Review of Audio Technica ATH-IM01, ATH-IM02, ATH-IM03, ATH-IM04, ATH-IM50, & ATH-IM70
Feb 22, 2014 at 10:43 AM Post #151 of 3,060

What about IM02? Does it have similarities to AT CK10 if you have heard that?

sorry, I haven't heard yet the ck10 
tongue.gif

Feb 22, 2014 at 11:37 AM Post #152 of 3,060
  You know what at first when IM50s were new and not burned-in, the bass was more impactful than it is now. It seems that with burn-in period the bass decreased someway. It can be weird but did anyone experience the same thing?

I didn't burn-in mine, since it is already sounds good out of the box. But you might be right, after using it for about 2 weeks now, I do feel that it is a little less bassy now,... but I'm not very sure, is it caused by hours of usage, or is it because I get used to the bass...

Feb 23, 2014 at 2:51 AM Post #154 of 3,060
You know what at first when IM50s were new and not burned-in, the bass was more impactful than it is now. It seems that with burn-in period the bass decreased someway. It can be weird but did anyone experience the same thing?

Had the same experience too. I'm quite sure it's not brain burn in as I'm not using the IM50 extensively but instead switching them around. I feel that the bass became tighter and more controlled whilst biting away some of the quantity. It still sounds good though! :)

Feb 23, 2014 at 3:52 AM Post #155 of 3,060
I wonder if there is anyone who tried IM50/70 without fiters. I realised that w/o filters the sound is much more clearer and no sibilance to be afraid of.

Just tried the filter mod on my IM50. Immediate results has been positive for me. Without the filters on, I was greeted by a more apparent, forward treble presentation and clarity. Details became more profound too. Probably due to the enhanced clarity. No effects on the bass though. Would recommend those with IM50/70 to try out this mod. It is reversible but you have to be careful when taking out the filters. The filters are sticky which I believed is being held on by glue, hence can be applied back on if you do not like the sound after the mod.

Feb 23, 2014 at 4:51 AM Post #156 of 3,060
Just tried the filter mod on my IM50. Immediate results has been positive for me. Without the filters on, I was greeted by a more apparent, forward treble presentation and clarity. Details became more profound too. Probably due to the enhanced clarity. No effects on the bass though. Would recommend those with IM50/70 to try out this mod. It is reversible but you have to be careful when taking out the filters. The filters are sticky which I believed is being held on by glue, hence can be applied back on if you do not like the sound after the mod.

Nice! Still, nobody with the 70 has done it yet? Unless I missed it.

Feb 23, 2014 at 9:46 AM Post #157 of 3,060

Glad you liked the mod but from my experience the bass should be more clear, faster and precise too. Did you also change the tips? If you are on the stock tips, it is normal to hear like that.

Feb 23, 2014 at 9:59 AM Post #158 of 3,060
Glad you liked the mod but from my experience the bass should be more clear, faster and precise too. Did you also change the tips? If you are on the stock tips, it is normal to hear like that.

Yes I'm on Sony hybrids. I feel that with the filters on, Audio Techinica is going for a more conservative tuning. More to prevent long hours of listening fatigues.

Feb 24, 2014 at 7:35 PM Post #161 of 3,060
  So would you recommend getting the IM02 over the Westone 4R/W40? 

Depend on personal preference.  I had Westone 4 before for about a year till I sold it. Never tried 4R/W40. For me, I prefer IM02 over Westone 4.  IM02 has the detail and transparency, that suits my preference better.  Also IMHO better bass than Westone 4.
But if you like very smooth sound signature, Westone 4 might be better.  IM02 with non matching player might sound too bright and edgy.

Feb 24, 2014 at 8:16 PM Post #163 of 3,060
I did compare IM50 to GR07be. GR07be has more bass and treble extention than IM50 but also has sibilance issue unlike IM50. IM50s mids are more forward and natural sounding (great for vocals). I prefer IM50 over GR07be. I wrote a review here: 

http://www.head-fi.org/products/audio-technica-ath-im50-dual-symphonic-driver-in-ear-monitor-headphones/reviews/10464

Feb 24, 2014 at 8:34 PM Post #164 of 3,060

Users who are viewing this thread

Back