[Review] Nuforce HA-200 - affordable class-A monoblocks
Jan 2, 2017 at 5:08 PM Post #121 of 183
I haven't tried the Steinberg, but I've used several Focusrite interfaces with great success.

Jan 2, 2017 at 8:00 PM Post #122 of 183
  I haven't tried the Steinberg, but I've used several Focusrite interfaces with great success.

I think they both offer identical features for my purpose; and the price point is almost identical on Amazon. Both should work under Linux according to reviewers. They appear to use different DAC chip sets: Cirrus Logic 4272 chip (Focusrite Scarlett 2i2) and Cirrus Logic 4270 chip (Steinberg UR22mkII). Not sure, if that translates into a big difference in the sound signature though?

What do folks use for cables with the NuForce HA200 and HD650? Cables that are readily available for the HD650 use a male 4 pin XLR. Would I need a Y converter to go from two 3 pin XLR to the 4 pin? Or are there cables out there that go from a single 3 pin XLR each to HD650 righ / left channel each?

Jan 2, 2017 at 10:28 PM Post #123 of 183
Yes, you can get headphone cables that terminate in dual 3-pin XLR. If you already have the 4-pin XLR cable, then you'll want an adapter (4-pin XLR female to dual 3-pin XLR male).

Jan 10, 2017 at 9:55 PM Post #124 of 183
I've just received my (single) amp; and I am very pleased with the sound signature. Would going the balanced route really be a significant improvement over single ended? I am just trying to gauge, if the extra cost involved getting a DAC with balanced outs, interconnects and headphone cables is worth the cost.

Jan 10, 2017 at 9:58 PM Post #125 of 183
There's no "good" answer to that. Some of it comes down to what kind of headphone you have, and whether your upstream components already have balanced.

If none of your other gear is balanced, it's probably not worth the investment to redo your entire chain.

Jan 10, 2017 at 10:08 PM Post #126 of 183
I own a pair of HD650 and Beyerdynamics T1. Signal chain:
Digital source > DAC (Focusrite Scarlett 2i2?) > Amps.

Jan 10, 2017 at 10:15 PM Post #127 of 183
... and I have an HE400i coming tomorrow.

Jan 10, 2017 at 10:24 PM Post #128 of 183
Ok, the Focusrite should be sufficient and will give you volume control. Do you have balanced cables for your headphones? If so, then the only thing you will need is the dual 3-pin XLR(m) to 4-pin XLR(f) adapter.

Jan 10, 2017 at 10:46 PM Post #129 of 183
No, I have nothing balanced except the amp.
It's not really a money issue, if the improvement is significant; and I understand that's somewhat subjective. I've read impressions over at HeadRoom that claim a person would be “completely flabbergasted”, another one at Benchmark stating there's no difference at all, it's all a myth - I guess take you pick?
I would have to by the DAC (~$150,-), the interconnects (~$15,-) and headphone cables (for HE or HD maybe ~$100,-).

Jan 10, 2017 at 10:49 PM Post #130 of 183
I'm not sure why your replies are showing up as empty links?

You have a Focusrite Scarlett which should function as your balanced dac. You could also create a de-facto balanced output from single ended sources using a two channel DI box (not too expensive and a nice multi tool to have around).

The Benchmark article on balanced drive has to be read with a bit of salt on the tongue, as they are promoting their own brand of headamp which is only single ended.

Jan 10, 2017 at 11:09 PM Post #131 of 183
  I'm not sure why your replies are showing up as empty links?

You have a Focusrite Scarlett which should function as your balanced dac. You could also create a de-facto balanced output from single ended sources using a two channel DI box (not too expensive and a nice multi tool to have around).

The Benchmark article on balanced drive has to be read with a bit of salt on the tongue, as they are promoting their own brand of headamp which is only single ended.

I didn't notice the empty links;  now corrected. It's a by-product of copy-and-paste from Lyx.
DI box like a mixer? I think you mentioned that in one of your earlier posts. Larger footprint and no significant cost savings. I would rather go with the Focusrite or Steinberg.
Yes, clearly all of the manufacturers (HeadRoom or Benchmark) have their own agenda.
Thanks for your feedback.
Cheers

Jan 10, 2017 at 11:13 PM Post #132 of 183
@tonKopf
I have 2 HA-200s and I would say the difference is nothing to write home about. The reason I would still advocate for buying 2 is because they are a bargain and might come handy down the road if you ever buy power hungry headphones. And that is mainly the real reason I bought my pair. After owning the Cavalli Liquid Carbon for a few months, I quickly realized not to take the hype too seriously about anything audio related, so if money is not an issue I say go for it and find out for yourself.

Jan 10, 2017 at 11:16 PM Post #133 of 183
Something like this is a nice multi tool for connecting equipment: http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/DTI
It provides ground isolation and conversion at the same time.

There are full fledged mixers as well. Plenty of options out there.

Jan 10, 2017 at 11:27 PM Post #134 of 183
@tonKopf
I have 2 HA-200s and I would say the difference is nothing to write home about. The reason I would still advocate for buying 2 is because they are a bargain and might come handy down the road if you ever buy power hungry headphones. And that is mainly the real reason I bought my pair. After owning the Cavalli Liquid Carbon for a few months, I quickly realized not to take the hype too seriously about anything audio related, so if money is not an issue I say go for it and find out for yourself.

Thanks man, I've been rather sceptical. Though your point on driving power hungry headphones is well taken. Yeah, too much hype in audio circles. It's all so audio-magical. The NuForce HA-200 was a good investment. I really like the sound!

Jan 10, 2017 at 11:30 PM Post #135 of 183
  Something like this is a nice multi tool for connecting equipment: http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/DTI
It provides ground isolation and conversion at the same time.

There are full fledged mixers as well. Plenty of options out there.

Cool... much appreciated. I will add this item to my list. I'll probably eventually go for a balanced setup, if not just to satisfy my curiousity, but I think I'll take my time and look out for bargains.
Cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back