REVIEW: Lisa III prototype - new portable amp by Phil Larocco
May 15, 2007 at 4:16 PM Post #16 of 90
gotta say that's looking a lot like it could be a four channel system
tongue.gif

Larocco usually put gain switches on right between medium and high? I would've thought E500 should be able to avoid hiss.

May 15, 2007 at 7:13 PM Post #17 of 90
I will have to try the E500's later. I will do so and report back.

The Lisa III is actually a 3-channel amp, according to Phil. My proto at least does not have a gain switch that I know of.

May 15, 2007 at 10:14 PM Post #18 of 90
I hope they provide enough boards for the early adopters. I think it's fantastic that they're telling you how to build them AND provided the resources to do so on an item that's going up for sale in the public marketplace.

Looks like a great summertime project the board layout is so very clean, everything looks board mounted!

Hopefully I'm paying attention when this goes down.

May 15, 2007 at 11:30 PM Post #19 of 90
You know if instead of:

- A 1/4" headphone he installed a 1/8" headphone jack,
- Removed the RCA's,
- Used a Li-Ion battery pack

Then the unit would be smaller and more likely to be carried as such. Since he is planning on a couple of models this could be achieved.

May 15, 2007 at 11:49 PM Post #20 of 90
Thanks for your fine work on this Skylab. She looks like a winner.

As mrarroyo mentions, it sure would be nice to have options..especially a rechargeable Li-Ion battery. I like the RCA though, I've gotten spoiled having this with my new amp even though it does add an extra 1/4" to the length.

Is there a price for this?

May 16, 2007 at 12:09 AM Post #21 of 90
No price that I know of yet, nor a delivery date ETA yet.

May 16, 2007 at 12:09 AM Post #22 of 90
Quote:

Originally Posted by GreatDane /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for your fine work on this Skylab. She looks like a winner.

As mrarroyo mentions, it sure would be nice to have options..especially a rechargeable Li-Ion battery. I like the RCA though, I've gotten spoiled having this with my new amp even though it does add an extra 1/4" to the length.

Is there a price for this?

1/4" on the outside, however the RCA also extends about 1/2" or so inside the amp for a total of 3/4" to 1".

May 16, 2007 at 12:17 AM Post #24 of 90
I'm also VERY happy that it's not designed to be a small portable. I love the fact that he has RCA input and 1/8 plug. There are plenty of small portable amps out there but there are not many "transportable battery" amps. There is nothing more fun then being able to go from one room to the other in the house without wire headaches, or in summer, go in the garden sit on a chair and listen to music out of you imod into a battery amp. No messing around with long AC extension.
biggrin.gif

I think this amp might be a genious design if sound quality is there to match or better the very few others in its niche (RSA XP-7, Rudi NKK01, HeadRoom Micro,...).

May 16, 2007 at 3:29 AM Post #26 of 90
I was talking with Phil a while back about this amp, while it was in the beginning, and this amp is not in the league of portable amps at all, it will fall better in the league of the home based amps, or at least bigger transportable amps.
It is a three channel amp, runs in two 9V batteries (18 volts), has a triad discrete dynamically biased diamond buffer, etc....so please do not try to compare it with portable amps, whith more humble topologies, power requirements and targeted for a different use....Xin amps, TMK, etc...while very good amps, are just very small enjoyable portable amps, which target market is different, and they run at very low voltages, so I do not think it is fair comparison neither to compare an amp that runs at 3V, 6V to one that runs at 18 volts, which give you more margin for refinement and to work on a more solid toplogy...

May 16, 2007 at 3:41 AM Post #27 of 90
Excellent news. From the talks around DIY, the LISAIII is predicted to have certain similarities to the audio resolution of the PPA2. I have complete faith in the sound quality of this amp and the effort PPL gave in designing the schematics. A true piece of art evolving from the PPAs, Pint and LISA series. Another good thing too is that its a DIY project that anybody can try so they can save hard earned cash without skimping on audio resolution. The layout is open for public in all its honest goodness and its a warrior in sound quality. As for having the amp made by Phil, we have seen the quality of the amps from LaRocco so I have no doubt a LISA3 made by Phil would surely oooze with the same quality (or even better) without the same problems in ordering. Thanks, Skylab for this review and announcement.

May 16, 2007 at 6:35 AM Post #28 of 90
cool stuff

May 16, 2007 at 8:45 AM Post #29 of 90
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No price that I know of yet, nor a delivery date ETA yet.

Yep, And no crystal ball either, Phil & I will let you know as things develop.
We are working on the details daily, not ready to give numbers. WOW, it was only at the 07 Headfest that I realized how good LISA really is, and what a niche, I brought the 2 prototype LISA's . I thought they sounded better than most amps there, and runs on batteries! But I am biased, I helped build them.
Still.. thats when the decision was made to produce & market Lisa III's
for the world. Oh Ya. Phil's motivation is to share his design goodness with the world. his motivation is Pure. He enjoys what he does & thats why I'm involved. To allow him to reach his goals. I'm having fun too. its exciting,stressing at times, but never dull. So "Make you own world" thats my motto
What do you want? A WOODY? You got it. (follow my earlier posts) Post a pic of the other side Skylab, its reversable.(please) And thanks for the good words Skylab. We will have to rethink production numbers now.
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back