Review: InEar StageDiver Series
Dec 14, 2013 at 8:20 AM Post #121 of 341
I'd love to hear a comparison between heir 4ai and SD2/3. Using iBasso DX50 with JDS labs C5, but getting itchy head fi wallet syndrome, so thinking about SD3. Listen to mainly electronic music.

Dec 14, 2013 at 11:29 AM Post #123 of 341
Thanks but hasn't really answered my question. I'm after someone who's had 4ai and Sd2/3

Dec 14, 2013 at 12:54 PM Post #124 of 341
Well, I’ve borrowed the 4.Ai from a friend for a while. What do you want to know?
Or why do you want to replace the Heir?

Neither StageDiver sounds similar. The 4.Ai is fairly neutral, flat in depth, very dry, hollow in the mids and has a tendency to be unforgiving in the highs. To me the Heir was quite analytical without achieving reference qualities in any category.
Ultimately, I found it to be boring.

If you disagree with my impressions, then you will probably also not prefer either SD.

Dec 14, 2013 at 12:58 PM Post #125 of 341
I'd like to find something with larger soundstage. More excitement. The Heirs aren't a bad IEM, but also don't fit my ears brilliantly. Have had westone 4r and um3x prior to the heirs.

Dec 15, 2013 at 1:02 AM Post #126 of 341
Well, since you're into Electro you probably appreciate the slam of SD3. I don't listen to a lot of Electronica but from what others said the SD3 definitely delivers. I've seen your Heir is already up for sale. If your budget is tight, I recommend to start a few levels below and purchase different sound signatures to see which suit you best and where you want to go.

Dec 15, 2013 at 8:29 AM Post #127 of 341
Well I've already had UEs, westone UM3X, westone 4R, Heir 4ai, Sony X1060, ibasso DX50, Colorfly C3, various iPods etc etc so I'm not going to go lower. The decision for me is SD2, SD3, or possibly one of the new universal Noble IEMs. This will probably be my last universal before going custom.
Thank you for your suggestion though, I am looking for some guidance. It's a shame once you get to this level listening demos are hard to come by.

Dec 15, 2013 at 9:51 AM Post #128 of 341
As you can see from my profile pic, after the StageDivers I also jumped to customs. (Not „after“ because I still have the SDs.) The StageDiver are a good cross-over.

However, I see things differently about „not going lower“. Because, TBH, the Sony MH1C (or similar) can uncover 99% of all details of all of my Rock & Pop records. That is a sad but true experience I had to make.
We are talking about an extremely high resolution that you are comparing and from my experience it only shows with Jazz, Classical and very few other records. People often discover new details when attentively listening with a different IEM which - more often than not - is caused by a different tuning.

That said, the StageDiver 3 is a very fun and engaging IEM with a convincing soundstage and very heavy weight. The resolution is impressive as all notes are very tight.
There are some things that I think the SD3 does even better than my custom, but not from a truly hifi point of view.

I really don’t know what to tell you. There are a lot of impressions on Head-Fi already and nobody can give you a firm „yes, it is better than…“ reply because individual preferences matter a lot.
Let your guts decide whether to risk the purchase, I would say the experience is well worth it.

Dec 15, 2013 at 10:31 AM Post #129 of 341
I know what you mean. Whilst the 4ai have a very flat response, some might say dry, they don't have a massive amount of flair. I think the SD2 may also be along those lines, closer to reference than fun. I suspect the Nobles will be along the same lines as the Heirs, given their pedigree.
I've seen very few bad SD3 opinions, so I may just treat myself to a pair.
Thanks for your help.

Dec 15, 2013 at 10:48 AM Post #130 of 341
I know what you mean. Whilst the 4ai have a very flat response, some might say dry, they don't have a massive amount of flair. I think the SD2 may also be along those lines, closer to reference than fun. I suspect the Nobles will be along the same lines as the Heirs, given their pedigree.
I've seen very few bad SD3 opinions, so I may just treat myself to a pair.
Thanks for your help.
Great choice there, you wont regret it.

Dec 15, 2013 at 12:31 PM Post #131 of 341
Could somebody provide me with (UK) links to either the wider ortofon tips or the correct UE tips for the SD3?
Thanks

Dec 19, 2013 at 5:22 AM Post #132 of 341
Dec 19, 2013 at 2:52 PM Post #133 of 341
How long does Thomann take to deliver to UK?

Dec 19, 2013 at 3:13 PM Post #134 of 341

Users who are viewing this thread

Back