REVIEW (more to come) - CEntrance DACport 24/96 USB DAC Amp
Feb 12, 2012 at 4:42 PM Post #256 of 515

Quote:
That is good to know.  I have a DACport but also the DACmini with the 1 Ohm option and like both of them. But I have to admit that the DACport would benefit more bass power.

Oh My. I've been thinking of the dacport too, but no local dealer has demo models. I play macbook pro to grado 325i headphones, which are not known for punchy bass. If the stock dacport can't do things right, and one needs a $100 mod on top of it, then I wonder if this is the one for me. 

Any comparisons between the dacport and related portable usb dac/headphone amps out there, between $100-500??

Feb 13, 2012 at 8:55 PM Post #257 of 515
Oh, and does anyone know if Grado 325i phones will demand the 1ohm modification on the dacport? That's another $100. And if the mod is done, does this make a problem if you switch over to high impedance Sennheiser headphones?

Feb 13, 2012 at 9:27 PM Post #258 of 515
Quote:
Oh, and does anyone know if Grado 325i phones will demand the 1ohm modification on the dacport? That's another $100. And if the mod is done, does this make a problem if you switch over to high impedance Sennheiser headphones?

Well, I'm not expert, but I think one of the appeals for tubes with Grados is that most tube amps have a high output impedance, and thus will color the sound in a way that compliments Grado headphones. If you get the 1 ohm mod, it will merely help with increasing the damping factor, which is better for overall driver control, and will sound most faithful to the actual tuning of the headphone, but I don't know if that's the best thing for a SR325i... JM2C

Apr 10, 2012 at 5:32 AM Post #259 of 515
We need a catch phrase for the Dacport LX...

How about:

Finally, a dac that can please both the audiophile....and his wife. 

Sorry, I had to do it 
tongue_smile.gif

Apr 10, 2012 at 6:56 PM Post #260 of 515

Quote:
We need a catch phrase for the Dacport LX...

Finally, a dac that can please both the audiophile....and his wife. 

Wow.  Would that be covered under warranty?

May 5, 2012 at 6:24 PM Post #261 of 515
Has anyone tried both the 10-ohm and 1-ohm versions of the DACport? I'm thinking about getting one, but not sure if I should go for the 1-ohm mod. I'll be using it for and HD650, UM3X, SRH440, and KSC75. Maybe a Grado in the future too.

May 5, 2012 at 6:34 PM Post #262 of 515
1ohm is preferable for the most part but the price is steep.  I would consider saving the cost of the mod and the cost of the DACport and getting the DACPort LX and a transparent amp instead.  Your bets bet would be the O2 or something comparable around the $100-$150 mark +DACPort LX.  This will be your optimal solution wrt sound quality if keeping a self contained tube isn't your main priority.

May 5, 2012 at 6:49 PM Post #263 of 515
Yeah, it's the price that's making me think twice about it. However, the biggest draw of the DACport for me is getting great sound from such a nice and convenient form factor, so I might end up going for the 1-ohm mod if I get one.

May 7, 2012 at 3:57 PM Post #264 of 515
Quote:
1ohm is preferable for the most part but the price is steep.  I would consider saving the cost of the mod and the cost of the DACport and getting the DACPort LX and a transparent amp instead.  Your bets bet would be the O2 or something comparable around the $100-$150 mark +DACPort LX.  This will be your optimal solution wrt sound quality if keeping a self contained tube isn't your main priority.

I this point if you go for the O2 why not get the combo O2 & ODAC. I know that nobody heard it yet but...

May 10, 2012 at 8:49 AM Post #265 of 515
I owned my DACPort for a few months before I got the 1 ohm mod.  I wasn't thrilled about paying an extra $100 but since I got a great deal on an open box from Ebay, my final price ended up being the same.  It's worth every penny.  It made a noticeable difference in my HE-500s (much tighter bass) and sounds incredible with my UM Miracles (near bottomless bass). The last combination is so good that I ended up selling off the HE-500s.

May 11, 2012 at 1:24 AM Post #266 of 515
Quote:
I this point if you go for the O2 why not get the combo O2 & ODAC. I know that nobody heard it yet but...

Why not?  Because one should never recommend something they haven't heard.

Jul 8, 2012 at 5:00 AM Post #267 of 515
Would it generally be recommended to get the Headphone Linearity Mod (1 Ohm Impedance) for the DACport if I wanted to use it with my TF10s (32 ohm) and Audio Technica W1000X (42 ohm)? Are there any downsides of doing this mod, like lower max volume? (besides wallet)

I'd also want to use the DACport with my 250 ohm and 80 ohm Beyerdynamic DT250s if possible.

Also open to suggestions for other USB DAC/amps for the above mentioned headphones.

edit: Feels bad... Seems I just missed a 20% off coupon by about 6 hours.. ;_;

Jul 9, 2012 at 1:23 AM Post #268 of 515
Quote:
Would it generally be recommended to get the Headphone Linearity Mod (1 Ohm Impedance) for the DACport if I wanted to use it with my TF10s (32 ohm) and Audio Technica W1000X (42 ohm)? Are there any downsides of doing this mod, like lower max volume? (besides wallet)

I'd also want to use the DACport with my 250 ohm and 80 ohm Beyerdynamic DT250s if possible.

Also open to suggestions for other USB DAC/amps for the above mentioned headphones.

edit: Feels bad... Seems I just missed a 20% off coupon by about 6 hours.. ;_;

I have been enjoying the DACport since day one without the 1 ohm mod.  I have no intention of getting the mod, and think it works well with low impedance IEM and full size phones with a wide variety of impedances.  

I would like to hear the mod myself, and don't see a downside to it other than the possibility of a little more hiss (not sure if that has been reported).  But I'm not sure it's needed - if it was necessary I think it would be standard to have 1 ohm output impedance and not an extra charge to drop it from 10 ohm.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back