Review: InEar StageDiver Series
Feb 21, 2016 at 11:47 AM Post #241 of 341
just puzzled about k3003 / sd4 / fibass, looking for kind of neutral, analytical, though not overly clinical or flimsy sounding ones, with punchy, meaty bass with good impact but there only when called for - menu is melodeath, nwobhm, all rock, folk, classical and renaissance polyphony

any opinions much appreciated

Feb 23, 2016 at 6:26 PM Post #242 of 341
  just puzzled about k3003 / sd4 / fibass, looking for kind of neutral, analytical, though not overly clinical or flimsy sounding ones, with punchy, meaty bass with good impact but there only when called for - menu is melodeath, nwobhm, all rock, folk, classical and renaissance polyphony

Current owner of sd4 and previous owner of k3003 (no experience in fibass).

I think the sd4 is exactly what you need as described. It is not overly clinical, is smooth and balance, easy to drive to its potential even with mobile phone, satisfactory sound stage performance, and has meaty bass punch. Although I own both noble k10u and sd4 but I found I use sd4 more. While k10u is surely better, sd4 is more friendly to use for daily grap and go purpose using mobile phone.

Sd4 is generally a very fair all rounder. Some people may find sd2 more suitable and "balance" as they think sd4 has too much bass. This is very subjective.

Sd4 is not without "weakness". While it is smooth and balance, its instrument separateness and analytical capability is not as good as those top notch 10-12 drivers, and its incremental quality is not as obvious when using even much better amp and players.

Feb 23, 2016 at 6:37 PM Post #243 of 341

When k3003 is being fully driven using deck amp, it has more to offer than sd4 and most ba iems. It has a superb sound stage but it  is better to play instrumental tracks rather than pop and vocal. Its bass is not enough using balance filter and not meaty at all for bass lovers using bass filter on most portable players. It is exceptionally good on light music and piano music and being unbeatable.....

Feb 24, 2016 at 8:56 AM Post #244 of 341

When k3003 is being fully driven using deck amp, it has more to offer than sd4 and most ba iems. It has a superb sound stage but it  is better to play instrumental tracks rather than pop and vocal. Its bass is not enough using balance filter and not meaty at all for bass lovers using bass filter on most portable players. It is exceptionally good on light music and piano music and being unbeatable.....

Current owner of sd4 and previous owner of k3003 (no experience in fibass).

I think the sd4 is exactly what you need as described. It is not overly clinical, is smooth and balance, easy to drive to its potential even with mobile phone, satisfactory sound stage performance, and has meaty bass punch. Although I own both noble k10u and sd4 but I found I use sd4 more. While k10u is surely better, sd4 is more friendly to use for daily grap and go purpose using mobile phone.

Sd4 is generally a very fair all rounder. Some people may find sd2 more suitable and "balance" as they think sd4 has too much bass. This is very subjective.

Sd4 is not without "weakness". While it is smooth and balance, its instrument separateness and analytical capability is not as good as those top notch 10-12 drivers, and its incremental quality is not as obvious when using even much better amp and players.

thanks loads fb24601for your input

to make things more perplexed, Ι would throw in the equation the IQ pro which i recently owned and ask if sd4 is at all comparable to it, as i would not be interested to go for a pair that is similar signature wise, as a side grade or marginal upgrade (although it's my current jogging bud and really quite enjoy)

after all, new things in life do have their place and once you get to know them, you find their strengths (and weaknesses) - this goes for the austrian one...access to it is quite steep at 950 Euro so just lingering on to that...
rolleyes.gif

Feb 24, 2016 at 4:19 PM Post #245 of 341
Hello guys, I recently purchased a pair of SD2 and I could say I'm happy with the overall sound quality. The problem is I find the highs to be too prominent, too "sssss" sounding. I tried all the stock tips but the problem remains. What could I do? Are there tips on the market that could help decrease this sort of hiss? It's like the drum's charleston is always on top...

Feb 24, 2016 at 5:33 PM Post #246 of 341
Hello guys, I recently purchased a pair of SD2 and I could say I'm happy with the overall sound quality. The problem is I find the highs to be too prominent, too "sssss" sounding. I tried all the stock tips but the problem remains. What could I do? Are there tips on the market that could help decrease this sort of hiss? It's like the drum's charleston is always on top...

This is a rare complaint with SD2, since their treble is actually recessed. Probable causes are:
- You may be using a source with a high output impedance. In this case you could try another source or a dedicated amp. Doesn't need to be fancy, just something with an output impedance around 1 ohm or below.
- It might be your ear canal resonance. Other tips might help. If not, you may want to try parametric EQ. In my experience this helps a lot.

Feb 24, 2016 at 7:04 PM Post #247 of 341
This is a rare complaint with SD2, since their treble is actually recessed. Probable causes are:
- You may be using a source with a high output impedance. In this case you could try another source or a dedicated amp. Doesn't need to be fancy, just something with an output impedance around 1 ohm or below.
- It might be your ear canal resonance. Other tips might help. If not, you may want to try parametric EQ. In my experience this helps a lot.

I use a Fiio X5II as player, its output impedance is 0.2 ohm. Do you know which tips could be appropriate?

Feb 24, 2016 at 8:56 PM Post #248 of 341

Heya, welcome to the SD2 club! I have been using the SD2s (with my Fiio x3ii) for almost a year now without any ssss sounding. I am currently using the JVC Spiral Dots which really brings out the best in the iems as compared to Comply Tips or Spin Fits. But using all these tips mentioned (including the stock tips), there wasn't any ssss sound.

I hope changing to different tips would help resolve issue! (cross fingers if it's a driver issue 
frown.gif
)

Feb 25, 2016 at 3:06 AM Post #249 of 341
Heya, welcome to the SD2 club! I have been using the SD2s (with my Fiio x3ii) for almost a year now without any ssss sounding. I am currently using the JVC Spiral Dots which really brings out the best in the iems as compared to Comply Tips or Spin Fits. But using all these tips mentioned (including the stock tips), there wasn't any ssss sound.

I hope changing to different tips would help resolve issue! (cross fingers if it's a driver issue :frowning2: )

Really hope it's not a driver problem, but I think I would have only one driver with the issue, not both. I just wrote to Inear, let's see what they'll answer. It's really boring to have that problem after paying these much money!

Feb 25, 2016 at 9:09 AM Post #250 of 341
Inear replied that they never had any case of harshness or sibilance in sound. Since both earbuds have the same problem, I guess it's to do with the fit or the tips. I don't know how a tip could decrease such amount of harshness in highs. Maybe I am used to the sound of the Shure SE425, with less highs. Boys this sound is fatiguing!

Feb 25, 2016 at 2:05 PM Post #251 of 341
Inear replied that they never had any case of harshness or sibilance in sound. Since both earbuds have the same problem, I guess it's to do with the fit or the tips. I don't know how a tip could decrease such amount of harshness in highs. Maybe I am used to the sound of the Shure SE425, with less highs. Boys this sound is fatiguing!

Seriously? For me SE42 have has more highs and are more prone to harshness and sibilance than SD2! SD2 are actually what I use to relax, since they are the least fatiguing.

I could imagine that foam tips might have a dampening effect on the resonance. But it might be just that - my imagination. Longer silicone tips may shift the resonance to a higher frequency. I have no real experience with that. I tried a lot of tips with SD2, but had not your problem to begin with. I use parametric EQ to tame such problems, when they arise. It's not a real cure, but it helps reliably nonetheless. Probably not an option with your X5ii, though.

Are you sure there is nothing in your chain that adds resistance? You use SD2 with the stock cable plugged directly into X5ii? SD2 have a massive impedance swing around 7 kHz. Any additional resistance would emphasize that frequency area.

Feb 25, 2016 at 2:59 PM Post #252 of 341
Seriously? For me SE42 have has more highs and are more prone to harshness and sibilance than SD2! SD2 are actually what I use to relax, since they are the least fatiguing.

I could imagine that foam tips might have a dampening effect on the resonance. But it might be just that - my imagination. Longer silicone tips may shift the resonance to a higher frequency. I have no real experience with that. I tried a lot of tips with SD2, but had not your problem to begin with. I use parametric EQ to tame such problems, when they arise. It's not a real cure, but it helps reliably nonetheless. Probably not an option with your X5ii, though.

Are you sure there is nothing in your chain that adds resistance? You use SD2 with the stock cable plugged directly into X5ii? SD2 have a massive impedance swing around 7 kHz. Any additional resistance would emphasize that frequency area.

Yes, I use the SD2 with the black stock cable connected directly to the X5II. If you say so about the Shure SE425, i can imagine that is a problem with the tips or my ear canal resonance. Just ordered Comply foam tips t-400 (isolation model); hope something will change.

Feb 25, 2016 at 6:02 PM Post #253 of 341

thanks loads fb24601for your input

to make things more perplexed, Ι would throw in the equation the IQ pro which i recently owned and ask if sd4 is at all comparable to it, as i would not be interested to go for a pair that is similar signature wise, as a side grade or marginal upgrade (although it's my current jogging bud and really quite enjoy)

after all, new things in life do have their place and once you get to know them, you find their strengths (and weaknesses) - this goes for the austrian one...access to it is quite steep at 950 Euro so just lingering on to that...
rolleyes.gif

No experience in IQ pro. But you can search comment on the IQ pro thread, I'll guess sd4 > IQ pro and is more smooth and balance overall.

Feb 26, 2016 at 4:33 AM Post #254 of 341
Hello guys, just arrived the Comply Foam t-400 tips (thanks amazon). The treble has lowered enough to let me say I'm happy now. No more harshness. No more sibilance. Incredible. Thanks everyone!

Feb 26, 2016 at 6:01 AM Post #255 of 341
Hello guys, just arrived the Comply Foam t-400 tips (thanks amazon). The treble has lowered enough to let me say I'm happy now. No more harshness. No more sibilance. Incredible. Thanks everyone!

Hey, glad to hear that the change in tips to Complys helped to alleviate the harshness and sibilance!
etysmile.gif

If you are looking to further enhance the musicality of SD2s, do give copper cables a try hehe

Users who are viewing this thread

Back