Review of Audio Technica ATH-IM01, ATH-IM02, ATH-IM03, ATH-IM04, ATH-IM50, & ATH-IM70
Oct 9, 2015 at 12:22 PM Post #2,356 of 3,060

What app are you using? The default apps fro music by Samsung are crap for music. Try Poweramp, the best music amp on Andriod, your music will come alive, you can boost the volume, you will never go back to Samsung app again.

+1 for Poweramp. A truly great Android player.

Oct 9, 2015 at 4:56 PM Post #2,357 of 3,060
USB Audio Player gives the best sound quality, I've used Poweramp too and it doesn't touch UAP in terms of sound quality. Not to mention with UAP you can use an amp with USB OTG.

Currently using a Dragonfly 1.2 with it and its an amazing portable setup.

Oct 9, 2015 at 5:35 PM Post #2,358 of 3,060

+1 for Poweramp. A truly great Android player.

Agreed, I loved Player Pro for the longest time, my issue being with Player Pro was the audio quality wasn't accurate.
So showed some testing done too.
Another issue was that I use a lot of ALAC, & FLAC, and PowerAmp reads the files better, and allows you to tag, while Player Pro rejects doing so.

All in all, I recommend PowerAmp really heavily, so have it!

Oct 10, 2015 at 6:21 PM Post #2,359 of 3,060
After listening for hours and trying them all I went with ATH-IM70. The intended use is iPad and iPhone, the ATH-IM01, ATH-IM02, ATH-IM03, and ATH-IM04 sounded too flat for my source. The ATH-IM50 had too much bass and sounded a bit too boomy. The ATH-IM70 is a good alrrounder, no matter what I throw at it, it sounds just right. The sound signature is very similar to Shure SE250.

Oct 10, 2015 at 6:59 PM Post #2,360 of 3,060
Glad you found one that pleases you.

I have to say, I never thought anyone could call the IM03 and 04 flat. :)

Oct 10, 2015 at 7:17 PM Post #2,361 of 3,060
Glad you found one that pleases you.

I have to say, I never thought anyone could call the IM03 and 04 flat. :)

Maybe it was my source, I was using the iPad Air 2 as my source with my own music collection, I went in the store with the intention of buying the ATH-IM03 and some high expectations but I was greatly let down by the sound. I thought the problem might be the actual seal but i tried two different type of tips. The dynamics were totally missing from my music. My own conclusion is that you need a more powerful amp for ATH-IM03 and ATH-IM04 and geared more towards classical type of music.

Anybody else using one of these and ATH-IM50 or ATH-IM70 with an iPhone or IPad device? I would love to hear your feedback.

Oct 10, 2015 at 7:39 PM Post #2,362 of 3,060
Maybe it was my source, I was using the iPad Air 2 as my source with my own music collection, I went in the store with the intention of buying the ATH-IM03 and some high expectations but I was greatly let down by the sound. I thought the problem might be the actual seal but i tried two different type of tips. The dynamics were totally missing from my music. My own conclusion is that you need a more powerful amp for ATH-IM03 and ATH-IM04 and geared more towards classical type of music.

Anybody else using one of these and ATH-IM50 or ATH-IM70 with an iPhone or IPad device? I would love to hear your feedback.

im70 runs great off my ipod touch 4th gen and my s3s. no issues 

Oct 10, 2015 at 8:17 PM Post #2,363 of 3,060
This is un-related, and I know I am more of a flat, and natural kind of folks. This makes it so clear that personal taste and preferences are priority overall.

I thought 04 was a little bassy.....and my friend was like....bro...you don't even "bass?" :D And mean while....he can drive his car 3-4 blocks away and I can hear his "bass". Honestly I tried to sit in his car at his volume level...and I almost wanted to puke....dizzy....seriously ! Don't know how he love it so much though

Oct 13, 2015 at 1:40 PM Post #2,365 of 3,060
I have the IM-04 and I have to say it does sound flat on my S6 until i have the volume turned up to 80-90% + then it sounds beautiful, that said using an amp translates that further down the volume dial.     So I can definitely see some one hooking up an IM-04 to a phone putting the volume to 60% and saying, "This sounds really dull".

On a side note to Whitigir my 04's are surprisingly bassy for BA drivers.  My Ety's wish they could boom like my IM-04's, but they certainly aren't comparably to something "Truly for bass heads" that make your soul vibrate with every hit. 

Oct 13, 2015 at 2:05 PM Post #2,366 of 3,060
I have the IM-04 and I have to say it does sound flat on my S6 until i have the volume turned up to 80-90% + then it sounds beautiful, that said using an amp translates that further down the volume dial.     So I can definitely see some one hooking up an IM-04 to a phone putting the volume to 60% and saying, "This sounds really dull".

On a side note to Whitigir my 04's are surprisingly bassy for BA drivers.  My Ety's wish they could boom like my IM-04's, but they certainly aren't comparably to something "Truly for bass heads" that make your soul vibrate with every hit. 

Totally agreed....seems we have appreciated similar taste

Oct 13, 2015 at 3:17 PM Post #2,367 of 3,060

Hmm... I only listened to the IM03 and 04 through full-fledged DAPs, X3ii, X5, AK120ii, so I guess they might sound weak off a phone, I wouldn't know.

Just another reason to get off the smartphone: you can't properly drive awesome headphones. :cool:

Oct 13, 2015 at 6:43 PM Post #2,368 of 3,060
Hmm... I only listened to the IM03 and 04 through full-fledged DAPs, X3ii, X5, AK120ii, so I guess they might sound weak off a phone, I wouldn't know.

Just another reason to get off the smartphone: you can't properly drive awesome headphones.
cool.gif

Yeah I mean they sound great on my phone at full volume, but that might be a little loud for some people.  Just if you want awesome sound at lowered volume on 14Ohm Quad BA's your phone will never handled that robustly (that said a portable amp has solved all my problems.)

Oct 14, 2015 at 5:09 PM Post #2,369 of 3,060
Yeah I mean they sound great on my phone at full volume, but that might be a little loud for some people.  Just if you want awesome sound at lowered volume on 14Ohm Quad BA's your phone will never handled that robustly (that said a portable amp has solved all my problems.)

The problem I had with the IM03 and IM04 was not the volume but th lack of any details in the music, it was like having IM07 in your ears naked without any silicon tips on them.

Oct 14, 2015 at 5:18 PM Post #2,370 of 3,060
The problem I had with the IM03 and IM04 was not the volume but th lack of any details in the music, it was like having IM07 in your ears naked without any silicon tips on them.

Yes the details peal back on the IM04 when they aren't getting enough power, which is why they sounds noticeably more detailed at higher volume on under powered rigs like a cell phone.   Hooked up to an amp with enough power and a low output Z (<0.5) they sound like nothing I've ever owned before (much better than my Dunu-2000's and Ety's).  At 70% volume on my S6 with out a dac/amp they sound like complete trash to me easily on par with some beats or equivalent because their is barely enough juice to drive 4 BA's and they sound like they give up halfway through a sound. The IM70/50's sound much much better at that volume w/ that low voltage, but they are supposed too. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back