REVIEW: Koss KTXPRO1....an awesome portable headphone!
Feb 7, 2017 at 7:59 PM Post #31 of 92
The Grado L-cushion pads (that I have, standard on my SR225e) are sort of firm. Some find them scratchy and uncomfortable at first. However I discovered right off how to wear them in total comfort. I can literally wear them all day.

I really don't know thy they transmit cable noise. Except that the cable goes into the plastic ear-cup and is in contact with it. It must travel into the cup there I guess.

Thank you for the heads up on the PKTXPRO1 cable. I think I will get some. I am in real need for some walkabout headphones. Right now I use the Sennheiser MX500, which are old models now. Trouble is they tend to fall out, and need to be pushed in to hear the bass. They are not ear-canal either, just old fashioned earphones.

If you can, find some with the 90 degree plug on the end. The cable is better quality. Those should also have the thicker ear pads.

Feb 8, 2017 at 9:51 AM Post #33 of 92
@aeromojito OK! thank you.

I mean could go over the top and maybe buy some better headphones for at home. Then use my SR225e for going on walks. Or buy some SR60e for walking. I think the KOSS is the better alternative though.

By the way, while I accept they must be good for the money I doubt they are outstanding. Otherwise every hi-fi review mag would be all over them. E.g. What Hi-Fi have the AKG Y50 as best under £100 portable headphone. (Released at £80, and now selling for £50-£60.) http://www.whathifi.com/akg/y50/review

I think the KOSS being more understated are better though. I could not walk about with a huge AKG on me, wildly advertising for them. Although the black version is mush more subtle. They are closed back which defeats the purpose of safety when walking by a road, however I bet some sound gets in. I think they are a good choice.

I am definitely buzzing to hear the KTXPRO1 though. For the price It's worth buying a pair just for fun. (Although I am cautious because I might just end up with a pair of SR60e for another job too.)

Feb 17, 2017 at 7:05 PM Post #35 of 92
OK I have a new pair of KTXPRO1 here that cost me £19. My first impressions are, that they are sonically only £20 headphones, but good ones. Anyway I know most transducers need a good run-in. I will review maybe later when they have had about 70 hours on them.  

Initial impressions are that they would replace my Sennhieser MX500 earphones. They make a slightly nicer sound. They are comfortable so far, and very light and don't move about when I do. However I am not so impressed overall. Their strength is in that they are balanced. No part of the bass, mids, or treble seems to have any tonal leaning forward. (Whereas my Grado SR225e are a bit trebly. As some of the lower Grado models are.)

My SR225e are a league ahead in clarity and detail. They hold tone more solidly. Koss have tonal balance though and in that way are a more relaxing listen. (However not in depth of musicality.) Whereas with the SR225e you need to take a moment to adjust to the slight treble heat. (Then you relax into them, and are long gone.)

I can not say if I want to keep these Koss yet. I bought them on Amazon and might return them. It's hard to say when they are fresh out of the box with no time on them. Given the things said about them I think they must improve with run-in. However for £20, it's still impossible to find fault. 

The only aspect to consider is that for £50-£60, there is the AKG Y50. Which by all accounts would be easily better. Anyway, as I keep saying I will give them time to run-in. I will leave them on a source overnight and for two days at least.

Feb 17, 2017 at 8:11 PM Post #36 of 92
As for me, I even prefer the KTXPRO1 over four-figure headphones like the HD 800, Elear, and TH900 a good percentage of the time. It's not better than them, obviously, but it just does certain things that make it win out for me with some music.

Feb 24, 2017 at 7:28 PM Post #37 of 92
The KOSS KTXPRO1 pair I received have the straight jack-plug. I have run them in for about maybe thirty hours. I played them on my Chord Mojo, and while they OK, they are probably not for me.

They do sort of make a replacement for my Sennheiser MX500, but nothing to get excited about. I guess if you're paying $9, it's about £7. However I paid nearly three times that, and to me they are only £20 worth of sound. Or maybe a little more.

They don't come anywhere close to my Grado SR225e. However there is a caveat with that. I feel the need to EQ my 255e, to reduce a little brightness. Once that is done the 225e are well ahead of the Koss. Granted the cost is massively more on the 225e.

The 225e make a sound leaning toward hi-fi. The Koss make a tonally OK sound, but they have some weird tones going on too. Making some sounds basically off. If I had no headphones to listen to my portable radio, I would probably keep them. However I still have some MX500, but only one pair. Therefor I am looking for something better hopefully, but more importantly something more suitable.

The Koss are a good size but I do not like that the cups don't turn and sit flat. While the AKGs do, they look like the cups might be quite large. I will have to find out. I am keen now to try the AKG Y50.

Maybe I did not let these KOSS KTXPRO1 run-in long enough. However I don't understand the excitement unless you really want cheap headphones. Under that circumstance they would be ideal.

The KOSS KTXPRO1 seemed to me, in summary: 
a reasonable tone,
fairly balanced but a but crashy up top
a reasonable detail, but slightly warbly (Maybe to be expected at the price)
them not laying flat on the ears can be ignored

Sorry folks.

By the way, I popped into PC World to look for the AKG Y50, and couldn't find them. However I tired some £15 Goji (whatever) headphones. (I mistook them for some cheap AKG headphones.) They actually beat the Koss KTXPRO1 in some aspects for me.

Feb 24, 2017 at 7:45 PM Post #38 of 92
@GreenBow: Try the JVC HA-S160 Flats - very good and very cheap.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=jvc+flats&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Ajvc+flats

Feb 25, 2017 at 11:40 AM Post #40 of 92
If you have any thicker ear pads, please try them. They make a huge difference.

Which thicker pads would you recommend?

Someone sent me a modified KTXPRO1 (with a fancy cable and Blu-tack) but he forgot to include pads, so I'd be inclined to experiment with aftermarket pads instead of taking off the ones from my stock KTXPRO1.

Feb 25, 2017 at 12:42 PM Post #41 of 92
To be fair the KOSS KTXPRO1 do make more sense my portable DAB/FM radio. (On the Chord Mojo they were not strong enough to really consider using, as said a few posts back.) They might improve with more burn-in (running-in), however I don't think have confidence in it.

I still think the AKG Y50 would be a better choice. They at least win accolades.

Feb 25, 2017 at 5:54 PM Post #42 of 92
Which thicker pads would you recommend?

Someone sent me a modified KTXPRO1 (with a fancy cable and Blu-tack) but he forgot to include pads, so I'd be inclined to experiment with aftermarket pads instead of taking off the ones from my stock KTXPRO1.

None in particular. Portapro pads should be good. If you see a seem around the outer edge, they are probably the 5hinner pads.

Feb 25, 2017 at 8:12 PM Post #43 of 92
None in particular. Portapro pads should be good. If you see a seem around the outer edge, they are probably the 5hinner pads.

So I guess these should be good? They are compatible with the KTXPRO1, Porta Pro, KSC75, etc. Can't tell how thick they are.

https://www.amazon.com/Koss-PORT-REPLACEMENT-CUSHIONS-Replacement/dp/B000O2KIMO/

I have a Porta Pro too, and its pads aren't that much thicker.

Feb 26, 2017 at 4:54 AM Post #44 of 92
Feb 26, 2017 at 7:34 AM Post #45 of 92
have a look at Post 32 as a reference to determine if you have thin earpads.

I saw that, but how is it relevant? I have the newer KTX. I am saying my Porta Pro's pads are not much thicker than my KTX's pads, and I can't tell the thickness of Koss's replacement pads that are compatible with multiple headphones. But perhaps even that small of a difference could significantly change the sound.

Could you describe which thinner and thicker pads you have tried and what differences you hear?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back