REVIEW: Meier Audio Concerto headphone amp
Oct 21, 2010 at 11:51 AM Post #557 of 835

Quote:
Well My Concerto & T1 arrived earlier today, ordered Tuesday & arrived Thursday, great service ! First problem is that Jan has sent a silver Concerto, not the black that I ordered.... not sure if I like the silver better..First off the Amp. & phones where VERY cold on arrival, On the first listening they were definitly NOT GOOD, not even close to my Voyager & ATH- M50 setup, not to worry, long burn-in time I guess.... Does anyone have an idea of how long it will take to get this setup working at its maximum ? from what I have read it looks like it is somwhere between 100 & 300 hours....My 11 year old son was the first to listen to the Concerto & T1, he preffered the Voyager & ATH M-50 but noted how much more comfortable the T1 was... hope that he changes his mind in a few weeks regarding which sounds best.... as do  I

blink.gif

Mike & William

The T1 needs 200 hrs to sound its best. I have a Concerto coming that I purchased used hopefully will have it in about a week but I will give impressions but I bought it mostly to use on my LCD2 and I have foud the T1 best with tubes but then again I prefer tubes

Oct 21, 2010 at 8:52 PM Post #559 of 835

Quote:
Well My Concerto & T1 arrived earlier today, ordered Tuesday & arrived Thursday, great service ! First problem is that Jan has sent a silver Concerto, not the black that I ordered.... not sure if I like the silver better..First off the Amp. & phones where VERY cold on arrival, On the first listening they were definitly NOT GOOD, not even close to my Voyager & ATH- M50 setup, not to worry, long burn-in time I guess.... Does anyone have an idea of how long it will take to get this setup working at its maximum ? from what I have read it looks like it is somwhere between 100 & 300 hours....My 11 year old son was the first to listen to the Concerto & T1, he preffered the Voyager & ATH M-50 but noted how much more comfortable the T1 was... hope that he changes his mind in a few weeks regarding which sounds best.... as do  I

blink.gif

Mike & William

While burn in will definitely help both the Concerto and T1s, I would suggest that you don't use the overly bassy/warm M50s as your "neutral" source. These ATs, while incredible sub $120 closed headphones, they are far from balanced.

The T1s should sound slightly on the warm side of neutral (especially when compared to the DT880/K701/HD800s). I really enjoy my T1s with my Concerto! I suggest you also try the T1s on a good tube amp. I find its with tubes that the T1s really show how organic and lifelike that they can sound.

Congrats!
smile.gif

Oct 25, 2010 at 12:13 AM Post #560 of 835
Tested out my new concerto over the weekend. 

Using my K702, I'm rather impressed by how it helps my headphones in the lower frequencies. Though, the K702 also does quite well with the M-Stage, so it isn't really a big overall improvement. More testing, and especially comparison, is still needed.

I may try opening it up to enable the mid-gain setting. High is too much for the K702, and low doesn't seem like enough.

I ended up resolving the one-input problem by my new living situation placing my CD player and my (Xonar STX-equipped) desktop in the same room. So, basically CDs through the Concerto, and my itunes-only tracks through my PC. Now I just need to decide whether to keep the ND-S1 and DacMagic, or sell them.

...or take them to work with the M-Stage.
...I probably shouldn't. Even though music is allowed, the M-Stage by itself is rather conspicuous and likely pushing what they'll allow.

Oct 25, 2010 at 5:54 AM Post #561 of 835

Quote:
Tested out my new concerto over the weekend. 

Using my K702, I'm rather impressed by how it helps my headphones in the lower frequencies. Though, the K702 also does quite well with the M-Stage, so it isn't really a big overall improvement. More testing, and especially comparison, is still needed.

I may try opening it up to enable the mid-gain setting. High is too much for the K702, and low doesn't seem like enough.

I ended up resolving the one-input problem by my new living situation placing my CD player and my (Xonar STX-equipped) desktop in the same room. So, basically CDs through the Concerto, and my itunes-only tracks through my PC. Now I just need to decide whether to keep the ND-S1 and DacMagic, or sell them.

...or take them to work with the M-Stage.
...I probably shouldn't. Even though music is allowed, the M-Stage by itself is rather conspicuous and likely pushing what they'll allow.

low gain isn't enough? how high are you turning the volume? It is not bad to have the volume dial high... theoretically it is better as far as I understand. But if low at max isn't enough well, what options do you have :p

Oct 25, 2010 at 7:58 AM Post #562 of 835
Well my Concerto & T1s have between 70 & 80 hours of burn-in, and the sound has improved greatly, the mids have opened up and the bass has arrived.... looking forward to getting these babies performing like they should. I will probably order a StageDac just as sonn as Jan is back from his vacation.
Having now spent some time getting my home system in place, I will be looking to upgrade my portable rig next year, the idea is to buy the JH16Pro & JH-3A amp, along with an Algorythm solo along with some good interconnects to hook-up my iPod calssic...

Oct 25, 2010 at 11:16 AM Post #563 of 835
I have received my concerto last friday. First thing noticed was a wide soundstage and great instrument separation. Little thin in the mids but it is getting better as I have about 6 hours of playing time. Good to hear that the mids opens up before 100 hours. This is my first SS amp and is really great complement to a tube amp. It will be interesting how this will sound with DAC19, which might get to me nextweek or so.
One question.. can you change phones while the amp is on? I swap phones while Wa2 is on with decreased volume. But on Concerto manual, I am reading some possibility of fuse blow when the phone is not hooked deeply into the socket.

Oh, one more thing,,, is it normal for the volume LED to be lit & blank? Im guessing each volume step you are getting the LED lit, blank, lit, blank... so on.  Just want to make sure we are on same page.

Oct 25, 2010 at 11:28 AM Post #564 of 835

Quote:
One question.. can you change phones while the amp is on?

Oh, one more thing,,, is it normal for the volume LED to be lit & blank?

Yes to both questions.

Oct 28, 2010 at 1:18 AM Post #565 of 835
I wonder what the longest wait for a purchase from Jan Meier has been. I bought the Concerto and I'm on day 34 waiting for it to be delivered...

Oct 28, 2010 at 1:50 AM Post #566 of 835
The concerto has become a FOTM helped in part by the LCD-2 so its not surprising that there is a longer wait time. 

Quote:
I wonder what the longest wait for a purchase from Jan Meier has been. I bought the Concerto and I'm on day 34 waiting for it to be delivered...

Oct 28, 2010 at 1:51 AM Post #567 of 835

Quote:

Call Jan  
etysmile.gif

Oct 28, 2010 at 2:19 AM Post #568 of 835
Quote:
The concerto has become a FOTM helped in part by the LCD-2 so its not surprising that there is a longer wait time.

Well, it was shipped immediately, just not delivered to my house yet.

Oct 28, 2010 at 2:54 AM Post #569 of 835

Quote:
Well, it was shipped immediately, just not delivered to my house yet.

Wow.. I feel sorry for you. mine took less than a week to Korea. you should definitely call Jan.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back