Review: NwAvGuy's O2 DIY Amplifier
Jan 19, 2012 at 5:24 PM Post #556 of 1,550

Quote:
Hopefully the O2 with AC adapter design is finished soon, that what I'm waiting on.

The current version works with an AC adaptor: it's just that it can work with batteries as well.

Jan 19, 2012 at 5:34 PM Post #557 of 1,550
The current O2 has an AC adapter and can be use without batteries to my knowledge. I got the bigger case too with the RCA input and full size headphone jack.

Quote:
Hopefully the O2 with AC adapter design is finished soon, that what I'm waiting on.

Jan 19, 2012 at 5:37 PM Post #558 of 1,550

Quote:
Do you think LFF can do something about Coldplay - Mylo Xyloto album or it's just a lost cause 
frown.gif

Ask him, he does great work and might be willing to let you hear a sample to see if you approve.

Jan 19, 2012 at 6:15 PM Post #560 of 1,550

Quote:

I don't have any quarrel personally with Voldemort. He seems like a very intelligent young man and some of his "discoveries" have been very enlightening to say to the least. Even my friends and HF acquaintances such LFF and Anetode are big fans of his. I think what annoys me most is not him, but his less-than-informed followers (it doesn't seem like anyone who has responded to me is one of them) crash in on threads parroting his beliefs as outlined in this manifesto.

I'm of the opinion that with great power (or influence) comes great responsibility. I believe the manifesto-ish nature tends to rub-off the wrong way (meaning badly influence in terms of attitude) on initiates who are newer to the hobby or haven't stopped to think about what is he trying to say.

I can't help but agree.  He came to try and get people to think, not to convert them from HeadFiism to the newly-created religion NwAVGuyism.  It's ridiculously annoying.

Jan 19, 2012 at 8:40 PM Post #561 of 1,550
Quote:
I don't have any quarrel personally with Voldemort. He seems like a very intelligent young man and some of his "discoveries" have been very enlightening to say to the least. Even my friends and HF acquaintances such LFF and Anetode are big fans of his. I think what annoys me most is not him, but his less-than-informed followers (it doesn't seem like anyone who has responded to me is one of them) crash in on threads parroting his beliefs as outlined in this manifesto.

I'm of the opinion that with great power (or influence) comes great responsibility. I believe the manifesto-ish nature tends to rub-off the wrong way (meaning badly influence in terms of attitude) on initiates who are newer to the hobby or haven't stopped to think about what is he trying to say.

I suppose some people will make a dogma out of anything...

Jan 19, 2012 at 8:56 PM Post #562 of 1,550
My second O2 came in today.  This time cased.  It weirdly matches my Zodiac perfectly.  Everything from the silver front panel, black shell, to the red LEDs & black lettering.  Ditto for my Pure i20 dock. 

I'm using it in "power amp" mode, maxed volume and using the Zodiac's much more refined volume pot.  It's exactly the "upgrade" over the internal head-amp I was looking for.

Also, John's build and casework is awesome.  Having owned the uncased version of the O2 I can tell how much weight is added because of the JDS cases.  It's a solid feel.  It also came in less than three days, I can't recommend John enough, provided you aren't a DIYer.

Jan 20, 2012 at 4:06 AM Post #565 of 1,550
I have, and have had a lot of headphone amps. With this objective O2 I feel that it fulfills all that I need in a headphoneamp. I will now sell all my other headphoneamps which consist of Stax, Decware Audio, Meier audio, Ibasso, and other companies. I will make one more heaphoneamp buy, and that will be the desktop version with DAC from the O2 creator.

Jan 20, 2012 at 5:10 AM Post #566 of 1,550
I have, and have had a lot of headphone amps. With this objective O2 I feel that it fulfills all that I need in a headphoneamp. I will now sell all my other headphoneamps which consist of Stax, Decware Audio, Meier audio, Ibasso, and other companies. I will make one more heaphoneamp buy, and that will be the desktop version with DAC from the O2 creator.

High praise. Makes me want one even more. Glad you found something you like, and is a huge money saver.

Jan 20, 2012 at 5:31 AM Post #567 of 1,550
Quote:

Agreed.

Just to add something: what he has done is not entirely new. There are various audio fora where whatever he has written was already known and tested. Given he at least made new audio enthusiasts think about what makes audio work is a good thing. I am not that interested in his efforts though...

Jan 20, 2012 at 5:35 AM Post #568 of 1,550
I don't think anyone is saying that NwAvGuy invented sensible audio design - but then again it wasn't invented by people on interent forums either.

Jan 20, 2012 at 6:28 AM Post #569 of 1,550
I know but his efforts have been somewhat hyped up.

With a bit of research and reading from various sources: old electric engineering books; libraries and audio fora for instance you can educate yourself a lot...

Jan 20, 2012 at 8:24 AM Post #570 of 1,550
Headphones plugged straight into the front panel jack of my desktop PC had a lot of noise from the inner workings of the machine, even when volume was down to zero. Nothing of the sort with the O2 connected. (Granted, I opened up the case, blew out a mess of dust and slightly rearranged the front cables before attaching the O2.)

So now the options for the DAC are the PC audio (Realtek ALC892), or the Creative X-Fi Go! Pro USB stick.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back