Review of Audio Technica ATH-IM01, ATH-IM02, ATH-IM03, ATH-IM04, ATH-IM50, & ATH-IM70
Mar 6, 2014 at 8:25 AM Post #226 of 3,060
I usually listen to my beyerdynamic t1 but I wanted a decent set of iem to use with my phone without spending that much as I've blown too much money thanks to this site so I ordered the im70. I hope its as good as some of you say it is. Is it better than the klipsch s4? My gf has those and they sound decent for the money but I wanted something different.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

I do like IM50 and IM70 better than S4.

Mar 6, 2014 at 8:25 AM Post #227 of 3,060
  Just picked up a pair of IM50's from AccessoryJack - looking forward to them based on your review.

beerchug.gif

Mar 6, 2014 at 2:57 PM Post #229 of 3,060
  Is Accessory Jack reliable? First time hearing of them, cheapest I found so far for the IM70's. Wonder where they are based and how the warranty works, etc.

Have bought from them a half dozen times or so. They are reliable, and nice to work with. 

Mar 6, 2014 at 4:16 PM Post #230 of 3,060
Guess what came in the mail today at work.  
etysmile.gif

Sorry for the crappy cell phone pictures, but hey, we use what we have.
Cheers. 

Mar 7, 2014 at 7:40 AM Post #233 of 3,060
Just curious why you chose IM03? I got IM02 yesterday, haven't even unboxed them yet, can't wait. Will post my impressions over the weekend.

Mar 7, 2014 at 1:09 PM Post #234 of 3,060
Those IM03 look great.  I must stay off this site or I'll want to buy more expensive IEM.  When I bought my beyerdynamic T1 and schiit stack I said to myself I will not spend a lot on a portable set of headphones since I do most of my listening at home on the computer.  But now I want something for my phone to listen as I fall asleep to.  I guess I'll give the IM70 a go.  Hopefully they will be good enough to where I won't feel the itch of spending a lot more.

Mar 7, 2014 at 2:48 PM Post #236 of 3,060
Anyone know if the cables are interchangeable? I mean, if I decided if I want to replace the IM70 cable, if I get it. Talking to a seller, actually. Now to convince myself and others that I need to buy it.

Mar 7, 2014 at 3:11 PM Post #237 of 3,060
Just curious why you chose IM03? I got IM02 yesterday, haven't even unboxed them yet, can't wait. Will post my impressions over the weekend.

Wanted the nice sparkle that I read both 02 and 03 have, as well as the extra bass extension that the 03 has. 
The 04, again from reviews, doesn't seem to have the detail of the other two, and is also much more expensive.

Mar 7, 2014 at 3:50 PM Post #238 of 3,060

Wanted the nice sparkle that I read both 02 and 03 have, as well as the extra bass extension that the 03 has. 
The 04, again from reviews, doesn't seem to have the detail of the other two, and is also much more expensive.

One of these days we gotta have NJ/NY meet-up of head-fiers just so we can put together our headphones into a sound pool lol!

I had a little bit of time to listen to 02 in the morning, than put it through 3+ hr of burn in with pink noise loop (actually saw some improvement in treble, after burn in felt a bit tighter and not as harsh).  My initial impression: they are mid-centric with a detailed, bright, upfront mids and great upper frequency sparkle.  Bass has a great quality, but anemic when it comes to quantity.  You hear a punch but there is no weight behind it, and no sub-bass texture.  I tested it both on my X5 and Note 2.  Easy to drive from either.  Actually 02 reminds me a lot of UE900, just a tad less details.  In general I think it's pretty good considering you get a very close sound signature with only 2 BA driver and for at least half of the price.  Also, upper mids/treble details remind me a little bit of surgical precision of Etymotic HF2.

These have a great build quality, and very manageable shape to fit comfortable in your ears.  Removable cable is durable; 2-pin connection is secure.  The memory flex wire is ok, and I'm very happy AT included a rectangular zip case - keeps pre-shaped wires from being bent inside of the case..  For under $200 these definitely have a great value, but if you are craving more bass - probably not the best choice.  Will be curious to hear your 03 impression.

Mar 7, 2014 at 4:14 PM Post #239 of 3,060
One of these days we gotta have NJ/NY meet-up of head-fiers just so we can put together our headphones into a sound pool lol!

I had a little bit of time to listen to 02 in the morning, than put it through 3+ hr of burn in with pink noise loop (actually saw some improvement in treble, after burn in felt a bit tighter and not as harsh).  My initial impression: they are mid-centric with a detailed, bright, upfront mids and great upper frequency sparkle.  Bass has a great quality, but anemic when it comes to quantity.  You hear a punch but there is no weight behind it, and no sub-bass texture.  I tested it both on my X5 and Note 2.  Easy to drive from either.  Actually 02 reminds me a lot of UE900, just a tad less details.  In general I think it's pretty good considering you get a very close sound signature with only 2 BA driver and for at least half of the price.  Also, upper mids/treble details remind me a little bit of surgical precision of Etymotic HF2.

These have a great build quality, and very manageable shape to fit comfortable in your ears.  Removable cable is durable; 2-pin connection is secure.  The memory flex wire is ok, and I'm very happy AT included a rectangular zip case - keeps pre-shaped wires from being bent inside of the case..  For under $200 these definitely have a great value, but if you are craving more bass - probably not the best choice.  Will be curious to hear your 03 impression.

Weird, i hear enough bass quantity pn these earphones, then again, i burned them in +200 hours. I had the same experience you did however. Wait until you burn th in! :D

Mar 7, 2014 at 4:29 PM Post #240 of 3,060
Weird, i hear enough bass quantity pn these earphones, then again, i burned them in +200 hours. I had the same experience you did however. Wait until you burn th in!
biggrin.gif

When it comes to bass, we all got a different threshold and taste; as they say YMMV :wink:  I'm comparing these to my W40, but it's  true only burned them in for 3+ hours.  So you are saying you had the same experience at first and then bass improved?  Back to burning!!! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back