REVIEW (more to come) - CEntrance DACport 24/96 USB DAC Amp
Jul 28, 2012 at 1:57 AM Post #286 of 515
Quote:

Thanks sling5s!  

That reinforces my suspicions - which begs the question: 

Is anyone using an external USB hub with AC adapter that provides a stable power source for the DACport or DACport LX?

Thanks!

Mike

I can vouch. I've had the same issues in the past and even had my very first unit sent in for replacement. When I got the second unit I still had some of the drop out issues but it was less frequent. I then got a USB Powered Hub and that eliminated the problems all together. I no longer get the power drop out (audio cutting out) and the DACport doesn't cut itself off and power on when I press my mouse (seemed like a sleep mode).

Aug 11, 2012 at 8:21 AM Post #287 of 515
From what I understand, in Windows Vista and newer, with DirectSound (I haven't tried WASAPI or ASIO) if only a single program is playing audio that's going through Windows Mixer it won't be resampled. "Audio will only be resampled if multiple programs are playing audio." Is this true?

If so, what happens when you install the Centrance Universal driver which also allows you to set a sampling rate and latency in it's Control Panel? This seems to default to 96000, so is that what it's going to output for DirectSound or will it still output my music without resampling?

Aug 11, 2012 at 9:44 AM Post #288 of 515
Hi namaiki,

Quote:
From what I understand, in Windows Vista and newer, with DirectSound (I haven't tried WASAPI or ASIO) if only a single program is playing audio that's going through Windows Mixer it won't be resampled. "Audio will only be resampled if multiple programs are playing audio." Is this true?

If so, what happens when you install the Centrance Universal driver which also allows you to set a sampling rate and latency in it's Control Panel? This seems to default to 96000, so is that what it's going to output for DirectSound or will it still output my music without resampling?

I think you should contact support@centrance.com and direct your questions to David McRell.  

In my experience, there are people at Centrance who know what they're doing and they're are some who don't - who give incorrect answers.  My recent posts to this thread chronicle my having been told that the DACport can request 9V DC from a 5V DC USB port.  I later learned, that this is not true.  

Ask for David McRell.  I suspect he will tell you not to run their Universal Driver without also running ASIO, but ask him.  And please post a follow-up.

Thanks!

Mike

Aug 13, 2012 at 2:09 PM Post #289 of 515
Michael Goodman here, pitching in to apologize on behalf of CEntrance for any misinformation we may have inadvertently caused.

We researched the email threads and here is what we found out:

I'm actually the culprit of misinformation! I had responded to one of your messages quickly and said "yes", thinking that you were referring to 5V, when you were, in fact, referring to 9V. As the Chief Product Architect I should know better to read my emails more carefully!

So there - problem solved. CEntrance folks who respond here on Head-fi are actually very knowledgeable. The one who made the mistake has been sacked! :)

Aug 14, 2012 at 5:25 PM Post #290 of 515
Michael Goodman here, pitching in to apologize on behalf of CEntrance for any misinformation we may have inadvertently caused.

We researched the email threads and here is what we found out:

I'm actually the culprit of misinformation! I had responded to one of your messages quickly and said "yes", thinking that you were referring to 5V, when you were, in fact, referring to 9V. As the Chief Product Architect I should know better to read my emails more carefully!

So there - problem solved. CEntrance folks who respond here on Head-fi are actually very knowledgeable. The one who made the mistake has been sacked! :)

I vote that they hire you back!

...with a warning in your file.

:p

Aug 17, 2012 at 10:17 AM Post #291 of 515
Me as a noob is amazed by the performane of the dacport lx, i use the dacport lx alone to feed my dt880/600 ohm and my ms1i (no amp) because i have be more flexible to move around in my daily job, the setup is laptop > dacport lx > dt880/ms1i. I never liked to equalized my foobar2k i like it flat but the dacport lx is pushing the mids to come forward abit, add some sparkle on the treble, and add some body to the bass in a good way on the dt880/600 ohm which i really love about it since i listen to metal/rock music alot, it also drives my dt880/600 ohm pretty good and definitely drives the ms1i pretty loud
biggrin.gif

just my 2 cent, do apologize for my bad english
biggrin.gif

Aug 17, 2012 at 12:12 PM Post #292 of 515

Hi zeinheris!

Thanks for sharing your very positive opinion of the DACport LX.  

I've been in the market for a USB DAC for a long time, now, and have enjoyed borrowing a friend's DACPort LX several times - for a total of at least 100 hours of listening.  

To date, using the DACport LX has consistently offered the BEST listening experience I have ever had, with either my Meier Stepdance (single-ended to LCD-2 via stock cables) or iBasso PB2 Pelican (balanced to LCD-2 via Toxic Cables Silver Poision).

I have to follow that statement, however, with admitting that the only other DACs I've spent considerable time with is the April Music Stello 100 (a desktop DAC, used with USB input) and the proprietary sigma-delta DAC built-in to my Sony PCM-M10 recorder/player.

Thus, I have very little experience listening to other DACs, but everywhere I go, I keep reading very positive reviews of the DACport LX so, one of these days, I'll likely break down and buy one of my own. 
smile.gif
\

Mike

Sep 5, 2012 at 4:41 PM Post #295 of 515
Sep 12, 2012 at 10:27 AM Post #298 of 515
Quote:
My DACport LX is one of my few pieces that has had staying power.

The DACport LX also has the power of making me drop what I'm doing, close my eyes, sit back in my chair and just listen to the music.  It's overwhelming at times.  I get freakin' ambushed by the music!

I am awestruck by my current chain:   FLAC -> Foobar -> CEntrance DACport LX -> Milian Acoustics SPOFC interconnect -> iBasso PB2 with LME49990s and HA5002s on 16V regulated XP8000 battery pack -> balanced out via Toxic Cables Silver Poison -> Audeze LCD-2 rev.1

Without dobut, the DACport LX is the cornerstone of my equipment.  I can't count the number of times more experienced people have stressed the need for a great source, but I learned that lesson a while back, finally, when I started borrowing my friend's DACport LX.  Every link in the chain has to be strong, but it's obvious that the DACport LX influences literally every link that's downstream - bringing out the best in each of them.

Mike

Sep 19, 2012 at 4:53 AM Post #300 of 515
Quote:
 Do you guys unplug the Dacport LX when you're not listening to music? I noticed it gets pretty hot and was just wondering if I should unplug it when not in use. Thanks

no i never unplug the Dacport LX when it not in use, i noticed that the light indicator on Dacport LX will go off and the temperature will go down if there is no signal coming from USB port more than 3 minute

Users who are viewing this thread

Back