Review of Audio Technica ATH-CKR9 & ATH-CKR10
Jan 28, 2015 at 9:03 PM Post #646 of 1,193
  Hi Syed, a couple of months on the sideline here is an eternity :wink:

I sure got the 10's and I'm enjoying them a lot. As I metioned earlier they're the best "bassy" IEM's I've ever come across and I find them and the B3 Pro1's to be the perfect pair to cover all bases of music that I listen to 
beerchug.gif

Yup I so agree with that, thats why months back when I reviewed the b3s against my ckrs, although ckrs may be technically superior in terms of clarity, details and realism of bass. I didn't say the ckrs were a league above the b3s. Infact I do go back to b3s for classical, instrumentals for that ss.  So It really does cover quite the genres of music. I bet your enjoying the vocals on ckr10s a lot. Its really the selling point for them, so close to you so intimate so romantic lol

Jan 29, 2015 at 8:13 AM Post #647 of 1,193
  Yup I so agree with that, thats why months back when I reviewed the b3s against my ckrs, although ckrs may be technically superior in terms of clarity, details and realism of bass. I didn't say the ckrs were a league above the b3s. Infact I do go back to b3s for classical, instrumentals for that ss.  So It really does cover quite the genres of music. I bet your enjoying the vocals on ckr10s a lot. Its really the selling point for them, so close to you so intimate so romantic lol

Spot on my friend 
beerchug.gif

Jan 29, 2015 at 8:49 AM Post #648 of 1,193
I've found the CKR9 to be a very synergistic match with the HM-601LE.

Could almost be made for each other.....

Jan 29, 2015 at 11:58 PM Post #649 of 1,193
The time has come . . .     

http://www.head-fi.org/t/752940/audio-technica-ath-ckr9-spinfit-tips

Jan 30, 2015 at 1:17 AM Post #650 of 1,193
Lol T.R.A.N.C.E. I am following you everywhere!

Interested about the CKR9LTD now seeing as I can get them for about $200.

Can you compare them to the HiFiMAN RE-600, comfort wise and soundwise?

Jan 30, 2015 at 10:36 AM Post #652 of 1,193

I own the CKR9 and have demo`d the LTD and Duoza several times each.  The Duoza is nice, but not anywhere near the same league as the CKR9.  In Japan, the Duoza is 1/3 the price of the CKR9 and I find that a realistic price difference, re: SQ.  The used shops here already have rows of like-new Duozas for 50$.  

In addition, I would say the difference between CKR9 vs LTD is much much smaller than CKR9 vs Duoza.  

IMO/IME

d

Would you say that the CKR9 LTD is well rounded enough to handle bass heavy music like EDM and Pop music along with soft acoustic music? Would you care to write about what really jumped out at you while comparing the 9LTD and DuoZA?

Feb 1, 2015 at 11:39 PM Post #653 of 1,193
Received my CKR9 LTD this morning and am currently burning them in with miscellaneous tracks. Nice packaging from Audio Technica, like Sony use nice cardboard wrapping with impressive graphics although nothing expensive. Just the way I like it, I prefer money be spent on the goods at hand not the wrapper. Someone described the colour as pink, this is not true. The best I can do is say get a strong red colour and apply some orange(tiny bit) to it then sand blast the result and you get the finish on these phones. Nice cable also. Will have a listen later tonight hopefully.
L3000.gif

Feb 2, 2015 at 6:25 AM Post #654 of 1,193
Congratulations Cecala

I hope they live up to your expectations.

Any chance of a photo with them plugged into your ears ?

I'm concerned if they are going to stick out hideously like the Sony ex1000 and catch wind when walking/jogging outside.

Feb 2, 2015 at 7:17 AM Post #656 of 1,193
So do you now have the LTD editions ?
Looking forward to new impressions.

Yes I have the LTD now, and the DUNU DN2000, for a sealed IEM battle.   The FX850 I am keeping, I think, because I just love the sound of it so much.  I also was really enjoying  the CKR9 but I found a great deal on a new LTD in a shop last week and pulled the trigger.  Luckily I`m not working at the moment so I have ample time to listen to these two amazing iems : the LTD and the DN2000.....   

Meanwhile, I found a killer deal on the Dita Answer Truth tonight, although after  my experiences with the SE846 my enthusiasm for TOTL iems is low . . .     

BTW, if anyone wants Spinfit tips, pm me.  

Feb 2, 2015 at 12:01 PM Post #658 of 1,193
got 9LTD today.
the first impressions were really bad, boomy bass and heavly recesed highs. tip roling didn't help.
but after 10hrs of burn in, highs opened up and bass became tighter. everything sounds really balanced out now.

now i gotta do something about this horrible microphonic...

Feb 2, 2015 at 7:51 PM Post #659 of 1,193

Would you say that the CKR9 LTD is well rounded enough to handle bass heavy music like EDM and Pop music along with soft acoustic music? Would you care to write about what really jumped out at you while comparing the 9LTD and DuoZA?

The CKR9 and 9LTD are excellent with EDM, IDM, Techno, D&B, House, Dub, Triphop, you name it.  The bass is real quality - but needs a good seal.  I don`t really listen to pop music all that much; I have Adele`s `unmastered` album, and some James Morrison stuff.  Maybe a touch of harshness from the CKR9 with over-loud music or mp3? These iems can do pretty much anything, I think, especially the LTD.  

The most obvious differences between the CKR9(LTD) and Duoza for me are 
1. The CKRs have much much more detail.  Like an order of magnitude more, like a reference-level, which means `for better or worse` depending on how good your files and player are. 
2. The Duoza, not surprisingly with so much less detail, is extremely smooth and easy to listen to, very very nice sounding, relaxing, might be good with lossy overloud music out a phone.
3. The CKRs have much wider and more complex soundstage.  

Feb 2, 2015 at 8:49 PM Post #660 of 1,193
got 9LTD today.
the first impressions were really bad, boomy bass and heavly recesed highs. tip roling didn't help.
but after 10hrs of burn in, highs opened up and bass became tighter. everything sounds really balanced out now.

now i gotta do something about this horrible microphonic...

My CKR9s were the only `phone I  heard a clear burn-in change.  I`m willing to admit it is placebo effect, but like you I thought they sounded really lifeless at first.  I recently discovered that cables really do impact sound, so maybe burn-in is real.  I have the LTD now too; considering reterminating it to AK 2.5 . . . 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back