Review of Audio Technica ATH-CKR9 & ATH-CKR10
Apr 29, 2016 at 8:10 PM Post #1,111 of 1,193
I was trying to tame mids on ckr10.  I tried the spinfits but bass is terrible, I also tried spiral dots.  I have a souped up lgv10.  Anyone know how i can tame vocals?  

Sounds really nice but hurts my ears and gives me a headache because of the amplification.

Also, I have a lot of impulse response files on viper4android.  But i still have to tame the mids to a point where i cant make them sound the way i want.

Any ideas?

May 12, 2016 at 6:13 AM Post #1,112 of 1,193
If compared with E-40, which is more similar, CKR9 or 10? Still waiting for demo pair to arrive at local Jaben so i can decide whether it's a suitable IEM to add in...
Also have to ask, does CKR 9/10 bass has more Sub bass or mid bass emphasis?

May 12, 2016 at 11:02 PM Post #1,113 of 1,193
I just got these and I have to say I expected a much flatter sounding frequency response.  These sound very dynamic and have very good bass that doesn't sound muddy like some dynamic driver IEM's.  However the midrange and treble is one-toned and ringy and their frequency response sounds like it's up and down and all over the place.  

I am using an iPhone 5s which sounds amazing with other headphones I have such as the ATH-M50x as well as Shure SE315 in-ears.  I have also tried them on my AudioQuest DragonFly via VLC and they still sound horrible.  I understand they need time for break-in but if this is in fact the problem, they have an awfully long way to go before I am happy.  

Once again I will say they do sound very dynamic and don't produce audible distortion despite their low impedance....they sound like a great headphone plugged into a device where it's high range eq sliders are all randomly over the place.

Very sad about this as I do like Audio Technica

May 13, 2016 at 4:27 AM Post #1,115 of 1,193
I just got these and I have to say I expected a much flatter sounding frequency response.  These sound very dynamic and have very good bass that doesn't sound muddy like some dynamic driver IEM's.  However the midrange and treble is one-toned and ringy and their frequency response sounds like it's up and down and all over the place.  

I am using an iPhone 5s which sounds amazing with other headphones I have such as the ATH-M50x as well as Shure SE315 in-ears.  I have also tried them on my AudioQuest DragonFly via VLC and they still sound horrible.  I understand they need time for break-in but if this is in fact the problem, they have an awfully long way to go before I am happy.  

Once again I will say they do sound very dynamic and don't produce audible distortion despite their low impedance....they sound like a great headphone plugged into a device where it's high range eq sliders are all randomly over the place.

Burn In time for you then... Post some comments after you've gone through that, regardless of satisfaction or disappointment

May 13, 2016 at 4:45 PM Post #1,116 of 1,193

My CKR10 sound great even with a macbook pro, even better with an old nwz-z1060... So it might be a question of the source, and fit in your ear?

May 17, 2016 at 10:45 AM Post #1,117 of 1,193

I would say burn in and tips.  Are you using the stock tips?  If so try the large ones not the ones that come installed.  Most people switch to spinfits or spiral dots.  I use memory foam because my left ear is too big.

Also did you purchase them from a reputable source?  

May 30, 2016 at 2:15 PM Post #1,123 of 1,193
  Worth the new price for CKR90 alone if they updated the cable.

I really hope it's an improvement.  

However, I've purchased almost all of the Audio-Technica iem headphones including the new cks series and e40.  I haven't noticed any upgrade yet to really justify the price edit: price of purchasing a new set when I already have a set.  

I could be wrong for the CKR10 and 90 and I hope that i am.  However, I'm a little tapped or tired of spending cash.

Also just bought the new e70.  Sounds good but can't get a good enough fit.  
etysmile.gif

I will try the im04 next.  However I'm starting to believe the ckr is the best and I won't get any better.

May 30, 2016 at 10:17 PM Post #1,124 of 1,193
  I looked at the specs they don't look that different besides design.  I don't think its an upgrade prob more of an update.

I was hoping they would add like two balanced armatures push/pull for the treble o ckr10.  I'm thinking about doing this myself so i dont have to wait.

Specs don't really define an upgrade from what I see. Not saying that they always don't, but I always have to hear them in person to actually determine for myself whether or not I could consider them an upgrade. 

Even if it is just an update, I'm glad because they look like they will be detachable cables.

I'm a very simple minded and cheap person so I probably won't even consider them as an upgrade haha.  Kind of like how I went from the CKR10 to the JH Audio Rosie; I still see the Rosie as "A side-step into a direction that I really like more than the CKR10's."

May 31, 2016 at 12:08 AM Post #1,125 of 1,193
  Specs don't really define an upgrade from what I see. Not saying that they always don't, but I always have to hear them in person to actually determine for myself whether or not I could consider them an upgrade. 

Even if it is just an update, I'm glad because they look like they will be detachable cables.

I'm a very simple minded and cheap person so I probably won't even consider them as an upgrade haha.  Kind of like how I went from the CKR10 to the JH Audio Rosie; I still see the Rosie as "A side-step into a direction that I really like more than the CKR10's."

Yes I agree; that's why I hope I'm wrong.  I'm already thinking about purchasing them.  Funny I was just looking them up before checking my email and responding to this post.  

I just bought the Angie 2.  I like the ckr10's better.  My souped up lgv10 has too much power for most headphones.  

Also, I know that specs don't always mean alot but Audio Technica usually performs as good if not better.  I noticed the maximum input power for the ath-im04 is 3mW, 

The ckr10s really start to shine where other headphones start to distort.  They actually sound bright and not warm with the right amplification and tuning.  This is without sacrificing the bass.  They just sound perfect.

After purchasing the really expensive Angies, I'm even more impressed with the ckr10.

I believe most people really haven't heard the full potential of the ckr10 without the right amplification and tuning.

My lord, I wish other people can hear the setup I have.  The combination of the lgv10 with the ckr10 is the best thing since sliced bread after an orgasm.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back