Review: iPod touch 2G - one year on - SQ, performance and How-to
Nov 26, 2009 at 4:14 AM Post #17 of 53
This review will focus on the 2G as I DON'T own a 3G and am only able to listen it at very small chances. In the chance that I buy one, I will do a similar review, but this review is an experience review after 1 year. I know the good and bad of this system and want to share it and help audiophiles enjoy music more from this platform.

Nov 26, 2009 at 4:59 PM Post #19 of 53
It seems like tons of people hate the 1G touch. I do find the HP out very hissy and flat (boring) sounding.

When you try the line out though, it sounds very good. A touch warm and very detailed. Nice imaging and soundstage... I'm thinking about getting a better amp now. Maybe I just prefer the sound of wolfson DAC over cirrus??

For the OP how do you compare the 1G and 2G through line out only?

Nov 27, 2009 at 1:27 AM Post #20 of 53
I'm looking forward to your review. I'll use it to decide whether to dump my iPod Touch 2G for the Cowon S9.

I don't like my iPod because
- I can't find some songs in it because iTunes renames the songs when I transfer them from Windows Media Player to iTunes (I use a Windows notebook)
- I can't make decent playlists in the iPod itself
- There is no custom EQ that can be used while a song is playing
- No FM radio

I don't like to dispose it though because I love the podcasts and trivia games available in iTunes. If these can be had and managed easily in Cowon I'll get it ASAP (assuming that it addresses my gripes with the iPod)

Nov 28, 2009 at 6:25 AM Post #21 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark_Louis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm looking forward to your review. I'll use it to decide whether to dump my iPod Touch 2G for the Cowon S9.

I don't like my iPod because
- I can't find some songs in it because iTunes renames the songs when I transfer them from Windows Media Player to iTunes (I use a Windows notebook)
- I can't make decent playlists in the iPod itself
- There is no custom EQ that can be used while a song is playing
- No FM radio

I don't like to dispose it though because I love the podcasts and trivia games available in iTunes. If these can be had and managed easily in Cowon I'll get it ASAP (assuming that it addresses my gripes with the iPod)

Hi Shizgeo! =d
looking forward to this
I got a 2G as well

Nov 29, 2009 at 11:03 PM Post #23 of 53
Shiggy,

I know of your love for the nano 3rd Gen. Will you be including any references in comparison to that player?

Nov 30, 2009 at 12:52 AM Post #24 of 53
Very nice first section shigzeo, can't wait for the rest. I have a 64gb beast on the way ATM, and I'm finally happy w/the capacity.

Dec 2, 2009 at 12:42 AM Post #27 of 53
I sold my 1st gen and got a late 2009 iPod Touch 8gb. 2g from what I gather. Immediately I applied BestSkinsEver total body skin. I had that on the old one. it it kept the unit fresh for 2 years.

I've been listening to my 2G with my RE2 and it has been a pleasant experience. I did notice bass improvement. I did find some female tracks to be grainy and boxy. But not by much. I like the more present detail on light metal like brushes. Guitar plucks sound a bit thin but there's enough bite to be enjoyable. I did notice less noise. Nice blacks.

I listened with and without my vintage Aiwa ss amp. Of course there was a dramatic improvement with the amp. But listening without was not far behind and for the most part really enjoyable.

To isolate source capability from my RE2 I a/b'ed the iPod Touch and my Denon source. So I know my RE2 ad more to give. The stock buds sounded well balanced but thinner overall. But you can see that the iPod Touch was tuned for the oem buds. Perhaps that explains the anomalies I heard. It may also indicate that some eq may have been employed by default.

28112009349.jpg

28112009350.jpg

28112009354.jpg

Dec 2, 2009 at 2:46 AM Post #28 of 53
You know, my iPod has never had a skin or a cover. I use iPod socks for everything, but I use it so much to review apps that it looks now like a beat up leaf. Works perfectly, but its badge of honour is the terrible scars and lines. Personally, I don't really think it worthwhile to spend that much time protecting it - it won't die!

Dec 10, 2009 at 8:42 AM Post #30 of 53
To be honest, I think this thread is premature. The OP should have completed his article before posting. While waiting for the review I already bought an iPod Touch 3G based on other reviews. A valiant effort but sadly too slow.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back