Review of Audio Technica ATH-CKR9 & ATH-CKR10
Jun 4, 2014 at 10:01 PM Post #76 of 1,193
About 80 hours.

Awesome, i hope youre enjoying them!

Theyre singing beautifully with aha's take me on. :)

Edit: sorry if the post sounded crude, i thought it was obvious that you had 100 hours of burn-in by your post, but it turned out that i was mistaken. :xf_eek:

Jun 5, 2014 at 12:42 PM Post #77 of 1,193
The CKR9 sounds great but unfortunately I have to send mind back to the AT. There's a constant buzzing in the left earphone that drives me nuts. It doesn't obscure the sound but it's annoying. I wrote AT and they said they would send me a new one after hearing this buzzing for themselves. I just hate that I have to mail this thing back to Japan, but they are being gracious because the warranty doesn't cover items shipped outside of Japan (and this earphone is only available in Japan). So that's nice of them to say they would replace it after I show proof I bought it from Amazon Japan and it was shipped to the States. So it will probably be a couple of weeks (or more) before I write anything definitive on the CKR9, but Ds, vlenbo and earfonia have covered the bases pretty well on these.

Jun 5, 2014 at 7:56 PM Post #78 of 1,193
Was there a warranty card inside the CKR9 box?

Jun 5, 2014 at 9:14 PM Post #80 of 1,193
  Dsnuts, can you do a comparison of the CKR9 and the CKS1000?

And how come you guys buy on Amazon jp and use mail forwarding? I see these are actually cheaper on Amazon US with international marketplace sellers. You get US warranty that way. 

I got my JVC HA-FX850 through Amazon.com - I hadn't thought of that.. You mean I got a warranty?

Jun 5, 2014 at 10:01 PM Post #81 of 1,193
  Dsnuts, can you do a comparison of the CKR9 and the CKS1000?

And how come you guys buy on Amazon jp and use mail forwarding? I see these are actually cheaper on Amazon US with international marketplace sellers. You get US warranty that way. 

CKR9s stage is very comparable. While the sound is not as deep as the CKS1Ks tonality and definition is where the CKR9s is an upgrade. The CKS1Ks has a much warmer tonality to the sound and doesn't sound as open as the CKR9s. Clarity and definition of sound is better on the CKR9s..

If guys own the CKS1Ks you wouldn't be getting a side grade from the CKR9s or the CKR10s. You would definitely be getting an upgrade. As much as I loved my good old CKS1Ks. Both the CKR9s and CKR10s have a nicer, cleaner more balanced sound over the CKS1Ks..

Jun 6, 2014 at 9:07 AM Post #82 of 1,193

No, not at all.
Amazon US - cheapest - $256.20 plus $18.60 shipping  (total $274.80)
Amazon Japan - cheapest - $227.96 plus $19.50 (tenso charges) shipping (247.46). Granted shipping can be cheaper if you are buying a bunch of things and tenso combines it all into one package. 

And you don't get US warranty, they are an import. 

Cheapest is CDJapan, at US$ 234.63, but they do take a while to ship, from what I've heard. 

Jun 6, 2014 at 12:52 PM Post #83 of 1,193
this is the iem thats out so far thats been getting my attention , I am waiting for the local distributor to get it for me . I wonder if it will fit in my tastes nicely though

Jun 6, 2014 at 5:44 PM Post #84 of 1,193
Thanks Dsnuts, that's both good and bad to hear as I've been given the CKS1000 as a gift :frowning2: Decided to keep them after the 300+ hr burn in you recommended, they now sound much better but I can still hear a rough treble at higher volumes. I'm not used to the type of bass they produce either, way too much for me!

Jun 6, 2014 at 5:51 PM Post #85 of 1,193
Thanks Dsnuts, that's both good and bad to hear as I've been given the CKS1000 as a gift
frown.gif
Decided to keep them after the 300+ hr burn in you recommended, they now sound much better but I can still hear a rough treble at higher volumes. I'm not used to the type of bass they produce either, way too much for me!

AT keeps on innovating and the CKS1K was last years phone and they do have merits that make them stand out among dynamics but these new CKR phones are the real deal.. Generally anything newer from AT is an advancement. 

I would try n sell it off. Recoup what you can and try out a CKR9. Will definitely be more to your liking.

Jun 6, 2014 at 6:30 PM Post #87 of 1,193
I bought CKR9 and 10 on my recent trip to Japan.
I also heard fx6/7/850, the 750 and 850 are very good.

After listening to both CKRs back home, I decided to sell the CKR10 and keep the CKR9.

The treble and detail retrieval of both CKRs reminded me of Ocharaku's IEMs (tried nami, sui, kuro, kuro II, aka II and keyaki) but at lower price point.

I think AT sound tuners decided to tune the TOTL of the recent AT IEMs (IM04 and CKR10) to mid/vocal to make them more musical. Then for the lower TOTL (IM03 and CKR9) they tune it to a more neutral presentation.

Anyway, for me and my current setup (ipod touch > go-dap gd03) the CKR9 is a keeper. I also remember CKR10 performs better when amped.

One side story, when I was in e-earphone in Osaka, trying various setups and cans/IEMs, the store decided to lower the price of fx850 to around 28,000 yen (from around 36,000 yen), but when I saw it on the rack, it was already sold out. Maybe next time then.

Jun 6, 2014 at 8:38 PM Post #88 of 1,193
Originally Posted by earfonia /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I have EPH-100, mids EPH-100 sounds nicer to me, but just personal preference, since CKR9 mids sounds a bit forward.
EPH-100 is more colored towards dark smooth signature, while CKR9 is more natural sounding.  Bass, again CKR9 bass quality is way above EPH-100 bass quality.  EPH-100 bass doesn't show micro texture and detail, and effortless dynamic as CKR9 bass.  Overall, I prefer CKR9 over my EPH-100.

Thanks. What about EPH-100 vs CKR10 then? (still bass-wise)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back