REVIEW: Koss KTXPRO1....an awesome portable headphone!
Feb 27, 2017 at 11:33 PM Post #46 of 92
Greetings,

I found a pair of these KTXPRO1's  in the desk drawer! Apparently my wife had bought a pair of these a few years ago, and forgotten about them... the pads had disintegrated, but the rest of the unit was in pristine condition.

So, I have a secret for you with these KTXPRO1's - they are subject to the same modification (" the Kramer Mod") which turns KSC75 and PortaPro drivers into killers, moving them up two weight classes. I have Kramer Mod KSC75s,and Kramer Mod PortaPros, both using the Parts Express headbands, upgraded pads and drilled grills,which are both phenomenal.  If you examine these KTXPRO1s, they utilize the identical drivers and plastic grills as the others.  I had an extra drilled grill set when I was experimenting with hole diameter sizes on those others, and popped them right in here in 5 minutes.

The Kramer mod works spectacularly on these headphones - the midrange clarity and high end open considerably over the stock grilles. Another benefit is that you don't need to replace the headband, as this one is fairly good (also, you can't use the Parts Express headbands here, since the connection holes are different) - however it does have a touch more clamping force than the Parts Express headband, and thicker or double pads are mandatory to open up the sound.

I find that these with Kramer mods have all the qualites of those others, plus a bit more prominent bass (I'm guessing it's due to the difference in open back design, plus the slightly increased pressure which places the driver slightly closer to your ear).

Still, brilliant, cheap, and with the Kramer mods, even more highly recommended! (BTW for details and instructions on the Kramer mods, search elsewhere on this site...)

Feb 27, 2017 at 11:44 PM Post #47 of 92
One of my buddies got a KTXPRO1 from my recommendation. From conversing and sharing photos with him, I realized that my pair has stretched apart a lot more than I realized since the day I got it in late 2015. I may buy a new pair just so I can have better clamping force. As of now, I have to push the pads against my ears to get the best sound. It's also a little too tall for me. About a fourth of the pad hangs under my ears, touching nothing but air, making it even more necessary to push them against my ears.

If you examine these KTXPRO1s, they utilize the identical drivers and plastic grills as the others.

I'll just add that the KTXPRO1 and KSC75 have titanium-coated drivers while the Porta Pro does not. I also heard about them being slightly different shapes. In stock form, my preference is KTXPRO1 > KSC75 > Porta Pro. I made a post earlier about how the KTXPRO1 and Porta Pro compare when I swap the drivers.

Very cool about the mods. I got a modified (Blu-tack, fancy cable) KTXPRO1, but the person who sent it to me didn't package it well. It must have snapped in half during shipping. He forgot to include pads as well. So I'll have to glue or tape it together and put some pads on it before I can even hear it.

Feb 28, 2017 at 1:47 AM Post #48 of 92
You're right - I should have said "identical driver housings and plastic grilles." And yes, the PortaPro's use clear mylar drivers (same as the KSC35), while the KSC75's have metal-coated drivers (similar to the KTXPRO1, with different housings). interestingly, all three drivers have identical grooving, shape, and size.

Interestingly, in full Kramer-mod configurations, I prefer the mylar PortaPro setup for certain music types - it has a more organic, less clinical sound to my ear than the other two, despite giving up some fine detail at high volume. All three are sisters, each with a slightly different sonic signature, but very close in nature (KSC75's are the most accurate, super-detailed, and most balanced; PortaPros are the most organic, warm sounding, while the KTXPRO1's appear to have a touch more bass weight, while retaining most of the KSC75 clarity). The only limitation of the KTXPRO1 is that you can't try another headband, like the other two, due to the unique housing holes used.

FYI, I run my setup with FLAC files, and a JDS Labs CMOY BB v2.1 headphone amp, with the profile set up for PortaPros...

My observations (in order):
Accuracy: KSC75KM, KTXPRO1KM, PortaProKM
Warmth: PortaProKM, KTXPRO1KM, KSC75KM
Balance: KSC75KM high/mid, PortaProKM mid/bass, KTXPRO1KM neutral/bass+
Comfort: PartsExpress band is just about perfect, KTXPRO1 band noticeably tighter

All three are really fantastic, each in their own way.

Feb 28, 2017 at 9:48 PM Post #49 of 92
I don't own this headphone but I'm not sure the straight plug is necessarily only on the new model because when I search the Amazon reviews for "straight" plug there are comments about getting the straight plug even back to 2010.

Feb 28, 2017 at 9:51 PM Post #50 of 92
I recently purchased a new KTXPRO1 from Amazon. I'm writing this because I feel these are way different than the ones I had a few years back.

First of all, the cord is thinner,the plug is straight, and the earpads are smaller and thinner. I called Koss customer service and they said they don't sound counterfeit.

As for the sound, the bass is shallow and muddy, the mids are more forward, and the highs are recessed. I also have the KSC75 and preferred my old KTXPRO1 for the better bass from the clamping force. These are not better.

I have owned or used many variations of these headphones and I have to say I am just not happy with these. I will try a burn-in but I don't think it will help. I'm also going to try thicker earpads. I know this will help but I'm not sure how much. I just hope the KSC75 is still the same because I use the more than anything else and they do wear out or get broken.

Did the one you buy come directly from Amazon (shipped and sold by Amazon) or was it another seller on their list of alternative sellers?

Mar 12, 2017 at 2:19 PM Post #52 of 92
Here's how much of a difference in clamping force there is between my old (purchased late 2015) and new pair.

Although I can listen to the new pair hands-free, it still sounds slightly better if I push the pads against my ears.

The two pairs sound a little different as well. It's hard to pick a favorite at this early point.

Edit: After listening to more music, I have realized that the differences are larger than I thought. I think I'm actually more impressed with the new pair!

Mar 12, 2017 at 6:55 PM Post #53 of 92
So @Music Alchemist , have you heard the KSC75 on the Parts Express handband? I'm really tempted to get the KTXPRO1 after reading your comments! I'm currently in Orange County in a sometimes hot office, where I need to hear when I'm being called to. Between the hot, the need of less isolation and the fact my office is sometimes unlocked, this is looking like a real possible solution! 

Mar 12, 2017 at 7:05 PM Post #54 of 92
  So @Music Alchemist , have you heard the KSC75 on the Parts Express handband? I'm really tempted to get the KTXPRO1 after reading your comments! I'm currently in Orange County in a sometimes hot office, where I need to hear when I'm being called to. Between the hot, the need of less isolation and the fact my office is sometimes unlocked, this is looking like a real possible solution! 

In late 2015 / early 2016, I got a refurbished KSC75 from Amazon. Aside from the sparkly treble and more open soundstage, the KTX sounded far better to me with most recordings. But plenty of others have opposite impressions. I suspect something may have been wrong with that used KSC, so I may try a new one in the future. Pushing the pads closer to my ears (to simulate a headband) didn't improve the sound of the KSC for me.

FYI, the KTX doesn't leak much sound at all. (More than most closed headphones for sure, but less than most open ones.)

Mar 12, 2017 at 9:43 PM Post #55 of 92
I returned my KTXPRO1 to Amazon. I sort of regret not getting a replacement. 

However I bought some AKG Y50, and they are a whole new set of issues. Like when I walk in them I head my footsteps loudly in my ears, (with music off). Due to the sound isolation of the Y50. Cable noise. Terrible ear-cup noise if I tap the ear-cups, and same with headband.

Looks like back to square one with my search for some quality portable headphones, or ear-phones.

Mar 12, 2017 at 10:54 PM Post #56 of 92

However I bought some AKG Y50, and they are a whole new set of issues. Like when I walk in them I head my footsteps loudly in my ears, (with music off). Due to the sound isolation of the Y50. Cable noise. Terrible ear-cup noise if I tap the ear-cups, and same with headband.

Looks like back to square one with my search for some quality portable headphones, or ear-phones.

If you haven't already, have a look at this thread:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/638757/koss-ksc75s-dont-forget-this-giant-killer-in-all-the-hidden-gem-hype/780#post_13336463

Also, for around £7 I find the JVC Flats excellent value.

Mar 14, 2017 at 6:16 AM Post #57 of 92
After reading so much about the likes of the KTXPRO1, the KSC75, and the PortaPro / SportaPro, I got myself a set of these plus the KTXPRO1. Wow these are great, just so lightweight, open and listenable. I can see why they're regarded so highly!!

Have ordered myself a set of PortaPros now as well, will be interesting to see the difference.

With these and earbuds (rather than IEMs) I appear to be regressing style-wise by 20-30 years :-D

I have the Y50's and I really struggle to see why they're highly rated, I was so disappointed with them. They look beautiful (the black ones) and the build quality is spot on. However theyre really microphonic as you say, and they aren't comfortable despite having thick pads. Watching films sounds strange as male voices become boomy and echoey. To me the balance is all wrong, they're far too bass-centric, probably due to the design of the earpads. I also found I couldn't use the mic, although it is great the isolation on these prevents me from hearing my own voice, which is a little freaky. It could be argued that they isolate well, though, especially for an on-ear design.

Mar 14, 2017 at 12:59 PM Post #58 of 92
After reading so much about the likes of the KTXPRO1, the KSC75, and the PortaPro / SportaPro, I got myself a set of these plus the KTXPRO1. Wow these are great, just so lightweight, open and listenable. I can see why they're regarded so highly!!

Have ordered myself a set of PortaPros now as well, will be interesting to see the difference.

With these and earbuds (rather than IEMs) I appear to be regressing style-wise by 20-30 years :-D
I have the Y50's and I really struggle to see why they're highly rated, I was so disappointed with them. They look beautiful (the black ones) and the build quality is spot on. However theyre really microphonic as you say, and they aren't comfortable despite having thick pads. Watching films sounds strange as male voices become boomy and echoey. To me the balance is all wrong, they're far too bass-centric, probably due to the design of the earpads. I also found I couldn't use the mic, although it is great the isolation on these prevents me from hearing my own voice, which is a little freaky. It could be argued that they isolate well, though, especially for an on-ear design.

I only use the Porta Pro for videos because it's the most comfortable headphone I've worn and I'm not picky with sound quality for videos. Despite it being more expensive, I think it sounds inferior to the KTXPRO1 and KSC75. If too much bass and lower mids for male voices is an issue for you, you may want to use an equalizer to reduce them.

Mar 16, 2017 at 7:12 AM Post #59 of 92
Yeah the KTXPRO1 were OK. However they did leak sound and that's no good for public transport. The sound was OK and right for the price, but not a killer of expensive headphones. Not by a long way. The AKG Y50 easily beat them, and the AKG Y50 are far from perfect sonically. Though I find them perfect for the price.

I don't want to try any more ideas recommendations. Basically because I can't just keep buying stuff on Amazon and returning it. However it does leave me with a problem.

I want some headphones or earphones that I can use while walking and on public transport. The AKG Y50 has a ridiculous issue that every footstep booms up though your body, so no good for walking. It's because of the sound isolation I think. (I think the AKG Y50 being described as portable headphones means something different to different people. Portable to me means being able to wear anywhere like when walking. To others I think it means being able to be folded away, and then like used on a train.)

I am stuck back with my Sennheiser MX500 for going walkabout. Plus they have a habit of slipping out of your ear when say, turning your head. They are not brilliant though and getting harder to find as they are a very old model.

I also worry about buying something like Sennheiser CX300-II. That's because I never really tried in-ear isolation earphones. While I hear they suffer some microphonics, I am more concerned about the isolation causing walking noise now.

Anyway thanks for your thoughts.

Mar 16, 2017 at 1:41 PM Post #60 of 92
  The sound was OK and right for the price, but not a killer of expensive headphones. Not by a long way.

This is a pretty subjective matter. This year I've had a handful of rather expensive headphones such as the Elear, HD 600, HD 800, HE500, LCD-2F, LCD-X, NightHawk, TH900, etc. (I'm not mentioning headphones from years past.) There's no doubt they're better in a technical sense. But none of them are nearly as consistently enjoyable for me with all genres of music as the KTXPRO1. All of them do certain weird things to the sound—errors of commission, if you will—that make the KTXPRO1 sound more "right" to me and make me reach for it over them. (Even when I equalize the others. Most aspects of sound cannot be fixed with EQ.) For me personally, the overall sound of the KTXPRO1 is subjectively better, and it's not that far behind when it comes to ultimate performance. STAX may be the only headphones that are better for me objectively and subjectively.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back