REVIEW: Koss KTXPRO1....an awesome portable headphone!
Dec 19, 2008 at 10:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 92

Zombie_X

Headphoneus Supremus
***NOTE: These are my own honest opinions and I try to keep them as unbiased as possible, so please don't flame me.***

WHO AND WHAT IS KOSS? :

Koss is a known manufacturer of "studio" headphones here in my home town of Milwaukee. They have been arund for 40+ years and mainly make headphones. Though overall most of their cans have mixed SQ which varies from great to horrendous. Some of their cans are pretty well known and are supposedly used by many studio applications. Though I can't see why as the vast majority of them are even analytical sounding.

I have been to the Koss HQ a few times and it only a 10 minute walk from where I live, so I'm always checking out their newer designs. So far they have been pretty mixed...

ME AND KOSS :

I have mad tons of koss cans over the past 6-7 years and most if not all have dissapointed me. There have been only a few exceptions (PortaPro) that actually sounded good, but the rest all sounded really sub-par for a "renowned headphone manufacturer". Now I'm not bashing Koss, it's just I feel they put all their money into advertising rather than R&D. Don't go by frequency responce with their cans, that stuff means nothing if the can doesn't sound good. I know the PRO4AAT sounds horrible. The PRO4AA sound incredibly thin, lean mids, and hissy with no bass at all. Almost like listening to a bad AM radio transmission. Now the PRO3AA isn't actually that bad sounding at all, but it's overly bright/simblant with very recessed mids with a tad of boomy bass. Kinda think that the PRO4AAt's would actually sound better, but it's all hype with no meat. So you can see why I had very little hope for the KTXPRO1 when I bought it, but oh was I wrong! This little $19.99 portable headphone is in the "great" category and is great bang for the buck.

WHAT IS THE KTXPRO1? :

The Koss KTXPRO1 is actually a small supra-aural portable headphone with an in-line volume control. Like I stated above, due to my past experince with Koss, I have had little to no hope left for these guys. But a few years back when I was attending a local "loading dock sale", I found a little set of cans that I haven't yet listened to, but at the low price of $15.99 what was there to loose? So I bought them and came home. I immeditaly skipped the FR chart on the back as you can not get how a headphone sounds just by the chrt alone (their response is 15-25000 Hz). So Ipoped them and plugged them into my CD Player. WOW! They sound great for $19.99 MSRP! Below is my exact impressions of the cans after around 700+ hours of play time.

- Treble: Treble in these cans is actually really clean and smooth with no shrillness at all. Though there a little bit of simblance in there. Most headphones in this price range have very bad reputations for attrocious SQ, but this one is a pleasent supprise. It was a little brighter than most, but not shrill or overdone. These are nowhere near Grado bright, more like the Sennheiser sound, just a tad mellowed out. The higher frequencies sound nice and from what I can hear, there is no treble roll-off. Quite nice indeed!

- Mids : Whoah! The mids in this can are present, though not as strong as the Sennheiser's. I would highly reccommend these for rock/metal/alternative/punk music. The mids are full though maybe a tad bit raw souding in spots. Mids make the vocals sound smooth and natural without bloating the sound. This stuff you need to look for in a can of any type. I would say this headphone would also be suited to classical as well.

- Bass : For a small headphone as this, it sure can muster up some nice bass. The bass has a decent ammount of extension and punch but seemed to be rolled-off. Bass in the lower mids was also verry good and added an extra layer to the can. And when I mean roll-off, I mean that lower notes seem to just fade out rather than fully extend. And as such these would not be suited for rap though as they lack the nessecary extension and punch that rap requires..

- Neutrality : These seem to be a tad slightly forward and warm, but ever so slightly. Not entirely bad though as I tend to like a warmer sound.

- Transparency/Clarity : Transparency of these is about average at best. At least you can hear more music than a bloated sound. These have prety good clarity as well and can be used for very light analytical listening, but absolutely nowhere close to the HD600/DT880 in terms of analytical listening. But it's kind of pointless in a can this size as most commercial users won't be doing any sort of critical lstening while jogging. Though the added clarity is a nice tough here.

- Soundstage : This part of the can is actually almost nothing. Ocasionally you can tell where people are, but mostly it's Left/Middel/Right. To me, the SS isn't really all that important unless your going to do analytical listening.

- Comfort : These tend to fall into the Grado comfort category. Since they are supra-aural, they rest on the ear and can cause ear fatigue/pain. The headband is rather iffy too. It's just a rubber strap that rests upon your head.

+ After a few years of use, the volume control on mine become very wonky and doesn't properly function. Guess it's time to either cut the control out or go back to Koss with it and get a replacement.

CONCLUSION:

In the end I would highly reccomend these as a portable can. They have excellent SQ for the price and Koss has a lifetime warranty on these. So for only $20 bucks you get a great protable with great sound. If your okay with a little discomfort then go for them!

zombie_x-albums-my-cans-picture741-koss-ktxpro1.jpg

KTXPRO1_1.jpg

Dec 19, 2008 at 11:07 PM Post #2 of 92
Here's a tip for an easy way to increase SQ. When putting the headphones on,don't let them fully cover up the opening to your ear. If you leave each side a little open a little bit, you will have for more treble/clarity. What I mean is that leave them open towards the front of the can so part of your ear canal is still exposed, rather than covered up.

Dec 20, 2008 at 12:44 AM Post #5 of 92
I have pictures of them in my Photo gallery in my profile page.

Hoss, It's very similar to the PortaPro, but the PortaPro is still better in SQ. As for the SR-60's, it has a different sound signature than them, but comparable to a certain degree. However it has been a long time since I heard the SR-60's. IMHO the KTXPRO1 has more bass than the 60's.
The SR-60's have better MR and Treble, but sound quality is close.

EDIT: Fixed many a typo in my review, sorry but I didn't proof read it before hand.

Dec 20, 2008 at 4:32 AM Post #6 of 92
I agree these are good for the money. I picked a pair up for $9.99 at Radio Shack last weekend. They have the same 60 Ohm drivers as the KSC75.

Dec 21, 2008 at 6:37 AM Post #7 of 92
Quote:

Originally Posted by gtp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I agree these are good for the money. I picked a pair up for $9.99 at Radio Shack last weekend. They have the same 60 Ohm drivers as the KSC75.

Got mine tonite for $9.99 as well. I am in the process of burning them in right now. However, even when right out of the blister-pak, they sound more than OK.

Dec 21, 2008 at 4:01 PM Post #8 of 92
Quote:

Originally Posted by soundboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Got mine tonite for $9.99 as well. I am in the process of burning them in right now. However, even when right out of the blister-pak, they sound more than OK.

For $10, how can you go wrong? They are a more balanced PortaPro in a more modern (though somewhat cheap) looking shell. I wouldn't buy them at $40, but at $10 I'm thinking of buying more for friends and family.

Dec 21, 2008 at 6:38 PM Post #10 of 92
The KTX-Pro1 has a sound signature very similar to the PortaPro because they use the same drivers as the Koss KSC-75 which is the same driver as the PortaPro except for with an additional titanium coating on the diaphram.

The PortaPro, SportaPro, UR40, KSC-75, KSC-35, KSC-55, Pro35A, Pro35T, KTX-Pro1, and a handful of others I can't remember off the top of my head all have the same family of drivers. Some of them like the KSC-75 have the newer titanium coated driver which provides a higher emphasis on treble, and some have the older driver without the titanium coating which provides a darker bass (like the PortaPro). Almost all of them sound different because of different combinations of drivers and enclosures and a lot of them, like the KTX-Pro1 can be found very cheap.

Dec 21, 2008 at 11:22 PM Post #11 of 92
These are well worth the money. For only $20, you get a PortaPro like headphone with excellent sound. I think this little headphones beats out many of the other cans in this price range.

Dec 31, 2008 at 1:41 AM Post #12 of 92
I bought these because they use the same drivers as the ksc75 which I love, but find uncomfortable. They are really good. For the price you can't go wrong. It's amazing that koss can make such good cheap phones but their big phones leave a lot to be desired. I actually prefer these over the px100.

My phones are a little different than the ones pictured. They have a straight gold plated connector, and came with a 1/4" gold plated adaptor.

Feb 1, 2009 at 2:07 AM Post #13 of 92
I got these when they were on sale at Radio Shack too. Other than the feel of the headband I cannot in any differentiate the sound from my Porta Pros. To me they sound exactly the same and I would not be able to tell them apart if I couldn't see them.

Feb 2, 2009 at 5:00 AM Post #14 of 92
KTXPro uses flat back titanium drivers, the same as in a KSC55 (the 55 uses a neck band).

KSC75 driver is titanium coated too, but with round-back housing. They don't sound the same as the 55's, the 75 has too much brightness, boarder-line harsh.

The Sporta/Porta/KSC35 all use flat-back non-coated drivers. To me they are the best sounding 60 Ohm koss driver.

Feb 12, 2009 at 4:42 AM Post #15 of 92
would anyone have a clue about the Pro25's that where sold at Radio Shack. Do you know the Koss equal? Would it be the KTXPro ?

thanks
smily_headphones1.gif

I have the Pro25's but I think I busted the left headphone trying to put new earpads on
frown.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back