REVIEW: Nuforce NE-7M iPhone IEM vs Denon C700 and Klipsch Image X10 (NE-8 Impressions Added 1/15/09)
Jan 5, 2009 at 4:36 AM Post #271 of 854
Quote:

Originally Posted by Leroy Jenkems /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I got my SCL4 in yesterday and I was disappointed. They sounded lifeless compared to the NE-7M. The bass was anemic and I couldn't hear much difference in soundstage.

I'm pretty sure I got a good seal because I used to own Shure E2s before and I was accostomed to over the ear style IEMs.

Definitely says good things about the NE-7M

That's too bad, now how are you gonna find a buyer for the Shure after you posted that?

tongue.gif

Jan 5, 2009 at 7:07 AM Post #273 of 854
Quote:

I got my SCL4 in yesterday and I was disappointed. They sounded lifeless compared to the NE-7M. The bass was anemic and I couldn't hear much difference in soundstage.

I'm pretty sure I got a good seal because I used to own Shure E2s before and I was accostomed to over the ear style IEMs.

Every one of these posts makes me so glad I didn't end up getting the SCL4. Like HA said, its going to be hard to sell those.

Jan 5, 2009 at 7:30 AM Post #274 of 854
Quote:

Originally Posted by neoufo51 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Every one of these posts makes me so glad I didn't end up getting the SCL4. Like HA said, its going to be hard to sell those.

Doubtful. Just find the nearest iPod user and say, "Look, these are white too! They, like, TOTALLY match your iPod!"
atsmile.gif

Jan 5, 2009 at 8:09 AM Post #275 of 854
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
NE-7M in left ear top photo, Westone 3 bottom photo.

headphoneaddict-albums-headphone-gear-picture1677-ne7m-ear.jpg

It looks like we wear the NE-7's differently, I used to stick them in all the way with medium tips, and while I though they sounded good, they weren't great. I switched to large tips and have them angled with the end sticking out about 25-30 degrees from parallel to the ground (can't find the camera, where did the wife put it?), and you can see the copper housing sticking out of my ears. But the sound worlds better to me that way. Problem is if I move around a lot they tend to come lose.

This is the highest end headphone I own (not most expensive, but by far the best sounding) with the large tips at an angle. I have just ordered the IE8 because I have to know how mind blowing will the IE8 sound if the NE-7's sound this good?

I guess my point is everybody's ears are different, and I am glad I found the best way for me to wear these so they sound amazing!

Jan 5, 2009 at 11:40 AM Post #276 of 854
Quote:

Originally Posted by neoufo51 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The microphonics go away when you use good foam tips. If you have JVC Marshmallows, use the tips from those instead of the T400s. They sound better and have equal or better isolation, too.

I just tried to re-adjust then in my ears and they just went in further. I guess I wasn't putting them in right and as a result the SQ and comfort suffered big time. The microphonics are gone as a result.

Jan 5, 2009 at 11:50 AM Post #277 of 854
Quote:

Originally Posted by Taikero /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Doubtful. Just find the nearest iPod user and say, "Look, these are white too! They, like, TOTALLY match your iPod!"
atsmile.gif

Well, with those white headphones, those people can enjoy getting mugged for what appears to be an iPod.

Also, white is becoming less of a popular color. More people are upgrading to iPhones and Touches and most of them aren't white.

Jan 5, 2009 at 5:13 PM Post #278 of 854
Quote:

I am glad you like the NE-7Ms. I can't get my self to like them.

The Ne-7ms are the kind of sound I associate non-audiophiles to like, kind of like bose and speakers at circuit city and best buy.

I kept my Ne-7M but each time I hear them and compare them to my SCL4 I can't help but think, "I can't believe Head-fi'ers rave about these NE-7M".

The NE-7M sounds slow, sloppy and inaccurate.

Jan 5, 2009 at 6:49 PM Post #279 of 854
Quote:

Originally Posted by oarnura /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The NE-7M sounds slow, sloppy and inaccurate.

Wierd. I can't make mine sound like that at all, while that could apply to my C700 when compared side by side with the NE-7M.

Jan 5, 2009 at 7:22 PM Post #280 of 854
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wierd. I can't make mine sound like that at all, while that could apply to my C700 when compared side by side with the NE-7M.

Its all relative. Compared to the SCL4, D-Jays and other Balanced Armature IEMs I have they sound slow and inaccurate.

Does anyone know the impedance of the NE-7M? I get no hiss from my iPhone 3G on any of my IEMs. But from my macbook pro I get hiss on my SCL4 but not on the NE-7m.

The bass on the SCL4 really comes out on the Macbook Pro. The iPhone doesn't have the power to drive them properly. The SCL4s are designed to be driven by Shure's monitoring systems which explains why the amp matters.

The Ne-7ms do sound great for $50 IEMs. I would recommend them at that price point in a heart beat. But as price points go up I am hearing a clear step up in clarity ala D-Jays and SCL4. I just don't see them beating the more expensive IEMs I own. The D-Jays I got for $69 so they weren't that much more expensive. The SCL4s at $80.

Jan 5, 2009 at 11:34 PM Post #281 of 854
I'm a new NE-7M owner with a potentially stupid question. I didn't want to make a new thread over this.

So... uh... which one goes in the left/right ears? I'm assuming that the one with the call answer button is the right headphone, but since both the manual's fairly generic (seems to apply to multiple NuForce products) and both headphones have an L symbol on them, I'm kind of stumped!

:/

Jan 5, 2009 at 11:50 PM Post #282 of 854
They are marked L and R on the lower portion near where the cable enters. The left (L) phone is the one with the mic button - at least on mine.

I have between 15-20 hours on mine and first impressions are favorable. Bass is solid and fairly well defined (as previously mentioned) and the mids and highs seem to be pretty well balanced. The weak spot for me seems to be a little "fuzzy" imaging with the center image sometimes lacking good definition. Crossfeed on the Corda 2Move helps with this - it's not a huge problem just images a little differently than I'm used to. Overall I'd have to say this is the best balanced IEM that I've owned. The Shure E4C (owned twice) lacked the bass definition and had no sparkle on top but the mids were quite a bit better. My Altec Lansing IM716 (unmodified) sounded a lot more refined in the mids and highs but had very little bass. My JVC Marshmallows, which are boomy and have VERY unrefined highs have been my cheap bridge between various IEMs but I think these NE-7Ms are the best compromise for me. More to follow after they break in.

Good luck.....

Rich

Jan 6, 2009 at 12:28 AM Post #284 of 854
Quote:

Originally Posted by richsto /img/forum/go_quote.gif
They are marked L and R on the lower portion near where the cable enters. The left (L) phone is the one with the mic button - at least on mine.

I have between 15-20 hours on mine and first impressions are favorable. Bass is solid and fairly well defined (as previously mentioned) and the mids and highs seem to be pretty well balanced. The weak spot for me seems to be a little "fuzzy" imaging with the center image sometimes lacking good definition. Crossfeed on the Corda 2Move helps with this - it's not a huge problem just images a little differently than I'm used to. Overall I'd have to say this is the best balanced IEM that I've owned. The Shure E4C (owned twice) lacked the bass definition and had no sparkle on top but the mids were quite a bit better. My Altec Lansing IM716 (unmodified) sounded a lot more refined in the mids and highs but had very little bass. My JVC Marshmallows, which are boomy and have VERY unrefined highs have been my cheap bridge between various IEMs but I think these NE-7Ms are the best compromise for me. More to follow after they break in.

Good luck.....

Rich

The " "fuzzy" imaging with the center image sometimes lacking good definition" did improve for me with burn-in, and I was actually thinking how good that part was when I was listening with my 4G Nano on vacation last week.

Jan 6, 2009 at 12:38 AM Post #285 of 854
Quote:

Originally Posted by richsto /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Good luck.....

Rich

Even after 40+ hours of burn-in the imaging is off on mine. Not sure if it will improve over time.

The SCL4s/E4C don't work too well for hip hop where as the Ne-7m work better with that genre for me :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back