Review of Audio Technica ATH-CKR9 & ATH-CKR10
Dec 2, 2014 at 12:34 AM Post #376 of 1,193
I`ve demo`d all 3 I can assure you the ltd has a different sound sig to the other two, which sound different from each other.  From my AK120ii, the difference is quite noticeable, not subtle, because I could detect it clearly both times I tried these - both were in noisy environments.  Could be the housing, could be that extra 5k on top, could be some other tuning they`ve done or all of the above.  Can`t provide any other adjectives, but I will say that the ltd sounds closer to the 9 than the 10.  In an ideal listening environment the 10 might shine; but right now for me the LTD is clearly superior.  It`s LTD > CKR9 > CKR10 

The negatives to the LTD are just hideous red+pink color theme, like a bleeding barbie doll. . . .    
And no removeable cables . . . 

I really like the look myself! :p I was hoping to get the Ltd and the MSR7LTD as well so they would match. The CKR9 sounds like the perfect signature for me, but I'm curious about the LTD as well. Is there anything else you can tell me about the difference in sound signature between the two? It would be much appreciated.

Dec 2, 2014 at 9:38 AM Post #378 of 1,193
Thanks Jambul.  I bought the 9 today; just got home with it.  I was back and forth between the 9 and 9LTD; the LTD has that lovely aluminum body and some kind of different sound....better maybe...hard to nail it down.  Then I saw the price the 9 was going for and the decision was made for me - too cheap to pass up.  

The cable now that I look at it must be 4-wire, so I am giong to have these reterminated for AK balanced . .  

d

Dec 2, 2014 at 9:41 AM Post #379 of 1,193
Hmm, guess all i need is a clip now lol. As my country is hot all year round.. Just wondering, do you find the pouch that they provided did a good job protecting the IEM? I find it too flimsy IMO. If you use other kind of pouch/case mind showing me? :xf_eek:

I use the pouch given. It's fine. It's sturdy enough unless you drop it and then step on it.
if you feel that it's flimsy, then maybe look for a plastic or metal box on ebay.

Dec 2, 2014 at 10:21 AM Post #380 of 1,193
I use the pouch given. It's fine. It's sturdy enough unless you drop it and then step on it.
if you feel that it's flimsy, then maybe look for a plastic or metal box on ebay.

Just order this case http://www.mp4nation.net/brainwavz-earphone-hard-case . As i found some other case too, like the monitor vault and pelican 1010. But didn't go with the monitor vault as some people mention that it's pretty fragile on the plastic part that hold the vault together. 

Dec 2, 2014 at 10:54 AM Post #381 of 1,193
These Audio Technicas are what I use.  They have that center core to wind the cable around, a cup in the center for the earpieces and to provide crush-support.  It`s pretty brilliant . .  

Dec 2, 2014 at 11:15 AM Post #383 of 1,193
No they`re in the shops here.  About usd$8, I think.  Yup : 

http://www.yodobashi.com/audio-technica-オーディオテクニカ-AT-HPP300-WH-ヘッドホンキャリングケース-ホワイト/pd/100000001002383561/

Dec 2, 2014 at 1:58 PM Post #384 of 1,193
  No they`re in the shops here.  About usd$8, I think.  Yup : 

http://www.yodobashi.com/audio-technica-オーディオテクニカ-AT-HPP300-WH-ヘッドホンキャリングケース-ホワイト/pd/100000001002383561/

Aww God, didn't know they are selling it.. 
frown.gif
 Oh well, guess i will stick with the Brainwavz IEM case then since it is already shipped. 
redface.gif

Dec 2, 2014 at 2:04 PM Post #385 of 1,193
I`ve demo`d all 3 I can assure you the ltd has a different sound sig to the other two, which sound different from each other.  From my AK120ii, the difference is quite noticeable, not subtle, because I could detect it clearly both times I tried these - both were in noisy environments.  Could be the housing, could be that extra 5k on top, could be some other tuning they`ve done or all of the above.  Can`t provide any other adjectives, but I will say that the ltd sounds closer to the 9 than the 10.  In an ideal listening environment the 10 might shine; but right now for me the LTD is clearly superior.  It`s LTD > CKR9 > CKR10 

The negatives to the LTD are just hideous red+pink color theme, like a bleeding barbie doll. . . .    
And no removeable cables . . . 

Meh. Beauty is subjective. I quite like that color way.

Dec 3, 2014 at 3:55 AM Post #386 of 1,193

Well that's good to know. I'd hope people wouldn't spend so much more just for a pretty paint job.

I look forward to your impressions! I'm looking at purchasing the CKR9LTD, but I assumed the sound was the same as the CKR9. Hopefully the changes will be something I like because I love the color...

Tried both CKR9 and CKR9LTD at the Audio Technica Event last Saturday, going back and forth between the two.
I would say the difference is minimal. CKR9LTD a tad smoother at the upper mid and treble, but just a tad, not much. Both have pretty similar sound signature, only a tad different, CKR9LTD is a little nicer. Just a little 
wink_face.gif

And it is not only a paint job, but the shape of the CKR9LTD, the red one, is slightly different, as shown in the pictures below.

Dec 3, 2014 at 4:06 AM Post #387 of 1,193
Nice pics, earfonia

I agree with your impressions.  I was just about to buy the LTD yesterday, but then I saw the sale price of the 9 - quite a huge discount.  The difference in sound quality suddenly became irrelevant.  Actually, like I said earlier, it`s more a difference of signature, rather than quality.  They`re both awesome.  

And the 9 is not red and pink.  

d

Dec 3, 2014 at 4:35 AM Post #389 of 1,193
I got it at one of the one-off little shops in some alley in Akihabara, Tokyo.  They had one.  They also had a Shure 1540, seemingly new but without box, accessories or even cables, for 18,000, about 150$.  I almost bought it, I may go back.  It had a warranty...  

I got the CKR9 for 12,000, or around 100$.  But like I said, they only had one . . .   
Akihabara is full of deals like that.  

Dec 3, 2014 at 4:37 AM Post #390 of 1,193
  I got it at one of the one-off little shops in some alley in Akihabara, Tokyo.  They had one.  They also had a Shure 1540, seemingly new but without box, accessories or even cables, for 18,000, about 150$.  I almost bought it, I may go back.  It had a warranty...  

I got the CKR9 for 12,000, or around 100$.  But like I said, they only had one . . .   
Akihabara is full of deals like that.  

Wow, such a great deal they have there. 
rolleyes.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back