Review: InEar StageDiver Series
Nov 8, 2014 at 11:55 AM Post #212 of 341
stage driver 4

Are there people who have an ideas about it  ?

Nov 16, 2014 at 1:22 PM Post #214 of 341
  has anyone compared SD-2/SD-3 to Sony MDR7550/1000? Is there a big gap between these iems? 

I have SD 2 and MDR 7550. Here is my take:

High: SD 2 sounds a tiny bit brighter. 7550 has a bit of a grain to the sound compared to SD 2 and is slightly more siblant (I am very sensitive to siblance)

Mid: They sound very similar, but the vocals on SD 2 sound a little more intimate.

Low: SD 2 definitely has more bass impact and quantity. However, due to the dynamic driver, 7550 sounds more natural and a little better decay.

Soundstage: 7550 has much wider soundstage, but the depth is about the same and SD 2 has better center focus.

Background: This depends on the source, but from my experience SD 2 is a little harder to drive/has more background noise than 7550 due to multiple balanced armature drivers. Straight out of Samsung Galaxy S3 or Sony Walkman F806, SD 2 has substantially more hiss. Amp will solve this issue.

Personally, I find $100-200 difference between SD 2 and MDR 7550 to be a pretty big difference. I loved my 7550 before buying SD 2, but after buying the SD 2 I have never listened to 7550 again. 7550 still has it's own advantages over SD 2 with its natural bass and wide open soundstage, but SD 2 overall sounds more refined and elegant to me. I listen to vocals 70% of the time, and though 7550 excel in that regard, SD 2 does it even better. Due to the bass quantity, SD 2 also has an edge in terms of modern genres such as pop, dubstep, electronic, etc. I also prefer SD 2 over 7550 when listening to jazz or classical music, but some might prefer 7550 in terms classical music due to its soundstage.

Hope this helped. 

Nov 16, 2014 at 1:51 PM Post #215 of 341
Thank you very much.
I could add some bass weight to MDR7550 sound so its very good. If mids are the same its also nice because timbre of 7550 is ok. Brightness of highs doesnt bother me unless there are no:

upper mids peaks
sibilance

I found 7550 little bit sensitive for all "sss" in vocals and hear it quite often. Very cheap Zero Audio Tenores are perfect in this regard - mids/highs conherence is perfect for my ears.
Dont listen to classical so more bass quantity is welcome and super wide soundstage isnt necessary. Actually I prefer more depth than wideness.

Nov 22, 2014 at 2:07 PM Post #216 of 341
After listening to SD2 few days these stay with me. I could listen a long time and nothing pisses me off. Build quality and comfort are also top notch (I got smaller version).
My next step is to find DAP with best synergy. Im thinking about X3/DX50  as X5 and DX90 are a little bit too expensive. 
Any suggestions?

Jan 13, 2015 at 9:53 PM Post #219 of 341
Since SD series tend to sound in warm side, it need such DAP that has a good punch, tight bass and neutral way sound. I've used DX90 and I can say the combo was better then X5. But it all about taste. 
Cayin just launched their new DAP called N6, it sold at $620. based on what I read from this thread, N6 is very tempting.

#edit for link

Jan 14, 2015 at 12:59 PM Post #220 of 341
  Since SD series tend to sound in warm side, it need such DAP that has a good punch, tight bass and neutral way sound. I've used DX90 and I can say the combo was better then X5. But it all about taste. 
Cayin just launched their new DAP called N6, it sold at $620. based on what I read from this thread, N6 is very tempting.

#edit for link

Keep in mind that not the entire SD series sounds warm. The SD 2 are reportedly neutral/balanced, while the SD3 are warm. I have no idea what the SD 4 sound like :p 

Feb 8, 2015 at 5:51 PM Post #222 of 341
How does the sd3's compare to the um3x. Are the mids more forwards with better instrument separation? I'm looking to upgrade after using my um3x for nearly 3 years.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back