Review of Audio Technica ATH-IM01, ATH-IM02, ATH-IM03, ATH-IM04, ATH-IM50, & ATH-IM70
Oct 23, 2015 at 5:35 PM Post #2,417 of 3,060
Agreed, silicon and hybrid tips are the best for this line

Avoid Comply tips at all costs! Any audio technica iem I have heard is terrible with them.
Buy Sony hybrids. They are perfect for me.

What's the hybrid part of the Sonys? I'd prefer a foam tip because the Silicon that came with the IM02 will not seal, M or L. If I get a seal, it only lasts for a few minutes. This is with clean canals too.
If the Sonys have a foam-ish element, I'll go there. Otherwise, I'm still very curious about the Complys.

Oct 24, 2015 at 5:28 AM Post #2,418 of 3,060
What's the hybrid part of the Sonys? I'd prefer a foam tip because the Silicon that came with the IM02 will not seal, M or L. If I get a seal, it only lasts for a few minutes. This is with clean canals too.
If the Sonys have a foam-ish element, I'll go there. Otherwise, I'm still very curious about the Complys.

I mean standart Sony hybrids. But there is also foam version. Sony tips are better than Audio Technica ones. Also JVC spiral dots are very good. Search this thread for more info.

Oct 26, 2015 at 6:20 PM Post #2,419 of 3,060

I honestly have tried the comply pros and the comfort tips.   The Comfort tips are a lot easier on my ear but the seal is really poor and I feel like a lot of noise bleeds and I generally only keep them around if my GF wants to use them because she doesn't know any better.   The Isolation plus are mostly what I use now and I have very little problem with them, but from some of the reviews on this thread I've been thinking about trying some new ones out just to compare as they are pretty cheap.

Oct 26, 2015 at 8:31 PM Post #2,421 of 3,060
  Where do you buy them? I can't find anything but shady Amazon stores.

Ebay.  I found some on eBay.  There are reliable stores on there which sell them :)

Also Amazon Japan, but I'm not sure if they'll ship to your location or not.

If you need me to and can't seem to find them yourself on eBay, I can try to dig up the link I used to buy mine a while back. . .

Oct 30, 2015 at 2:48 PM Post #2,422 of 3,060
In terms of balance, does the Piston 2.0 have more bass or the ATH-IM50?  I found that the bass was too strong on the Piston (and Zero Audio Basso), messing up the balance.  The OP says that IM50 has the maximum tolerable bass; I'm just wondering if earfonia tolerates more bass than I do!

Oct 30, 2015 at 5:44 PM Post #2,423 of 3,060
In terms of balance, does the Piston 2.0 have more bass or the ATH-IM50?  I found that the bass was too strong on the Piston (and Zero Audio Basso), messing up the balance.  The OP says that IM50 has the maximum tolerable bass; I'm just wondering if earfonia tolerates more bass than I do!

No, they aren't as bassy as Pistons 2.0

Oct 30, 2015 at 6:45 PM Post #2,424 of 3,060
So I was messing around with my FiiO X5 after updating its firmware, and I wanted to listen to it, since I haven't done that much since I bought the AK120ii. I wan't in the mood to bother switching the cable on Angie back to single-ended, so I grabbed the ATH-IM03 instead.

Can't seem to take them out. Nearly through OK Computer by Radiohead, and don't plan to stop there. :D

Oct 30, 2015 at 9:39 PM Post #2,425 of 3,060
So I was messing around with my FiiO X5 after updating its firmware, and I wanted to listen to it, since I haven't done that much since I bought the AK120ii. I wan't in the mood to bother switching the cable on Angie back to single-ended, so I grabbed the ATH-IM03 instead.

Can't seem to take them out. Nearly through OK Computer by Radiohead, and don't plan to stop there.
biggrin.gif

That's a damn good album!

So you feel the IM03 have very good synergy with the X5, then?  Is this the old X5, or the 2nd Gen version?

Oct 30, 2015 at 10:52 PM Post #2,426 of 3,060
That's a damn good album!

So you feel the IM03 have very good synergy with the X5, then?  Is this the old X5, or the 2nd Gen version?

The X5 Classic. Or as you call it, the old X5. :D

Yes, they have wonderful synergy, the X5 and IM03. I've felt that for some time now. You know how it is, though. You move on, you upgrade, you buy madly expensive gear and forget just how good your old stuff is.

And then one evening you remind yourself. You sit down and just listen, no pretension, no comparisons, just the simple love of good audio.

Oct 31, 2015 at 3:24 PM Post #2,427 of 3,060
Does anyone here own both the IM 02 and the DUNU titan? I'm having a hard time deciding between the two. I mainly listen to classical music, but is also into jazz and world music. Recently, I have taken a liking to Creedence Clearwater Revival as well. I like something that is neutral, but with a bit of bass. So I was really looking to try the Titan. The only deal breaker is poor isolation and no over-the-ear design. The IM-02 seems to be my kind of sound as well, and like the form factor. Which one do you think would be better?

Oct 31, 2015 at 4:36 PM Post #2,428 of 3,060
Does anyone here own both the IM 02 and the DUNU titan? I'm having a hard time deciding between the two. I mainly listen to classical music, but is also into jazz and world music. Recently, I have taken a liking to Creedence Clearwater Revival as well. I like something that is neutral, but with a bit of bass. So I was really looking to try the Titan. The only deal breaker is poor isolation and no over-the-ear design. The IM-02 seems to be my kind of sound as well, and like the form factor. Which one do you think would be better?

Though I have listened to neither of these, allow me, if you will, to offer some advice.

Both review well, seemingly on the same performance level. They are about the same price. Will one sound better to your ears than the other? Certainly. In this case, not by much. So I say buy the earphone that meets the most of your desires.

Of course, the absolute best thing to do is audition them and see which wins. If, like me, there are no local hi-fi shops, you could order both from Amazon and simply return the one you like least.

Nov 2, 2015 at 2:07 PM Post #2,429 of 3,060
What is the bass quantity and punch of IM50 compared to KC06, Gratitude, Tenore, Singolo, Fidelio S2, VSD1, VSD3 or KEF M200?  Trying to get a sense of how bassy they are.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back