REVIEW (more to come) - CEntrance DACport 24/96 USB DAC Amp
Oct 5, 2012 at 10:16 PM Post #317 of 515
Great read. Glad I opted for the LX over the DACport. At least from what I've read from other members the LX is more transparent and the overall better value... Plus combining it with a dedicated amp it will sound even better across the board. Listening right now from and L3 Triad and it sounds amazing.

Oct 6, 2012 at 4:41 AM Post #318 of 515
Quote:
Great read. Glad I opted for the LX over the DACport. At least from what I've read from other members the LX is more transparent and the overall better value... Plus combining it with a dedicated amp it will sound even better across the board. Listening right now from and L3 Triad and it sounds amazing.

The LX it's a great DAC for it's price, this baby can drive my DT880/600 ohm effortless, and it will drive my HE500 soon as the HE500 arrived

Oct 6, 2012 at 4:43 AM Post #319 of 515
Quote:

The LX it's a great DAC for it's price, this baby can drive my DT880/600 ohm effortless, and it will drive my HE500 soon as the HE500 arrived

You don't use an amp with it? I use an amp. Too worried about possibly damaging my IEM or my ears lol. I hear its not good to do direct connecting to it for some reason.

Oct 6, 2012 at 4:58 AM Post #320 of 515
Quote:
You don't use an amp with it? I use an amp. Too worried about possibly damaging my IEM or my ears lol. I hear its not good to do direct connecting to it for some reason.

No i don't use an amp because of my daily job in terms of flexibilty (Transportable Setup Laptop > DacportLX > DT880/600 ohm), well i can control the volume trough the foobar, i know that the DT880/600 ohm needs to be feed by a desktop amp atleast like SS slee novo or a tube amp like la figaro will definitly give a better sinergy with it, but due to the technicality of the LX i'm preety satisfied with my Transportable Setup
biggrin.gif

Oct 6, 2012 at 5:01 AM Post #321 of 515
Well maybe due to it being so power hungry it's not so bad. I think the highest impedance IEM I have is 26 Ohms :p. Pairs marvelously though with the UHA6 MKII and Triad L3.

Oct 6, 2012 at 5:13 AM Post #322 of 515
At first i don't believe the LX could have a good synergy with the DT880/600 ohm since the LX only powered by an USB port, but when i tried it ohhh boy the LX can make the DT880 sing beautifuly
wink_face.gif

Oct 6, 2012 at 5:16 AM Post #323 of 515
Quote:
At first i don't believe the LX could have a good synergy with the DT880/600 ohm since the LX only powered by an USB port, but when i tried it ohhh boy the LX can make the DT880 sing beautifuly
wink_face.gif

It's pretty much paired quite nicely with everything I've thrown at it. It's extremely neutral and transparent. I love the mid range the most on it :wink:.

Oct 6, 2012 at 5:24 AM Post #324 of 515
Quote:
It's pretty much paired quite nicely with everything I've thrown at it. It's extremely neutral and transparent. I love the mid range the most on it :wink:.

X2 on the midrange
biggrin.gif
, the DT880 have a recessed midrange compared to my alessandro, but the LX brings out the mids without ruining everything else
dt880smile.png

Oct 6, 2012 at 7:37 AM Post #325 of 515
Technically, in the absence of an amp with an analog volume control, use of either the player software volume control or the OS volume control to reduce the volume heard when directly connected to a DAC, will cause a loss of dynamics because you are literally reducing the bit depth when you adjust the software volume controls.  A recording that starts out with a 16-bit range can provide up to 96dB of dynamics.  Using software to turn down the volume compresses the recording's inherent dynamics.  But...  Most recordings come no where near using the full 96dB range, so most of the time, you can get away with it, or at least, not notice it.

Then there's the issue of the DAC's output impedance vs. the headphone or IEM impedance...  Let's hope the former is less than the latter.

Quoting Headfonia's review of the DACport LX:

RUNNING AMPLESS
So you no longer get the convenience of being able to plug headphones and IEMs straight into the DACport LX the way you do with the original DACport. But testing the unit reveals that things still sound good, even as I try plugging anything from a Hifiman RE-272 IEM to an Audez’e LCD-2 headphone (Yes! the big Orthodynamic!) to the LX’s output socket. Volume control is done on the digital domain via iTunes. No breaking up of sound, no distortions, no frequency rolls off, only a noticeably weaker bass punch compared to the DACport’s output jack since we’re running the headphone straight from the DAC’s analog stage. This is what Michael Goodman says about it:

“The output stage is buffered, but you may be maxing out the buffer that way. We recommend that LX is followed by amp with a higher input impedance. But it won’t get damaged the way you are using it, so it’s ok.”

I’m not suggesting that you run on that configuration, but you can get away with it as long as you can bear that bass punch is not as punchy as it’s supposed to be (though bass levels are not an issue with the LCD-2).

In other words, if it sounds OK to your ears, go for it, but it would bug me just knowing that I'm reducing the dynamics that way.  
biggrin.gif
  Don't think about what I've just written, and you'll be fine. 
biggrin.gif

Actually, anyone who can appreciate the very neutral, detailed, analytical quality that comes directly from an LX, would very much appreciate a spectacularly transparent amp - a "powered wire."  

The DACport LX -> Meier Stepdance is a wonderful combination (practically a benchmark) for just about any IEM or headphone except those that are very power-hungry (HE-6).

Let there be dynamics.

Mike

Oct 17, 2012 at 4:23 AM Post #330 of 515
Quote:
You guys are never happy 
eek.gif

Nothing wrong with asking for 24/192 on the CEntrance DACport and LX. To be honest this device sounds better than a lot of it's competitors which also support 24/192. So it would make sense for it to support such a resolution. Especially considering there are DACs that are noticeably cheaper and have the native support. That's pretty much what I see as it's flaw as of now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back