REVIEW: Koss KTXPRO1....an awesome portable headphone!
Mar 16, 2017 at 3:56 PM Post #61 of 92
(I really don't want to get into this because I can see an argument coming.)

However what you said is right in a sense. Subjective makes the difference for folks too.

However I see it from one perspective which is, I like a flat response. I want to hear only what the engineer recorded.  Or what the classical concert sounded like.

I don't want bright trebles, even though I have some Grado. I don't want exaggerated bass either. Flat response is the fundamental characteristic for me. Then sound quality the next factor.

I mean I see so many folk saying they like a frequency response which is maybe not flat. Yet every amplifier I have owned I never put any extra bass or treble on. I leave it flat and then just use the hi-fi. Having said that I always try altering bass and treble, but I always end up thinking, "Uh no". (Funnily people argue the opposite about flat response with me. Then hear a flat response Chord DAC and love it. Aside form it's obvious qualities.)

Any quality flat response headphone would sound-wise leave the KTXPRO1 in the dust. No matter what it still sounds like a £20 headphones to me. Basically because it warbled, meaning it could not respond quick enough and ended up sounding slightly garbled. (This is one area where the AKG Y50 are ahead of the KTXPRO1. They simply sound together and solid.)

I won't deny though overall the KTXPRO1 sounds like a nice £20 headphone. I would have kept mine but for two reasons. One they had some intermittent (grattle) distortion on them. Secondly they were not that comfortable because the ear-cups did not sit flat. Add to that, they leaked more sound than I would consider acceptable on public transport. (Meaning for someone sat next to me.) All in all I was glad they were faulty so I could return them with no hassle.

However the hard thing is finding the quality expensive flat response headphone. This is the problem. No-one makes that range of headphones from say £150 to £1500 of reference quality headphones. (Not like the amazing range of Chord DACs anyway. I mean they don't add bass or treble. They just present the music.) If there was a manufacturer who made a good range of reference headphones, we'd all be talking about them.

Anyway Whatever I think this pair of headphones has had enough of my time. More than enough said.

I did however find a pair of flatter-response headphones while rustling through AKG graphs:
AKG K 520. They have a couple of dips in response but nothing major.

http://reference-audio-analyzer.pro/en/report/hp/akg-k-520.php

Hard to find now though, plus they have a weak headband. I think they would be dam fine walkabout phones though otherwise.

Mar 16, 2017 at 4:08 PM Post #62 of 92
However I see it from one perspective which is, I like a flat response. I want to hear only what the engineer recorded.  Or what the classical concert sounded like.  
I don't want bright trebles, even though I have some Grado. I don't want exaggerated bass either. Flat response is the fundamental characteristic for me. Then sound quality the next factor.

Any quality flat response headphone would sound-wise leave the KTXPRO1 in the dust. No matter what it still sounds like a £20 headphones to me. Basically because it warbled, meaning it could not respond quick enough and ended up sounding slightly garbled. (This is one area where the AKG Y50 are ahead of the KTXPRO1. They simply sound together and solid.)

By far the most neutral headphone I've heard is the STAX SR-207. Plus it's the only headphone I've heard (since I haven't heard higher-end STAX) that sounded a lot like real instruments to me.

Here are some measurements, but bear in mind that measurements lie.
http://cdn.head-fi.org/6/6d/6de6f4f3_STAX_SR-207_EP-507_SB2217.png
http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/StaxSR207EP507LeatherPadsSerNumSB22217.pdf
http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/StaxSR207SB2217.pdf

To hear all the peaks and dips of a headphone, you can play this frequency sweep in a video player.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/pyi1gug2s2jumzq/sweep.mp4?dl=0

The KTX is certainly not as neutral, but it's close enough that I enjoy it with all music and don't feel the urge to equalize it. In fact, to my ears, its overall tonal balance is a lot truer to life than the HD 800 in stock form, as well as countless others.

But tonal balance isn't really a factor after you learn how to use a parametric equalizer. A few minutes of EQ and you can fix any major issues; a few hours and you can make it more neutral than any headphone in stock form if you do things right.

I'm not quite sure what you mean by not being able to respond quickly enough. All the KTX pairs I've had sound very fast and impactful when such things are in the recording.

I'd say the KTX gets 90% of the way there to any headphone at any price. (All the refinements of better headphones only account for a small fraction of the sound beyond what the KTX can do.)

Mar 26, 2017 at 8:34 PM Post #64 of 92
  (I really don't want to get into this because I can see an argument coming.)

However what you said is right in a sense. Subjective makes the difference for folks too.

I mean I see so many folk saying they like a frequency response which is maybe not flat. Yet every amplifier I have owned I never put any extra bass or treble on. I leave it flat and then just use the hi-fi. Having said that I always try altering bass and treble, but I always end up thinking, "Uh no". (Funnily people argue the opposite about flat response with me. Then hear a flat response Chord DAC and love it. Aside form it's obvious qualities.)

I won't deny though overall the KTXPRO1 sounds like a nice £20 headphone. I would have kept mine but for two reasons. One they had some intermittent (grattle) distortion on them. Secondly they were not that comfortable because the ear-cups did not sit flat. Add to that, they leaked more sound than I would consider acceptable on public transport. (Meaning for someone sat next to me.) All in all I was glad they were faulty so I could return them with no hassle.

However the hard thing is finding the quality expensive flat response headphone. This is the problem. No-one makes that range of headphones from say £150 to £1500 of reference quality headphones. (Not like the amazing range of Chord DACs anyway. I mean they don't add bass or treble. They just present the music.) If there was a manufacturer who made a good range of reference headphones, we'd all be talking about them.

Anyway Whatever I think this pair of headphones has had enough of my time. More than enough said.

I did however find a pair of flatter-response headphones while rustling through AKG graphs:
AKG K 520. They have a couple of dips in response but nothing major.

http://reference-audio-analyzer.pro/en/report/hp/akg-k-520.php

Hard to find now though, plus they have a weak headband. I think they would be dam fine walkabout phones though otherwise.

There is always the issue of do you want headphones that have flat response or headphones that sound flat to your ears? Most headphones try to correct for the response of average ears but everyone hears things differently. I do believe AKG got it right with the semi-open ear pads. I haven't heard these but I would bet they don't thump when you walk with them.

Oct 3, 2017 at 2:28 PM Post #65 of 92
Figured I'd post this here as well...

Interesting little discovery as the Koss 60ohm driver is still loved...https://www.koss.com/headphones/on-ear-headphones/kph30i
kph30ib_master.jpg

Plug in the KPH30i using the all-new, rugged cable system with spring reinforced strain relief that is built to last.
kph30ik_s3.jpg

"The Koss KPH30i is a direct descendant of the Koss Pro35 and popular Koss KTXPro1. With all-new modern features like an in-line microphone and remote, the KPH30i keeps listeners connected all while enjoying their favorite tunes.

The lightweight on-ear headphones feature an open-air design with smooth bass and clean treble. The 60-ohm elements are perfectly tuned for use on the go with most mobile hardware content players.

With an all-new patent pending suspension, the KPH30i creates the absolute perfect fit for hours of comfortable listening enjoyment."

Specifications
sc_frequencyresponse.svg
15-25,000 Hz
sc_impedance.svg
60 Ohms
sc_sensitivity.svg
101 dB SPL
sc_cord.svg
4 foot
sc_warranty.svg
Limited Lifetime Warranty

Price: $29.99 ($25.49 with the usual 15% off code that can be found if one searches)
Available in Black or White

Oct 12, 2017 at 1:32 PM Post #66 of 92
Here is said successor...
upload_2017-10-12_13-32-23.png

upload_2017-10-12_13-32-43.png

Oct 12, 2017 at 1:54 PM Post #67 of 92
Looking forward to hearing your impressions.

Oct 13, 2017 at 4:01 PM Post #68 of 92
Okay, been using them the last two days out and about. Don't have the other variants anymore to compare side to side but safe to say it is the 60ohm driver with little change. Very familiar sound and at the right level(compared to V-jays). May be a smidge different in the new housing but still nice and forgiving with a warm low end and forgiving treble. Sweet sound as usual and just the right tuning for outdoors. A bit of thickness that doesn't sound as clean as the V-jays II does but outside just the right amount melts away or gets cancelled out with the external noise. Still seems to scale nicely just as before.

More change from the predecessors is in the looks(nicer to me) and form. I think the design is well thought out and mostly well executed.

- "D" shaped pads are better. Easier to see L/R with that shape over a 60Ohm driver on a parts express headband. The pads are bigger and comfy and fill the ear better with the size and shape over being smaller and round. Seems better against wind noise than a KSC or PortaPro.

- Build is good as the plastics are sturdy and the cable is beefed up at least below the Y. Tied(with V-jays) for the thickest cable I have seen on an ultra-portable. The UR55 had a thicker one but that is quite a bit bigger headphone. Spring plug relief and strains coming out from the cups are nice. Y is stiff and thick but no reliefs on the thinner side after it. After the Y is quite thin esp. compared to below it. Just smaller than 3mm below and only 1mm each side coming out of the Y. I see the idea as after the Y it is lighter and less obtrusive but it remains to be seen how durable and it likes to braid itself because of the lower parts thicker rubber sheathing. Thicker part seems to be relaxing and probably needs a week or more to do so. Seems the relaxing will lessen the braiding or spinning up above the Y.

- We have a mic/remote now which some have wanted. One button and seems sturdy but have not tested yet.

- Dual headband is nice. The rubber sculpts to your shape and stay on better and you can tighten it too stretch out and fit more firmly for active stuff by clicking a notch or two in more. Opening and closing the band for larger and smaller is a clickable deal and locks in but the right side of my pair moves too easy while the left stays on my correct setting. Just doesn't click as firmly to lock in on the one side. It does lock itself when closed or open all the way.

- Fit is damn near perfect. The angle of the D is correct and the flexibility of the rubber inner band and the greater surface area of the bigger pads, which are 2.5" x 2", is excellent for fit. The drivers don't move much as the suspension is stiff but they do. So not ball and socket pivot but a quiet slight auto adjustment. The suspension is just two sets of outward tapering plastic "fingers" that press against each other so there is stiffness but some give.

Very little advancement in this segment so not a revolution with what sounds and seems to perform like the same old driver but a much better design. Just perhaps a more beefy click mechanism for size adjustment and a slightly thicker sheathing after the Y would have been perfect. Still it is a sweet little headphone that fills in a niche for me when I want something open, small, won't tangle like buds and stays put better and agrees with most sources and environments. Got along with them right away with the great fit, comfort, and familiar sound and knew they were a keeper.

https://www.innerfidelity.com/content/canjam-rmaf2017-koss-kph30i-ear-open-headphones
Tiny sound impression only about them being just like a Portapro sound with a bit less treble. I would say perhaps denser pads is the difference :)

Quick comparisons...
KPH30i vs. the jays V-jays II. V-jays II has less bass than version 1 and less than I would like when outside. The do sound more spaced out and higher clarity than the Koss. I like the KPH better as they have more bass impact and more weight across the spectrum. More fun and about as big though filled in more so the jays only have more space inside a similar size stage to the outside dimensions. Comfort goes to the Koss as well as looks and finding the sweet spot due to the bigger pad size. A bit more clarity and detail and they fold up but the V-jays are not my choice.

KPH30i vs. Vido buds. These two have the same signature. If you like the Vido you'll like the KPH. The Koss has more bass reach and impact than the Vido with the thick foams. Perhaps a bit more detail and cleaner being 60ohm and tightening things slightly over the Vido.

Last edited:
Oct 15, 2017 at 1:07 PM Post #69 of 92
Forgot to mention that the inner rubber section of the headband seems easily removed. So, I did...
upload_2017-10-15_13-5-50.png

Indeed you can go simple and have the lightest weight and lowest profile on top of the head if you choose :)

Oct 26, 2017 at 4:43 PM Post #70 of 92
For $22, I ordered the KPH30i off Massdrop. Not a huge fan of the beige and much prefer the pictures I'm seeing here, but why not go for something different than usual for once?

Oct 26, 2017 at 5:22 PM Post #71 of 92
Almost jealous :) Beige isn't quite as nice as I thought though. Maybe those pics are to blame. Would have looked better a bit darker/warmer shade and with black on the sides instead of the red and blue. D shape is the easiest identifier so you don't need color on the sides. Just flat to the front is all. They are different though.

They need to do gloss black. My pair is "black" but the black is obviously a graphite like gray.

Oct 26, 2017 at 5:27 PM Post #72 of 92
Shouldn't be much of a difference in delivery time for the KPH30i or the Massdrop version of the Porta Pro. I'm looking forward to both arriving.

Oct 26, 2017 at 7:47 PM Post #73 of 92
I'm thinking of pulling the trigger on the Massdrop KPH30i as well. After a couple years with KSC75 on Parts Express headband, I'm looking for a bit more bass (assuming these use the PortaPro driver vs the titanium coated KSC75 driver) and maybe a bit more comfort compared to the PortaPro headband. Either way, seems great especially for $20 bucks on Massdrop.

Nov 26, 2017 at 9:04 PM Post #74 of 92
If they released a version with the KSC-75 drivers I'd buy them too. To my ears the KSC-75's sound more balanced and flat. These do sound very similar to the PortaPro but with less sparkle.
15117480644242067550111.jpg
I kinda like the beige. Reminds me of computers from the early 90's.

Nov 26, 2017 at 9:29 PM Post #75 of 92
Remarkably comfortable too. You can use it all day and not notice, which doesn't always happen with on ear. Out of the box they sounded clear where the MD Porta Pro X sounded a little veiled with vocals.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back