Review: iPod touch 2G - one year on - SQ, performance and How-to
Dec 11, 2009 at 8:15 AM Post #31 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gino /img/forum/go_quote.gif
To be honest, I think this thread is premature. The OP should have completed his article before posting. While waiting for the review I already bought an iPod Touch 3G based on other reviews. A valiant effort but sadly too slow.

No one forced you to read it,and besides shigzeo's stated clearly that he did this review dedicated only to sound quality and how to improve it.this thread is very informative at least forme as I learn new things I didn't know about my touch,if you want a review on what pmp is the best go to cnet or something .

Dec 11, 2009 at 7:40 PM Post #33 of 53
Cheers. Just bought a refurb 32 gig off the apple store to replace my 8 gig 1st gen. Had been tempted to get a 3rd gen one but the £50 saving swayed me a little
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 14, 2009 at 3:31 AM Post #34 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by shigzeo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Next instalment coming this weekend. Regarding optimal earphones for HPO use, and the differences of amping the HPO and the Line out for real-world use. I hope it will be helpful.

Sound good
popcorn.gif

Just sold my PSP so I've got some cash to blow... sometime this week I'm going to get either a 2nd gen 16gb touch, 3rd gen 8gb touch or 5.5g 80gb.

Is there any difference then between the 3rd gen 8gb and 2nd gen models? a 16gb second gen is WAY cheaper than a 3rd gen 8gb for some reason. and has more battery life apparently.

Would an old Wolfson 5.5 sound better than these touches?

I'm going to be selling my Fiio E5 and buying a Fiio E1 instead (Line out + amp in one)

Jan 8, 2010 at 1:24 PM Post #35 of 53
Hello everyone - my father had stroke recently causing me to have to return to Canada. I am back in South Korea now and have gone back to work, but am behind by about 2 weeks on everything. Please forgive me. This article is getting a few more touches for publish.

Jan 8, 2010 at 10:23 PM Post #36 of 53
sorry to hear that shigz, hope all is well now and am eagerly awaiting your review. I've been looking into replacing my old 1g touch for a while now. this looks promising.

Jan 9, 2010 at 11:59 AM Post #38 of 53
thanks what is LOD?

Jan 9, 2010 at 1:02 PM Post #39 of 53
Line Out Dock. Many companies sell them. They take the line out signal from the 30-pin port on the bottom of the iPod and convert it to signal for external amps. My comparison was with the HPO and LOD to the same amp at roughly the same volume settings (+/- 3db).

Jan 9, 2010 at 1:11 PM Post #40 of 53
very helpful and excellent guide.so the difference between the LOD and headphone out is small to negligible?i just ordered an expensive LOD hoping there would be a big difference than using the cheap 3.5mm jack i use now with my amp.i will be very dissapointed if there is no difference.

Jan 9, 2010 at 1:17 PM Post #41 of 53
I would not say that. But the sound isn't a huge step. What is better about the LOD is that there isn't anything in the way. Less hiss, perfect volume settings, no sizzling distortion, and elegance. The HPO is at times more linear and I would suggest getting a nice 3,5 shielded cable or a nice LOD. The LOD will pick up on radio signals out and about which is troublesome.

And it is better placed for external use. I prefer to use a LOD, but don't fret at all amping the headphone output as it is perfectly capable.

Jan 9, 2010 at 1:23 PM Post #42 of 53
When using the LOD dock anyway to use it as spdif out and using an external DAC?

Jan 9, 2010 at 1:25 PM Post #43 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by oqvist /img/forum/go_quote.gif
When using the LOD dock anyway to use it as spdif out and using an external DAC?

Yes. You need the Wadia iTransport or the new Onkyo offering, can't remember the name.

Jan 9, 2010 at 6:32 PM Post #45 of 53
I just noticed that my RX-V663B is supposed to have support for some ipod docking stationg too! YDS-11SL

Though I can´t tell if it uses the Yamahas DAC or just the Yamaha as the amplifier.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back