REVIEW (more to come) - CEntrance DACport 24/96 USB DAC Amp
Oct 23, 2012 at 9:11 PM Post #346 of 515
Quote:
I am running on Windows XP now, which does not have WASAPI. WHen I get home tonight, I will set up my home Win 7 64 computer and see how that works. I downloaded CEntrance's drivers for the Dacport LX, which include an ASIO driver, and set foobar to play through the ASIO:Dacport and not the DS:Dacport. Now I can call up the control panel and see that the Sample rate that the Dacport LX is using is the same as the sample rate of the file. Using the DirectSound ouput, that isn't the case; the control panel always shows what I select, not what the music is. Does this mean that Windows is resampling as it sends to the LX?

Also, on this setting,whenever the sample rate of the input changes, there is a 3 to 5 second delay before foobar plays; as if it takes a few seconds for either foobar or the DACport LX to switch sampling rates. There is no delay when using Directsound (DS). This is still under WinXP for what it is worth.

Try install media monkey and copy the asio dll file into the "Plug ins" folder in Media Monkey program folder. Then go to ouput plugins and enable Asio and activate the DACport LX driver. This is true bit for bit playback. You will be using your amp to attenuate the signal.

Oct 23, 2012 at 9:44 PM Post #347 of 515
I've already got it working with ASIO under foobar, so I think I'll stick with that. The only issue is that "hitch" when the sample rate changes.

Interestingly, I CANNOT get foobar/DACport to work using WASAPI. I've done some research, and at this point am willing to chalk it up to a realtek/64bit/24bit audio issue.

The only issue this leaves me with is that some of my music is 22050 kHz, and I cannot play that through the DACport using ASIO as it doesn't support that sample rate.

Thank you for the advice!!

Oct 23, 2012 at 10:14 PM Post #348 of 515
No worries. The reason I was suggesting it is because in true bit for bit playback you are not suppose to have volume control via the program. It is suppose to be at the mercy of your amp. I feel quality is lost when using the volume control on the program itself. But if its your cup of tea more power to you.

Oct 23, 2012 at 10:23 PM Post #349 of 515
OK, I think I got the resampling issue understood. The following assumes that the CEntrance drivers have been installed, and you can access the DACport control panel.

1. Using DirectSample
    1. Windows will resample your input to match the required output. Whatever the input is, it will be resampled to whatever is showing on the panel. You will hear all of your music, but not necessarily bit-for-bit, unless the file happens to be sampled at the rate showing on the DACport control panel.
  2. Using ASIO
    1. Windows will not resample your input to match the required output. However, ASIO can control the DACport LX if the boxed is checked (and it should be). Therefore, as long as the input is one of 44.1, 48, 88.2, or 96, then foobar (or whatever) will play the music, and it will be bit-for-bit as the DACport is handling everything. Other non-standard rates will NOT be played, as Windows will not be doing any resampling.
  3. Using WASAPI
    1. Windows will not resample your input to match the required output, and the player does not control the DAC. Therefore, the sampling rate has to be manually controlled by the DACport LX's control panel. If that is done, the files will play, otherwise you get a Unrecoverable playback error: Unsupported stream format: 44100 Hz / 24-bit / 2 channels error (I had mind set on 48000 for this example). Manually selecting a sampling rate on the CEntrance control panel will allow for files sampled under that rate played under WASAPI.

I hope that helps.

Also, there has to be an easier way to make nested lists than playing with the HTML code :)

Oct 23, 2012 at 11:00 PM Post #350 of 515
Plus true bit for bit means no volume control via the program. It is suppose to be locked on 100%. Otherwise it is not "true bit for bit".

Oct 24, 2012 at 12:37 AM Post #351 of 515
On a different note, how well does the DACport drive Orthos?  Currently have the T50RP on hand and I'm wondering is it driving the Fostex fully.  If not, at what % capacity does it power it at?

Also, considering very hard to get a DACmini to go hand in hand with future headphone upgrades, though with a Stepdance coming in I'm wondering if its worth it at all....

Oct 24, 2012 at 12:51 AM Post #352 of 515
Quote:
Plus true bit for bit means no volume control via the program. It is suppose to be locked on 100%. Otherwise it is not "true bit for bit".

ASIO locks the standard windows slider under foobar in Win 7 64, well, it still works, but the volume does not change. However, the foobar slider still works, but leaving it at 100% will ensure bit-for-bit. To close the loop, I installed the SoX plugin for foobar with the second mod. Now, all 44.1, 48, 88.2, and 96 sampled music goes untouched to the DACport and everything else (some 22.05 and 32) gets upsampled to 44.1 (which is no different than what would happen under DS).

Nov 9, 2012 at 9:36 PM Post #353 of 515
Quote:
On a different note, how well does the DACport drive Orthos?  Currently have the T50RP on hand and I'm wondering is it driving the Fostex fully.  If not, at what % capacity does it power it at?

Also, considering very hard to get a DACmini to go hand in hand with future headphone upgrades, though with a Stepdance coming in I'm wondering if its worth it at all....

I am enjoying my new Mad dogs with Dog pads with the DACport. The DACport drives this comfortably - I am listening at 40%-50% volume. Note that this is a modded T50RP so there might be some differences. I am new at the headphone world but I am happy with the combo :). Dunno much about the % capacity. 

Nov 10, 2012 at 5:44 AM Post #354 of 515
Quote:

Well i'm driving my HE-500 with the Dacport and the synergy is pretty good actually, the Dacport put a 1.5W @600 ohm on the ouput while the HE-500 need 1W @38 ohm, but i don't know which one is the easiest to drive between the T50RP or the HE-500

Nov 29, 2012 at 11:54 PM Post #355 of 515
Quote:
OK, I think I got the resampling issue understood. The following assumes that the CEntrance drivers have been installed, and you can access the DACport control panel.

1. Using DirectSample
    1. Windows will resample your input to match the required output. Whatever the input is, it will be resampled to whatever is showing on the panel. You will hear all of your music, but not necessarily bit-for-bit, unless the file happens to be sampled at the rate showing on the DACport control panel.
  2. Using ASIO
    1. Windows will not resample your input to match the required output. However, ASIO can control the DACport LX if the boxed is checked (and it should be). Therefore, as long as the input is one of 44.1, 48, 88.2, or 96, then foobar (or whatever) will play the music, and it will be bit-for-bit as the DACport is handling everything. Other non-standard rates will NOT be played, as Windows will not be doing any resampling.
  3. Using WASAPI
    1. Windows will not resample your input to match the required output, and the player does not control the DAC. Therefore, the sampling rate has to be manually controlled by the DACport LX's control panel. If that is done, the files will play, otherwise you get a Unrecoverable playback error: Unsupported stream format: 44100 Hz / 24-bit / 2 channels error (I had mind set on 48000 for this example). Manually selecting a sampling rate on the CEntrance control panel will allow for files sampled under that rate played under WASAPI.

I hope that helps.

Also, there has to be an easier way to make nested lists than playing with the HTML code :)

To close the loop on this, I installed the SoX Resampler, mod 1 <http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=67373> , into foobar. Now anything 44.1, 48, 88.2, or 96 flows through untouched. Anything else gets upsampled to the closest entry in that list (or downsampled to 96 if > 96. See <http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=67376&st=50&p=668466&#entry668466>). The 95%+ of my music in those 4 bands flows through directly to the DACport LX, and the remainder gets adjusted so I don't have to miss anything.

I'm currently listening at home: foobar --> DACport LX -> Meier Corda Jazz --> Denon AHD-7000. I am SO enjoying this!!!!!

smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 1, 2012 at 2:52 AM Post #356 of 515
Quote:
To close the loop on this, I installed the SoX Resampler, mod 1 <http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=67373> , into foobar. Now anything 44.1, 48, 88.2, or 96 flows through untouched. Anything else gets upsampled to the closest entry in that list (or downsampled to 96 if > 96. See <http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=67376&st=50&p=668466&#entry668466>). The 95%+ of my music in those 4 bands flows through directly to the DACport LX, and the remainder gets adjusted so I don't have to miss anything.

I'm currently listening at home: foobar --> DACport LX -> Meier Corda Jazz --> Denon AHD-7000. I am SO enjoying this!!!!!

smily_headphones1.gif

Can you elaborate on the need for this? I use my LX with my Triad L3, Firestone PSU/Silver cable LOD with cPlay and don't have any issues with playback.

Dec 1, 2012 at 6:17 PM Post #357 of 515
That could be for one of two reasons. Most likely, all your music is sampled at one of the rates that the DACport LX can handle natively: one of 44.1, 48, 88.2, or 96Khz. The other option is that you are not using WASAPI or ASIO to handle the way your music is being sent to the DACport, so it is possible that the music is being resampled to one of those 4 rates before it gets to the DACport.

Dec 1, 2012 at 7:24 PM Post #358 of 515
Quote:
That could be for one of two reasons. Most likely, all your music is sampled at one of the rates that the DACport LX can handle natively: one of 44.1, 48, 88.2, or 96Khz. The other option is that you are not using WASAPI or ASIO to handle the way your music is being sent to the DACport, so it is possible that the music is being resampled to one of those 4 rates before it gets to the DACport.

No I'm using Asio with cPlay using the DACport LXs driver provided by CEntrance.

Dec 2, 2012 at 12:20 AM Post #359 of 515
Is any of your music not sampled at 44.1/48/88.2/96? If so, something has to be resampling it to one of those for the DACport LX to handle it.

Dec 2, 2012 at 12:24 AM Post #360 of 515
Quote:
Is any of your music not sampled at 44.1/48/88.2/96? If so, something has to be resampling it to one of those for the DACport LX to handle it.

Only my 24/192 files. Everything else is in the appropriate format. I always make sure to put it on the proper file playback manually as I don't want it to upsample anything if it doesn't have to. It does downsample on the 24/192 though but still sounds real good. I find upsampling makes things more distant. Makes the sound stage bigger which I don't like. I can see it working on an in your head IEM or can with a small sound stage. But having IEMs that present large sound stages it just doesn't sound right to me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back