Review of Audio Technica ATH-CKR9 & ATH-CKR10
Jul 25, 2016 at 12:13 PM Post #1,141 of 1,193
I am looking for a pair of CKR9 . The prices are quite attractive on EBAY (around 100$) but I am quite afraid to get a fake one ... Any seller to recommand ?

Jul 28, 2016 at 4:37 AM Post #1,142 of 1,193
I just got CKR9 with the JVC Spiral Dots (EP-FX9M-B), and to me it's obvious, that JVC dots make certain tracks unlistenable because of the tearing treble. And I do like bright sound in other headphones, but it's just too harsh. Yeah, it sounds slightly better than stock when it's not going too harsh in other songs. And I believe these are burned in already, so no help from that matter. Same results with my desktop rig (bright sound) and DAP (darker sound). Anybody else experiencing this?

Jul 30, 2016 at 8:33 AM Post #1,144 of 1,193
I can't EQ, but JVC dots do sound noticeably better, and about 80% of time they "work", so I still recommend them, especially if you can EQ. Stock is never too bright for me. JVC dots have much more treble, slightly larger soundstage, and clearer sound overall, and just as much bass.

Overall im pretty happy with these IEMs. They are my first proper IEMs (only had Sennheiser CX-300 II before). They sound good inside and outside, while cycling. Bass is superb, they have noticeably more bass than burned in Ultrasone Pro 900 (btw, Ultrasone's are perfectly neutral after proper burn in). And more thump. Ultrasone's bass is of course bit better in quality, and probably goes lower too, if you can hear it. Mids are fine. Treble and soundstage were a small disappointment to me. Toneking Tomahawk earbuds have probably better both, at about 1/4 of the price. But the sound just works.

Sep 14, 2016 at 12:38 PM Post #1,146 of 1,193
Has anyone found a full size can with bass remotely as responsive as that of the CKR9? I'm starting to wonder if these have given me unrealistic standards when it comes to quality (not quantity) of bass.

I recently got a pair of Senn HD 600's as my first Mid-Fi set and while nice, they are so damn slow compared to the CKR9's which are fast throughout but particularly in the bass.

CK9/10 sounds like a small guy who has been lifting religiously and now has a world of coiled power ready to spring out at you before you even see it coming.

HD600 sounds like a big dude who has just let himself go, sure he's a handful and even graceful but there's no snap or weight in his punches.

Sep 15, 2016 at 5:22 PM Post #1,147 of 1,193
Has anyone found a full size can with bass remotely as responsive as that of the CKR9? I'm starting to wonder if these have given me unrealistic standards when it comes to quality (not quantity) of bass.

I recently got a pair of Senn HD 600's as my first Mid-Fi set and while nice, they are so damn slow compared to the CKR9's which are fast throughout but particularly in the bass.

CK9/10 sounds like a small guy who has been lifting religiously and now has a world of coiled power ready to spring out at you before you even see it coming.

HD600 sounds like a big dude who has just let himself go, sure he's a handful and even graceful but there's no snap or weight in his punches.

I wholeheartedly recommend the MSR7 for CKR9 lovers. It's a closed can, and it's very much in the same vein. 

Oct 26, 2016 at 12:43 AM Post #1,150 of 1,193

I currently own the CK9LTD and have comfort problems with them, since these are effectively the same design it would be folly of me to engage.

Ahh. The CKR 9Ltd. Hahaha, I have that too and I understand what you mean.

CKR 9Ltd might be only model in the CKR series in which the stock eartips actually sound better than the JVC Spiral tips because of the slanted input instead of straight.
It seems the stock tips were pretty much meant for CKR 9Ltd and not really for the CKR 9 and 10, which makes sense because the Ltd is their limited model so they tried to fix their mistakes.
In fact, I would argue the stock tips on CKR 9Ltd sound far better than the JVC Spiral on the CKR 9 and 10 even though the stock tips were probably just some left over tips from another AT earphone series.

That said, for me, while the left ear fits in perfectly, the right side... is a bit weird.
I have no idea why the sides slant to the other side of your ear on both sides. It is rather annoying with single flanges sometimes (unless I get that 'good' fit).

The solution I found was:
Get a double or triple flange eartip.

The sound is worlds apart from the Spiral dots, Comply, SpinFit, stock tip (by the way, I found the stock tips to be best of all those single flange tips on the Ltd model simply due to its differing shape). For specifically the CKR 9 Ltd, I highly recomend double flange eartips (or triple if available).
The main reason I feel the JVC Spiral sounds 'better' is because of its size. That's really it. The dots are wayyyyyyy  too small to do any real justice on the sound difference.
In fact, what I have come to learn after maturing as a listener recently is the larger and longer the stock tips, the more it sounds better in usual (as it goes deeper inside your ear).

Try purchasing some medium size double/triple flange. For me, I am using the Yamaha EPH-100 double flange (small though I use medium small for the EPH 100 which is weird because my ears are at least medium on every other brand tips).
Seems like even after all this brainwashing of "spiral dots" or "spin fits", the EPH-100 double flange tips to me has no competitor in sound and comfort.

Of course I don't know your situation but for me, the double flange eartip solved the issue for CKR 9Ltd. The sound with my Yamaha EPH-100 eartips and the stock/spiral/etc tips are night and day.
I honestly don't understand why more people don't reserve to double or triple flange eartips. Once it gets "drilled" to your ears, it seems far better at sending the sound directly to your ears.

If you actually look at the model differences between different stock tips (I completely failed with the Shure Olives eartip and no idea where it is right now):
Here in the image are the various (and far more) eartips that were mentioned in this thread. JVC Spiral dots, what not!

As you can see, the EPH-100 dual-flange eartip is abnormally long. And the inside is COMPLETELY hollow. It is pretty much a straight double flange barrel (with the length of triple flange). In other words, you get literally the 'full' sound of the earphone most directly to your ears resulting in the best sound I could reproduce with the CKR9 Ltd. Also, the sound stage becomes (quite frankly) a 100 times larger as it is no longer all squished on such a small output hole but rather directly straight to your ear from a barrel like tunnel :p
If you can find these kinds of double flange barrel shaped eartips, I highly recommend with the CKR 9Ltd. The slight tilt on the top of the earphone makes double flanges such as these SUPER comfortable. Just a word of note though: i had to use a size 1 smaller than I usually use for the double flange. It might vary from person to person but do take note of that. (at least with the EPH 100 eartips)

That said, I know those eartips have been never mentioned as Yamaha has never sold replacements of the eartips meaning most headfi listeners won't have that type of eartips. In fact, I can't think of any other company other than Yamaha that has a long barrel shaped double flange that is super comfortable and well made (the rubber seems to also feel the best out of all the earphones people listed). It really puts the JVC Spiral dots and Spin fits to shame at least to me with the CKR 9Ltd.

So to those having trouble with fit issues with the CKR9 Ltd, try grabbing a double flange eartip! Unfortunately for triple flange, I realized even on Amazon I cannot find the size necessary to fit my earphone. Comply says the size is 400 and I have yet to find a triple flange that fits that '400' size :/. I was rather disappointed the MEE triple flange were 200 though I think one of its double flange models are 400.

Oct 31, 2016 at 1:28 AM Post #1,152 of 1,193
The CKR 9Ltd was a limited edition at its time.
It was originally meant for Japan only (and later some other parts of East Asia) so I highly doubt there are stores that sell the CKR 9Ltd.

There weren't that many in reproduction as it is an "ltd" (limited edition) so 
This is a great thread. I am on the hunt for some genuine CKR9LTDs but I can't seem to find a clear seller. Any more suggestions from anyone? Any eBay ones you trust? Thanks

I wouldn't take the risk with eBay.

Just consider the CKR 9Ltd gone and no longer possible to purchase from stores or sites. Being a limited edition, most likely, you will probably be getting the fakes than the genuine.
I recommend going for the CKR 9 instead or the CKR 10 if you enjoy a closer sound to the CKR 9Ltd.

It is rather unfortunate that the most beautiful (aesthetically and sonically in my opinion) is no longer able to be purchased.
Having stated that, I don't trust both Amazon and eBay (and certainly not any other sites like alibibi/aliexpress which is infamous for fakes) for the CKR 9Ltd. There is no way of differentiating between the genuine and fake and the chance of being a fake is far greater than being a genuine.
I am usually fine with 3rd party sellers but considering Audio Technica products tend to have LOTS of counterfeits and the limited edition seems to be a good trigger for more fakes to enter the market, I say just grab the CKR9 or CKR10.
I also heard the new CKR series (90 and 100) sound more similar to the Ltd/10 lines than the 9. I have no idea if that's true but it seems at someone in Headfi claimed or implied so. However, the price of those products are enormous for a rather mixed review right now. It seems there are sides saying the old CKR series are better sonically and the other sides saying the opposite. I guess the general consensus is that the new series is a sidegrade but with the added capability of being able to change wires.
So if you want to have the sound of CKR9 Ltd, just either go for the CKR10 or go for the new series which is pretty much the old CKR series + better looks (smaller design) + attachable cable + a couple hundred more dollars since you can re-attach the cables.

But ya, I think you should just opt for the regular series.
Just consider the Ltd models gone. Most genuine stores don't even have them in online sites. Says much of the quantity of 9 Ltd. When even a store like treoo from Singapore no longer sells it, I think you should take the hint that 'if genuine stores don't have a single pair now, the chance of random sites having them is quite low'.
There are way too many counterfeits. Don't bother wasting money on them. That's like in (my mind) substituting real gold for fake gold. Sure both are shiny but at end of day, something is probably different from the original.

(Edit: That said, I'm definitely going to try the new CKR series once it becomes available. If they can get the original CKR series better, then I want to hear it.)

Nov 3, 2016 at 12:53 PM Post #1,153 of 1,193
Thanks for the feedback and great points of view AccCreate. I gave the eBay sellers a few questions but after I questioned too much on the CKR9LTDs being genuine or not, the communication ended or they told me that they did not even have the Serial number (what?)...in any case I held back and I'll keep looking for a good IEM that works for my tastes.

I'll be looking for the new CKR line from AT. In the meantime I'll continue using my temp solution -Panasonic RP-HJE120 since I killed my Klipsh S4s.

Thanks again.

Nov 29, 2016 at 12:16 AM Post #1,154 of 1,193
Hi, I just got those from Prime USA (fullfiment by Amazon). 
The CKR9 Japan Import.

I owned 2 pairs of CKS1000, and I loved them. I tried the CKS1100, completely horrible, worst fit ever!

Ok, so far the CKR9 has a nice fit, however I am afraid I got fake ones.

Is it normal to have a really noticeable static sound coming from the earphones (plugged on the smartphone, only happens when some sound plays).
If plugged on computer, static is louder.

I just checked and the CKS1000 also has a static sound, but much less than CKR9... maybe CKR9 sensitivity is the reason for this. But its too much for even a Nexus 5X :p

Jun 23, 2017 at 6:14 PM Post #1,155 of 1,193
Has anyone tried opening them up to get at the drivers?

I was thinking of getting a pair again and have a detachable system on them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back