REVIEW: JMoney Audio Genuine Leather earpads for Beyer DT770/880/990
Jun 6, 2009 at 11:40 AM Post #91 of 322
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, finally did that last night. They are GREAT with the VXD4's. GREAT. My favorite pad. The VXD4 don't need bass reinforcement of course, and these pads actually serve to clean things up a bit in the upper bass without reducing the deep bass at all. VERY highly recommended for Darth owners. In fact I need to get another pair for VXD4 use
wink.gif

Would you say the same is true for stock 770/80s?
Also, are they deeper than the velours (sorry if you mentioned this)? my velours have compressed and they now hurt my ears.
In fact, can we get a few shots of them next to velours? (birdseye and side-ways if possible?)

Jun 6, 2009 at 12:17 PM Post #92 of 322
My *guess* about the stock DT770/80 is yes, but I can't say for sure.

Yes, they are deeper than the velours. I'm not a good enough photographer to really give you what you are looking for, though.

Jun 7, 2009 at 3:30 AM Post #95 of 322
Quote:

Also, are they deeper than the velours (sorry if you mentioned this)? my velours have compressed and they now hurt my ears.
In fact, can we get a few shots of them next to velours? (birdseye and side-ways if possible?)

Im having the same problem with the velours too. I cant wait to try these out.

Jun 7, 2009 at 3:46 AM Post #96 of 322
Speaking with Shure about their upcoming SHR series, I was AMAZED at the improvement pad-rolling gave by swapping the cushy memory-foam 840 pads onto the 440 headphones, so I can believe the pads reviewed here could be a great upgrade for Beyer owners

Jul 10, 2009 at 1:29 AM Post #97 of 322
Apparently the pads I reviewed are now actually available for sale, FWIW.

Jul 10, 2009 at 3:34 AM Post #98 of 322
I just installed the V3 Headband. The metal strap takes a path that is up against one side of the headband, instead of running from side to side across the middle of the headband. Is that how you intended this to work.

Jul 10, 2009 at 7:33 AM Post #99 of 322
Les,
I think you posted in the wrong thread...lol. The band should go through the middle. You have to insert it carefully so that the band doesn't veer to one side.

Also, it is true that the pads are released. Please go to my JMoney MOT thread for details.

Jul 18, 2009 at 6:01 AM Post #100 of 322
I received my jmoney dt880 pads a couple of days ago. They are a fine, soft quality leather stitched together wonderfully. The padding used is firm so not to compress to far when on causing irritation. Maybe a hair firmer than the velour. They have the small holes on the backside like the velor and manufactur leather ones. They get warm but dont make your ears sweat. The sound is great with the darth beyers with what I can tell at this moment. I just sent my dac in to be upgraded so I am running on a portable right now. It does seem that there is a little better sound stage than what I was used too and the sound is cleaner. I would do some a/b comparison but I just bought the d7000 headphones so I am playing with those right now. After seeing the craftsmanship and thought put into the dt880 pads, I will defiantly buy the denon pads he just released without any reservation and recommend the dt880 pads for the darth beyers. I dont own the dt880's so I cant comment on those, but I dont see any way to go wrong with purchasing these pads because they are a very nicely made leather replacement.

Jul 18, 2009 at 5:42 PM Post #101 of 322
My DT 880 leatherpads arrived today and i can't be happier!

The pads are very easy to install on the headphone, in opposite to the original velour pads. The already comfortable Beyer got so much more comfortable, that i even like the feeling having them on my head.

As for the sound, let me just say this: I spent several hours with them today enjoying music, with some back and forth A/B/C switching with my 10 days old HD 800 and same aged JVC DX1000.

Compared to the velourpads of the 3 weeks old DT 880 (600 Ohm), the leatherpads give a greater body through a more emphasized bass and a fuller , warmer, sweeter midrange, while recessing the highs a bit which always were somewhat a problem for me especially on my 3 years old 250 Ohm Version.
With the HD 800 i felt like being at a live concert with many hundreds of people, me being one of them. But with the reborn DT 880 it feels like an emotional, intimate private audience.

After enjoying the music so much, which i didn't for a very long time, i decided to return the DX1000 and sell the HD 800 - no joke! Since the Beyer is more forgiving than both others, i can even enjoy lesser quality music and through a slightly worse amp (direct through Benchmark DAC out compared to DAC -> Lehmann BCL).

Today was the day i came to the conclusion that neutrality, naturality and maximum detail is not everything, but for me musicality, intimity and therefore enjoyment is; and that just because of some replacement pads. Unbelievable!

Of course i do know that the change in the characteristic is not for everyone, but for me it was just spot on and it is hard for me to think about a more enjoyable sound right now.

I think about getting a replacement set of leatherpads just in case production stops and i will need them anytime in future.

Jul 23, 2009 at 6:12 PM Post #102 of 322
^^^^^

Thanks for the info. Ordered a set for my 880 '03's last night.

Jul 28, 2009 at 5:58 AM Post #104 of 322
Compared the JMoney pads to the leather Beyer pads on my Headphile V4 Beyers and I prefer the Beyer pads at least on the V4. I find some life gets sucked out of the music with the JMoney pads on my V4, which defeats the point of Larry's mods. I suspect they are well-suited for my DT880 though and I will try that next.

Jul 29, 2009 at 5:56 AM Post #105 of 322
Quote:

Originally Posted by Xxtest83 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Compared to the velourpads of the 3 weeks old DT 880 (600 Ohm), the leatherpads give a greater body through a more emphasized bass and a fuller , warmer, sweeter midrange, while recessing the highs a bit which always were somewhat a problem for me especially on my 3 years old 250 Ohm Version.

I have very similar impressions of the JMoney's on my DT880 '03. The tonal balance has clearly evened out. Less tizzy on the top end and, while LF is more fleshed out, the hole in the middle has disappeared. These now have a real sense of PRAT that did not exist before. I am now happy using the 880's on all genres of music. Great product.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back