REVIEW: Nuforce NE-7M iPhone IEM vs Denon C700 and Klipsch Image X10 (NE-8 Impressions Added 1/15/09)
Feb 18, 2009 at 7:40 AM Post #526 of 854
So I've been doing some research and think have my selection down to two (unless i get other suggestions here, lol)

NuForce NE-7M vs. Etymotic Research HF2

i found the HF2s for $135, so we're talking just over double the cost.....
now % wise, yes, that's a lot, but thats only 85$ for something that i would use everyday, for say...they last for a year... thats like 20 cents more a day
I'm thinking, I have my Sen Cans for home use, I want these IEMs to be for commuting (easy in/out, block out subway noise, still tell some sound around me) and for some movies on laptop while traveling.

What do you guys think?

btw Headphoneaddict... man, ur like the reason i use message boards.... real enthusiast insight. Thanks
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 18, 2009 at 9:29 AM Post #527 of 854
Haven't heard the Etys, so it's hard to say what I recommend. If the budget allows the Etys, then I would go for the Phonak Audeo instead which are probably more detailed than the ER6i I used to have or the depodded IM716 I have now, but with better bass. And, despite their lesser efficiency, they can still get to decent volumes with the iPhone, and respond well to amping. And the mic and switch work well. If the budget doesn't need to be stretched, you could likely be very happy with the NE-7M, and buy more music with the money you save. The transparency is great for me, only lacking the finer details.

Feb 18, 2009 at 11:41 AM Post #528 of 854
Ordered a pair last night. my mylarone x3is recently broke and I've been dying to get rid of my piece of crap skullcandy INK'd backups I bought a long time ago.

I don't have a phone, just a regular iPod, and I'm already broke as hell, so I'm not going to be spending $15 more on extra tips. hope I don't hate these headphones. they're definitely really cool lookin, lolz. and coming from someone who waited 2 weeks more for the ruby x3is back in tha day, that's actually a really huge plus.

Feb 18, 2009 at 11:20 PM Post #529 of 854
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Haven't heard the Etys, so it's hard to say what I recommend. If the budget allows the Etys, then I would go for the Phonak Audeo instead which are probably more detailed than the ER6i I used to have or the depodded IM716 I have now, but with better bass. And, despite their lesser efficiency, they can still get to decent volumes with the iPhone, and respond well to amping. And the mic and switch work well. If the budget doesn't need to be stretched, you could likely be very happy with the NE-7M, and buy more music with the money you save. The transparency is great for me, only lacking the finer details.

hm... ok. Thanks for your input.....I read the Phonak Audeo review and they were said to be actually not very comfortable (sharp edges etc)

I'm willing to spend up to $150 on a pair for my iphone, as I said, I'll be using them everyday, but if I'm on the subway where there's a decent amount of ambient noise, will I be able to hear the different between the NE-7Ms and the Etys?

Feb 18, 2009 at 11:41 PM Post #530 of 854
The Phonak are not uncomfortable or sharp edges. Read this thread: Phonak Audeo? - Head-Fi: Covering Headphones, Earphones and Portable Audio

With the right tips and good isolation, you will still be able to hear a difference, I just cannot say if the Ety will be an improvement. I would not get the Ety personally because I have owned the ER6i and the IM716 and I clearly prefer the NE-7M to them because without an amp they are a step up, but the Phonak are another step up if you have 3x the budget ($159 with mic). So, I recommend what I know to be good, but don't wish to make guesses on something I haven't tried (Ety HF2).

Feb 19, 2009 at 2:57 AM Post #531 of 854
Quote:

The Phonak are not uncomfortable or sharp edges. Read this thread: Phonak Audeo? - Head-Fi: Covering Headphones, Earphones and Portable Audio

With the right tips and good isolation, you will still be able to hear a difference, I just cannot say if the Ety will be an improvement. I would not get the Ety personally because I have owned the ER6i and the IM716 and I clearly prefer the NE-7M to them because without an amp they are a step up, but the Phonak are another step up if you have 3x the budget ($159 with mic). So, I recommend what I know to be good, but don't wish to make guesses on something I haven't tried (Ety HF2).

Thanks for the input... think I'll go with the NE-7Ms then

and i did chek out the PAs, that's where I heard about the sharp edges
wink_face.gif

Quote:

Let’s talk wearing comfort. The Audéo are marketed as “Perfect Fit Earphones” with “exceptional comfort” – well, they don’t really come close to that bold claim, at least for using them while sleeping. Phonak might be a company that has 50 years experience with hearing aids, but they sure failed at making their first earphones as comfortable as their advertisements promise. It’s rather simple, actually: doesn’t Phonak’s design team know that you don’t put sharp edges on earphones?

When using the Audéo for sleeping my ears feel like they’ve been resting on a two-by-four piece of lumber for the night. Anatomically speaking, these phones put pressure on some sensitive parts of my ears, specifically the inner side of the tragus, the part above the tragus, and the anti-helix. “Simple” shaped earphones like the Sennheiser CX300 or V-Moda Vibe are more comfortable for me and even bigger, bent ones like the Shure SE530 provide better comfort while sleeping.

However, to be fair: for regular use they’re ok and don’t hurt like when using them in bed, but my ears still get slightly irritated after some time when using them on the go. The bottom part of the housing is the main culprit here, the lower edge of the metal veneer tickling my ear’s anti-helix. It might just be me, though – people with bigger (or less sensitive) ears might have fewer issues.

Thnks!!

Feb 21, 2009 at 4:18 AM Post #532 of 854
this has probably been answered but are these headphones that loop the cord over around your ear or do they just hang straight down? my JVC HAFX 300 broke and i really liked how they hung over the ear so there was NO microphonics...

Feb 21, 2009 at 6:18 AM Post #534 of 854
Quote:

You can wear them either way.

usually if it isnt design as a loop over earphone it doesnt fit as well but for $50 i might as well try it i guess... one last question, these work with a regular ipod classic right, even though the plug is a bit different due to it having a mic?

Feb 21, 2009 at 6:43 AM Post #535 of 854
Quote:

Originally Posted by gotchaforce /img/forum/go_quote.gif
usually if it isnt design as a loop over earphone it doesnt fit as well but for $50 i might as well try it i guess... one last question, these work with a regular ipod classic right, even though the plug is a bit different due to it having a mic?

yes.

Feb 21, 2009 at 1:04 PM Post #536 of 854
just got mine yesterday. 25 cents more for expedited shipping was totally worth it.

I haven't listened much, but I'm definitely glad to be back from my backup INK'd phones. I'm not the type to describe sound or anything, and I've had one other pair of IEMS which were mylarone x3is, but I do really like these. and I've never used the foam tips before so I was super excited when I put them in and found out how comfortable they were.

unfortunately I'm having a hell of a time getting a solid seal down on either side so for now its back to the regular tips I guess.

Feb 21, 2009 at 7:45 PM Post #537 of 854
Quote:

Originally Posted by StealthyCow /img/forum/go_quote.gif
just got mine yesterday. 25 cents more for expedited shipping was totally worth it.

I haven't listened much, but I'm definitely glad to be back from my backup INK'd phones. I'm not the type to describe sound or anything, and I've had one other pair of IEMS which were mylarone x3is, but I do really like these. and I've never used the foam tips before so I was super excited when I put them in and found out how comfortable they were.

unfortunately I'm having a hell of a time getting a solid seal down on either side so for now its back to the regular tips I guess.

Order some Complys T400 tips and you'll be a happy camper.

Feb 22, 2009 at 12:06 AM Post #539 of 854
just started listening to my brand new nuforce ne-7m's after about 24 hours burn and the treble has become much less forward and piercing. The balance is pretty good but on some songs I add bass via eq for a greater quantity and impact. Hopefully the bass comes more into the mix after further use.
The foamies are working better for me and have helped with the bass-deficit: I now can listen to songs like "atlas" by battles with no eq and love it!
Isolation is great and the sound stage is much larger than I anticipated. Reverb sounds much more natural and spacious than on my koss phones (ksc-75/portapro) which is HUGE as a lot of the modern music I listen to emphasizes the space in the recordings (the new animal collective album and m. ward's transistor radio).
I'm glad I went this route after so many recommendations. For 50$ you really can't do much better!
NICK

Users who are viewing this thread

Back