REVIEW: JMoney Audio Genuine Leather earpads for Beyer DT770/880/990
Mar 3, 2011 at 8:26 PM Post #286 of 322
Yeah they are expensive pads and after having them for a while I would say the money be invested elsewhere. They do sound good but I can't really recommend them anymore as I think the price is a bit too high just for leather pads.

I can say if you get them used for maybe $30-$40 it would be a fine price, but at $65 plus shipping NEW that's not such a good deal.

[SEMI RANT] JMoney would not give me their advertised price as well so that is a turn off. No matter what you say the new price is, you should always give the customer the advertised price as that's good business ethics. That's like buying a car, for say $15,000, then the when you go to pay, the dealership says "Oh that's the old price, the new price is $20,000". JMoney should only charge you the advertised price.This is one reason I can't recommend them at full price.[/SEMI RANT]

Mar 4, 2011 at 2:31 PM Post #287 of 322
I totally agree with your semi rant!!
Despite how much I enjoy the pads on my DT990/600.

Maybe totally unrelated, but I would say that swapping pads, if one is looking for a new/better/different sound signature is, a much more efficient and effective investment than recabling though.

Mar 4, 2011 at 8:59 PM Post #288 of 322
I agree with this as well. Recables can not change the sound from ultra bright to incredibly smooth, but they can help with smoothing the sound and filling the mids. Pads change the sound more than any cable could do, but these pads aren't for everyone. They are darker sounding and more in your face. The DT880 is no longer bright and thin sounding but rather full and pounding with smoother treble and much much fuller mids.

I prefer these pads on the DT770/600 though as it tames the highs, fills in the mids and gives body to the very light bass. With these pads the bass light DT770/600 ends up having quite a bit more bass than the DT880/600.

Quote:
I totally agree with your semi rant!!
Despite how much I enjoy the pads on my DT990/600.

Maybe totally unrelated, but I would say that swapping pads, if one is looking for a new/better/different sound signature is, a much more efficient and effective investment than recabling though.

Mar 5, 2011 at 7:07 AM Post #289 of 322
Comparing pads and cables in respect of possible sound alterations is like a drag race between a cochlea and a Porsche.

Jan 25, 2012 at 3:03 PM Post #291 of 322
Just tried these pads on my T1:

And it sounds great! They have the same effect as I experienced with the DT990: more (sub-)bass, slightly narrower soundstage. Compared with the T1's stock pads, the J$v2's have a smaller inner diameter, and as such they overlap the angled driver a few milimeters. In theory I guess this should adversely affect the sound, but I can't tell if it in fact does, to me it's still as revealing and detailed as it used to be (I always like to use anything by Autechre to test detail).

I'm not sure if I'll keep using these pads with my T1 all the time from now on. I only have one pair and it's hard to go back to stock velour pads with the DT990, but I also need that headphone for my other rig 
frown.gif
. Second, I definitely prefer the feel and looks of leather over velour. However, at the other hand I'm thinking maybe I should keep the T1 as neutral as possible. But the basshead in me will probably protest sooner or later 
beyersmile.png

Decisions... 
rolleyes.gif

Feb 21, 2012 at 1:13 PM Post #292 of 322
With the J$ pads on the DT 770/600, I think the sound is much more sibilant, and it lacks bass. With the velours, it is much smoother and the bass gets a nice improvement. 

Feb 21, 2012 at 1:28 PM Post #293 of 322

Quote:
With the J$ pads on the DT 770/600, I think the sound is much more sibilant, and it lacks bass. With the velours, it is much smoother and the bass gets a nice improvement. 

Are you saying that the Sound Engineers at Beyer know more about this than Jmoney does?

Feb 21, 2012 at 2:09 PM Post #294 of 322
Probably, probably not, but this is what I'm hearing.
Also, I've heard that J$'s build quality isn't the most consistent, so maybe I have a bad egg.

Quote:
Are you saying that the Sound Engineers at Beyer know more about this than Jmoney does?

Feb 21, 2012 at 2:46 PM Post #296 of 322
Oh man been searching for custom beyer pads for ages. Need to get a bigger sized DT48e pads as the standard isn't big enough and puts strain on my ears, going to check them out. Hope they have them.

Feb 21, 2012 at 2:51 PM Post #297 of 322
It's kinda hit or miss with these pads (version 2), I love them with the DT990/600 and T1, but they make the DT770pro sound horrible.
Is Jeremy's business still running? His website has been down for quite a while. Would love to get another pair so I don't have to swap all the time 
frown.gif

May 3, 2012 at 5:31 PM Post #298 of 322
Looking to buy a pair of these...but cant afford a new pair as im a broke student :frowning2: so anyone looking to sell thiers? OR Manufaktur leather ones too im not fussed :D 

Have a thread here http://www.head-fi.org/t/608369/leather-pads-for-beyer-dt770-pro-or-jmoney-j-dt770pro-same-as-dt880-i-think-velour

Cheers 
Quote:
It's kinda hit or miss with these pads (version 2), I love them with the DT990/600 and T1, but they make the DT770pro sound horrible.
Is Jeremy's business still running? His website has been down for quite a while. Would love to get another pair so I don't have to swap all the time 
frown.gif

Also why do they make the DT770 PRO sound horrible...thats what i was gonna get em for! :p 

May 4, 2012 at 2:52 PM Post #299 of 322
Now that I think about it, these pads do several things, the same things, with any headphone I've tried them with.

The soundstage appears to become a little narrower. They're far more comfortable than the stock velours. It isolates from outside noise better with these leather pads. And most importantly, it boosts mid and upper bass, a little too much for my tastes with the DT770pro (apparently to the point I found it to become "horrible" 
frown.gif
). But just the right amount with the DT990, which I'm using them with, mostly. And after much consideration I concluded that I like to keep my T1 with stock pads.

If you're a serious basshead, you should definitely get a pair for your DT770pro! Although I'm not even sure if Jeremy, the creator, is still in the business at all anymore.

May 4, 2012 at 3:03 PM Post #300 of 322
ahh thanks for your help...i guess that I will like them then :D 

Sad to hear about the business no longer going...I looked online and couldnt find any...i guess i will have to wait for a used one :frowning2: 

Please someone let me buy it from you haha 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back