REVIEW: Meier Audio Concerto headphone amp
Apr 26, 2010 at 2:44 PM Post #241 of 835
It is said Patience is the mother of all virtues.
smile_phones.gif

Apr 26, 2010 at 4:44 PM Post #242 of 835
LOL, that is easy to say when your not the one waiting for something!

Quote:

Originally Posted by zenpunk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It is said Patience is the mother of all virtues.
smile_phones.gif

Apr 26, 2010 at 9:02 PM Post #243 of 835
You might know it but air travel in Europe has been very badly affected by the Icelandic volcano with most airports closed for a week. Passengers are still stranded in different places so freight could be badly delayed.
And Patience IS the mother of all virtues, even when waiting for headphone amp.
biggrin.gif

Apr 27, 2010 at 2:03 AM Post #244 of 835
Jan has told me they made it out of the country before the volcano effected the airlines and all that. I have no reason not to believe him, but I do hope that is the case!

Apr 27, 2010 at 8:31 PM Post #246 of 835
I don't know very much about electricity but I found that the tehcnical details of Concerto says "110V and 220V mains power switchable" does this mean that I can't use it here in Finland where voltage is 230V?

Apr 27, 2010 at 8:45 PM Post #247 of 835
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ihcog /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't know very much about electricity but I found that the tehcnical details of Concerto says "110V and 220V mains power switchable" does this mean that I can't use it here in Finland where voltage is 230V?

Yes.
Voltage has been set to 230v as per jan 1 2009 for all EU countries, but "220" is still a familiar way to refer to "electricity" for most of us (at least in the Netherlands). So, if it didn't work on 230v, it wouldn't work in any EU country....

Apr 27, 2010 at 10:18 PM Post #249 of 835
Quote:

Originally Posted by arielext /img/forum/go_quote.gif
completely OT but @skylab how can you listen to the impact of a bass with such blissfull singing on the sirenia track
wink.gif

I love complex music
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Apr 28, 2010 at 2:16 AM Post #250 of 835
Has anyone else received their Concerto yet? Hopefully more owners start receiving theirs so there can be more reviews!
smily_headphones1.gif

Skylab, you mentioned that if the intended use was SE, that the concerto was better than the Phoenix. From your experience, do you see the jump to balanced worth the extra costs? Such as headphones cables etc..

Apr 28, 2010 at 8:29 AM Post #251 of 835
Quote:

Originally Posted by ak622 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Has anyone else received their Concerto yet? Hopefully more owners start receiving theirs so there can be more reviews!
smily_headphones1.gif

Skylab, you mentioned that if the intended use was SE, that the concerto was better than the Phoenix. From your experience, do you see the jump to balanced worth the extra costs? Such as headphones cables etc..

In Concerto is implemented active balanced headphone ground technology "When a signal is applied by the CONCERTO, current passes the signal output stage, the driver, and the ground output stage. Both positive and negative powersupply lines are "loaded" simultaneously. No driving currents pass through the internal ground plane. There is no pollution of the internal referfence."

Apr 28, 2010 at 8:44 AM Post #252 of 835
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Detail retrieval was terrific. The sound of the guitar strings on the acoustic version of "Normal" from Porcupine Tree's "We Lost the Skyline" was very, very detailed, and in a natural, unforced way. I was really drawn into this performance by the Concerto - T1 combo - highly involving.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Beyerdynamic T1 was a tougher call. I liked it equally well though both, although the difference between the amps was most apparent with the T1. But the T1 sounded great with both. The 600 ohm T1’s did require the use of the Concerto’s high-gain mode, but it then drove them to very loud levels easily. Undeniably, the T1 used with the Concerto was wicked good, and shows that the Concerto can power the big boys and sound great. I would unhesitatingly recommend the T1 for use with the Concerto. I am enjoying that very combination as I write this.

Would you go as far as to say that there is synergy in the T1+Concerto combo compared to other amplifiers you have heard for the T1?

Apr 28, 2010 at 11:03 AM Post #253 of 835
I have just joined the queue of people waiting for a Concerto
biggrin.gif
. After a month a hesitation between the Concerto, the new Solo (secretly hoping this Linear thingy turn out to be a big disappointment
evil_smiley.gif
) and the C2 I have just pressed the buy button.
Now the wait start, but I promised myself to be patient, hoping it will get here by the end of the week.
wink_face.gif

Apr 28, 2010 at 11:46 AM Post #254 of 835
Quote:

Originally Posted by asmagus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
In Concerto is implemented active balanced headphone ground technology "When a signal is applied by the CONCERTO, current passes the signal output stage, the driver, and the ground output stage. Both positive and negative powersupply lines are "loaded" simultaneously. No driving currents pass through the internal ground plane. There is no pollution of the internal referfence."

So how does that actually compare against going balanced source in and balanced out through the headphones in the Phoenix scenario? In the Concerto or Meier's previous amps, does this bring about the benefits of balanced such as the Phoenix?

Apr 28, 2010 at 12:32 PM Post #255 of 835
Quote:

Originally Posted by ak622 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Personally - no. From a purely sonic perspective, and using the HE-5 to compare the Concerto unbalanced to the Phoenix balanced, while the Phoenix in balanced sounded a little better, I don't think the added cost of the $300 cable is worth it. The Phoenix of course has a lot more features than the Concerto. If you don't need those features, then the Concerto unbalanced is the better sound per dollar value, IMO.

Quote:

Originally Posted by rasmushorn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Would you go as far as to say that there is synergy in the T1+Concerto combo compared to other amplifiers you have heard for the T1?

Is there Synergy? Absolutely. Versus other amplifiers I have? Depends on which. I have some pretty nice other amps
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back