature of IM02 is more revealing, thus you would want to have a clean source (not necessary power from the amp, but rather clean dedicated DAC or isolated amp).  I felt there was a subtle difference in audio quality driving it from either X5 or Note2+E18 versus driving it straight from my Note2 or laptop/foobar.  IM03 is warmer and more forgiving; to my ears it sounded good from either source.

Mar 31, 2014 at 11:51 AM Post #428 of 3,060
I have the IM02 and I find that the sound quality improves with a good source and amp. My portable setup is currently Leckerton UHA-6 mkII => iPhone 4s. Most noticeable differences are a slightly wider sound stage, tighter bass, blacker background and more transparency compared to just the headphone out of the iPhone 4s. In my opinion, not a night and day difference, but a noticeable difference nonetheless.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mar 31, 2014 at 9:39 PM Post #430 of 3,060
Hi guys!

I'm looking for a new pair of iems and a fellow headfier pointed me to this thread. I mostly listen to rock (Beatles, Muse, Pink Floyd, CCR, Flaming Lips..) and Jazz (Pat Metheny Group, EST, ect) and i love listening to live recordings, plus I'm not a basshead. I'm going to pair them with a Fiio X5. Which IEM should fit the best? I'm asking about these audio technica or other brands. Price range is up to $250. Thanks so much!

Apr 1, 2014 at 12:36 AM Post #431 of 3,060
has anyone done a comparison between the im02 and a twfk based iem like ue700/dba-02 ?

If there won't be any, the best you have at the moment is the im02 vs ck10 comparison. The ck10s are twfk  based, but they lack the bass needed to satiate a totalphile. The mids are great on both, but the im02s provide a bit more crisper detail, just a tiny amount, not that much of a difference. The highs, however, are the difference. The highs have been tamed compared to the ck10s, aren't as silibant, and are definitely not thin or unnatural. The whole spectrum as a whole is natural on the im02s, and not so much with the ck10s.

Apr 1, 2014 at 12:38 AM Post #432 of 3,060
Tonight I finally broke out the new HDC5/1.2 cables that I ordered with my IM02's. Using them on my IM03's.
As I mentioned over PM to another member:

About an hour into the new cables, so far - greater resolution, more detail, brings the earphones up a notch overall.
Will have to compare against original cables to confirm this, in case my memory is failing me, but so far I'm impressed.

Using it with my modified AK100, with the boost on, which increases the output signal by 3db. I had noticed earlier that the IM03's sound better with that setting.

Apr 1, 2014 at 12:41 AM Post #433 of 3,060
Anyone compared this to Westone W-10? Which IEM is better overall? (When you factor in sound + comfort + build quality)

I'm willing to take a little bit of a hit on sound quality (I think the ATH IM02 has better sound quality than Westone W10) if the build quality and comfort of the westone are better. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back