REVIEW: Lisa III prototype - new portable amp by Phil Larocco
May 16, 2007 at 10:53 AM Post #31 of 90
chris_ah1;2957533 said:
gotta say that's looking a lot like it could be a four channel system
tongue.gif

QUOTE]

Please bear with my ignorance. What is a four channel system or a 3 channel system as mentioned by Skylab? I thought that audio has only 2 channels: L and R. What are the usages of the 3rd and 4th channels?

May 16, 2007 at 12:04 PM Post #32 of 90
Well if a woody is actually in the cards for the production units, Remitrom, sign me up for THAT!
smily_headphones1.gif

May 16, 2007 at 12:08 PM Post #33 of 90
GreenLeo;2959761 said:
Quote:

Originally Posted by chris_ah1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
gotta say that's looking a lot like it could be a four channel system
tongue.gif

QUOTE]

Please bear with my ignorance. What is a four channel system or a 3 channel system as mentioned by Skylab? I thought that audio has only 2 channels: L and R. What are the usages of the 3rd and 4th channels?

there are only 3 channels for traditional single ended setup with active ground.

4 channel usually means it's balanced because it amplifies the inverted and non inverted signal (differential output).

May 16, 2007 at 1:29 PM Post #34 of 90
OK, I have added some additional comments, and have essentially completed my review. This is going to be a great amp. I hope it isn't TOO expensive, as I think a lot of people would enjoy it.

May 16, 2007 at 3:27 PM Post #36 of 90
Dammit. My only Gripe with the PRII was that the headphone jack(s) are on the back...What???? Why can't people put them on the front!!!! it makes carrying it around so damn awkward (on it's side).

May 16, 2007 at 9:11 PM Post #37 of 90
hey skylab, how does this compare to a PPA2 with bass adjust? (does the PPA2 also give a wide range of bass adjustment?)

but omggggg, i want this too! any estimates on how much it will cost?

May 16, 2007 at 9:19 PM Post #38 of 90
I'm sorry, I don't know on either front
frown.gif

May 16, 2007 at 10:01 PM Post #39 of 90
Great review Skylab.

So did you test this with 600 ohms and did it have the desired punch? Did you specifically get to try your DT880/600s? You said it's a bit warm which sounds promising!

May 16, 2007 at 10:33 PM Post #40 of 90
It performed well with the DT880/600's - very well.

May 16, 2007 at 10:35 PM Post #41 of 90
Nice write-up Skylab! Sounds like a promising amp indeed... I'll have to pick one up... I'm always looking for more bass
basshead.gif
eggosmile.gif
I hope Phil does produce a version that uses Li-Ion battery and a gain switch... that would really add value IMO, especially given the direction portable and transportable amps are moving.

Any idea if one could roll some AD797's in there? Have you compared it to the new TTVJ Millet Hybrid yet? Despite the background noise issue I had with that amp its sound was pretty damn impressive IMO.

May 16, 2007 at 10:39 PM Post #42 of 90
I believe the commercial version will feature a charging circuit. Not sure about op-amp rolling, nor have I had the chance to listen to the portable millet hybrid
frown.gif

May 17, 2007 at 1:01 AM Post #43 of 90
Quote:

Originally Posted by Loftprojection /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm also VERY happy that it's not designed to be a small portable. I love the fact that he has RCA input and 1/8 plug. There are plenty of small portable amps out there but there are not many "transportable battery" amps. There is nothing more fun then being able to go from one room to the other in the house without wire headaches, or in summer, go in the garden sit on a chair and listen to music out of you imod into a battery amp. No messing around with long AC extension.
biggrin.gif

I think this amp might be a genious design if sound quality is there to match or better the very few others in its niche (RSA XP-7, Rudi NKK01, HeadRoom Micro,...).

But he will have two versions. If that is so then one can be a transportable and the other a portable. That is what I was alluding to.

May 17, 2007 at 1:53 AM Post #44 of 90
Quote:

Originally Posted by wakeride74 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nice write-up Skylab! Sounds like a promising amp indeed... I'll have to pick one up... I'm always looking for more bass
basshead.gif
eggosmile.gif
I hope Phil does produce a version that uses Li-Ion battery and a gain switch... that would really add value IMO, especially given the direction portable and transportable amps are moving.

Any idea if one could roll some AD797's in there? Have you compared it to the new TTVJ Millet Hybrid yet? Despite the background noise issue I had with that amp its sound was pretty damn impressive IMO.

I thought the Millet was a letdown...good amp, but I just don't think it was my cup of tea, and I LOVE tubes of all variety. The only thing I liked about it was the WIDE soundstage.

Hmm...if this thing is that much better than the PRII...same sound, attack, and bass characteristics...it's a sure bet. But I also said that about the TTVJ. So I'll have to have a listen.

Excited.

May 17, 2007 at 3:47 AM Post #45 of 90
Quote:

Originally Posted by wakeride74 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

iirc phil said that the circuit was designed especially for this opamp, as he's not using a traditional pinout, but is bypassing the internal buffer by using the comp output

so swapping opamps isn't a matter of dropping a new one in, you'd need to re-wire the opamp pins

Users who are viewing this thread

Back