[Review] Indeed G3 Modded Hybrid Tube Amp
Mar 12, 2013 at 10:12 PM Post #16 of 40
Quote:
I hear ya on the time thing. Got a 13 yr old daughter...nuff said 
wink_face.gif
 The crack comes with 2 tubes, a 6080 driver tube, I have a tung-sol 5998, and a 12au7. I'm gonna put in a switch for 6v tubes also but 1 thing at a time LOL. I love the way the crack looks but that's just me
beyersmile.png
 Plus it's an OTL amp. I have a fournier hta 2 with 2 1948 5814 matched ken rads in it. It's def smoove
 Thanks again for the review.
Best,
Mop

Indeed also... AUDIOPHILE dad... omg I hope to start that thread in like 6 years! I want 3 daughters :D and THEY MUST FOLLOW THE AUDIOPHILE PATH, or at least one will hopefully! 

YOU MUST TELL ME MOAR

Mar 12, 2013 at 10:40 PM Post #17 of 40
Quote:
Indeed also... AUDIOPHILE dad... omg I hope to start that thread in like 6 years! I want 3 daughters :D and THEY MUST FOLLOW THE AUDIOPHILE PATH, or at least one will hopefully! 

YOU MUST TELL ME MOAR

Audiophile Dad! Fantastic!  3? My word, I can barely handle 1 HA! Unfortunately muh daughter loves her skullcandy and strictly in ear. But since she's family I allow it 
tongue_smile.gif
 I figure one day she'll figure it out. She's listened to all my best gear but doesn't care for it
blink.gif
 Hopefully you'll have better luck :)

Mar 12, 2013 at 11:16 PM Post #18 of 40
Quote:
Audiophile Dad! Fantastic!  3? My word, I can barely handle 1 HA! Unfortunately muh daughter loves her skullcandy and strictly in ear. But since she's family I allow it 
tongue_smile.gif
 I figure one day she'll figure it out. She's listened to all my best gear but doesn't care for it
blink.gif
 Hopefully you'll have better luck :)

yea who knows, and I'ma family kinda guy. I got my dt 880s because I "thought a friend would dig em more than xb1000s] and thankfully the dt 880s r my new FAV

still she might get into it... it's a thing you have to train your ears for. I'm a cullinary student so DETAILS are my lifes work, and I used to draw so again details details! 

Mar 29, 2013 at 9:21 AM Post #19 of 40
I got one about a month ago, and I'm wondering if theres a hack I can do, because the sound doesn't seem balanced, the left channel is weaker than the right / the sound isn't centered. I've adjusted the bias using a multi-meter and they are both the same value, but that doesn't help.

Thanks!

Apr 9, 2013 at 11:10 AM Post #20 of 40
Quote:
I got one about a month ago, and I'm wondering if theres a hack I can do, because the sound doesn't seem balanced, the left channel is weaker than the right / the sound isn't centered. I've adjusted the bias using a multi-meter and they are both the same value, but that doesn't help.

Thanks!

Making both triodes the same voltage only works if the emissions are perfectly balanced. I've been fooling around with these little amps for 4 years and unless you have an O-scope, you must balance by ear after you've found the voltage range that gives you a strong, clear sound out of each channel. If anyone tells you to make the voltage 13.5V on both triodes to bias balance the tube, they don't know what they are doing. I've seen tubes that needed 16V+ on a side to "balance" with ~13V on the other side.

If the left side is weak, increase the voltage on that side until the level sounds approximately as strong as the right side. This should also "center" the sound, if what you are listening to was recorded as having such. You could also just have lowered the right side's voltage, but that would probably degrade the sound as well as lower the signal level.

Old radios that used tubes of this nature had to be "tweaked" by their operator to get a decent sound. One of the things they would check was the glow from the tube and how bright it was. They didn't have voltmeters, but they had their eyes and ears. If it sounds right, good or proper to your ears, leave it alone. If it doesn't, keep tweaking. My advice is to increase the left channel's triode voltage til the sound sounds balanced to your ears.

The stated voltage level for a tube is a reference point not an absolute value... 

Apr 13, 2013 at 5:15 AM Post #21 of 40
Quote:
Making both triodes the same voltage only works if the emissions are perfectly balanced. I've been fooling around with these little amps for 4 years and unless you have an O-scope, you must balance by ear after you've found the voltage range that gives you a strong, clear sound out of each channel. If anyone tells you to make the voltage 13.5V on both triodes to bias balance the tube, they don't know what they are doing. I've seen tubes that needed 16V+ on a side to "balance" with ~13V on the other side.

If the left side is weak, increase the voltage on that side until the level sounds approximately as strong as the right side. This should also "center" the sound, if what you are listening to was recorded as having such. You could also just have lowered the right side's voltage, but that would probably degrade the sound as well as lower the signal level.

Old radios that used tubes of this nature had to be "tweaked" by their operator to get a decent sound. One of the things they would check was the glow from the tube and how bright it was. They didn't have voltmeters, but they had their eyes and ears. If it sounds right, good or proper to your ears, leave it alone. If it doesn't, keep tweaking. My advice is to increase the left channel's triode voltage til the sound sounds balanced to your ears.

The stated voltage level for a tube is a reference point not an absolute value... 

Love the old trust your eye's and ears addage there, it's funny how that seeps into a lot of thing. Like cooking, so many factors will take your desired product away from the pre established mesaureing point...

non the less still enjoying mine, hope you get oyur's working like it should soon!  

Apr 15, 2013 at 10:36 AM Post #22 of 40
Thanks for the replies guys, I have definitely tried to calibrate and balance by ear, but no matter how I turn the bias adjustments, it will not center.

Adjusting the left and right bias, I'm able to change outputs slightly and reduce distortion and other unwanted effects, but at the optimal combination I could hear, still has the balance not centered. Could this be a problem somewhere else along the chain? Perhaps the 6.3 mm output jack?

Apr 15, 2013 at 4:53 PM Post #23 of 40
I finally got my g3 back from peter and after 3 hrs it went dead AGAIN!!! I'm $150 into this amp now and he wants me to pay another $30 to ship it back. Do yourself a favor and buy a project sunrise 2. better build, better everything. Peter is a good guy but his amp is junk.
What you're describing jkilla is exactly what mine did the first time and I had to return it. Don't waste too much time on this. I have a modded bravo v2 that I trust more than these amps...just my opinion

Apr 16, 2013 at 11:36 PM Post #24 of 40
Quote:
I finally got my g3 back from peter and after 3 hrs it went dead AGAIN!!! I'm $150 into this amp now and he wants me to pay another $30 to ship it back. Do yourself a favor and buy a project sunrise 2. better build, better everything. Peter is a good guy but his amp is junk.
What you're describing jkilla is exactly what mine did the first time and I had to return it. Don't waste too much time on this. I have a modded bravo v2 that I trust more than these amps...just my opinion

yea the sodering compnenets are pretty shifty. Still mine doesn't move much and the only issue I have with it is the soder in the Rca in's an easy fix for me. But TRULEY if you on a super budget these are a steal for $100, for the price of the SUnrise [around $200 or so] you start getting into the territory of used LIttle Dot Mk's and what not so DON't RUSH into a Sunrise as for $100+ there are a lot of options but for Sub $100 the Indeed is the best I've seen. The Bravos have scarier horror stories than the indeeds, so you get what you pay for. I've read of Bravo's well exploding and ruining cans, on it's worst day it seems all the indeed will do is stop working lol

but this is a solution and positive thread. let's not fill it with creepy pasta! 

Apr 17, 2013 at 6:34 PM Post #25 of 40
  Yeah yeah ur right Mshenay. I'm just angered at the moment cuz this little amp is gettin expensive. I do think a person is better off forkin over a little extra dough for more quality. Just my opinion tho. The 10 hrs or so I heard the g3 i did enjoy it, I won't lie that fun button is,well, fun lol. I'll prob send it back to peter but I'm seriously dreading it. Takes about a month there and back :frowning2:
  O and sorry bout the creepy pasta 
wink_face.gif
lol

Apr 17, 2013 at 6:38 PM Post #26 of 40
Quote:
  Yeah yeah ur right Mshenay. I'm just angered at the moment cuz this little amp is gettin expensive. I do think a person is better off forkin over a little extra dough for more quality. Just my opinion tho. The 10 hrs or so I heard the g3 i did enjoy it, I won't lie that fun button is,well, fun lol. I'll prob send it back to peter but I'm seriously dreading it. Takes about a month there and back :frowning2:
  O and sorry bout the creepy pasta 
wink_face.gif
lol

Oh yea other than resoddering the pick ups, I don't want to spend any money on the amp since it's not worth fixing really xD but that fun button really is a nice feature! 

Apr 24, 2013 at 8:06 PM Post #27 of 40
  I ordered a clone of this amp called little bear. Read about it in the bravo v2 thread. Looks very promising especially at $50 brand new. I'll have to swap out the mosfets, change caps, resistors. But I enjoy tinkering with these hybrids. Only drawback is no fun button. Plan on doing a write up but with my schedule who knows :wink:

Apr 24, 2013 at 8:07 PM Post #28 of 40
Quote:
  I ordered a clone of this amp called little bear. Read about it in the bravo v2 thread. Looks very promising especially at $50 brand new. I'll have to swap out the mosfets, change caps, resistors. But I enjoy tinkering with these hybrids. Only drawback is no fun button. Plan on doing a write up but with my schedule who knows :wink:

Hey Stupidmop, unfortunately the one that I have that's giving me issues is the Little Bear one. Hopefully your unit doesn't have the same problem as mine!

Apr 25, 2013 at 9:19 PM Post #29 of 40
   I hope so too! But for $50 I ordered it to mod :) All these amps (indeed,muse,bravo,little bear) are similar, based on same design I think. I've completely desoldered and re-populated my V2, gonna take it all the way with the rockgrotto mods. Just ordered this to tinker with while I wait on Peter to fix my G3, but thanks a bunch for the heads up!

Reguarding your amp, maybe bad pots. I've had several fail on me, till I started buying bournes trim pots :) Could be resistor. Also maybe the LM317s? They feed current to the L/R channel on tube me thinks. But don't start making changes based on my opinions tho:p. I try stuff I shouldn't and am not the most knowledgeable.

How long ago did you buy the amp? maybe seller will stand behind it? Never know. Peter from indeed has been trying to get me a functioning amp since the new year! He stands behind his product but unfortunately he doesn't sell this amp(his g2 is similar tho,almost identical).

My Project Sunrise 2 has really been a pleasant surprise.I absolutely love it. Easy to build, unmatched quality in price range(haven't built my bottlehead crack tho), many convenient features like side accessible jumpers and easy led bias adjustment, and no quality issues and if there are, Jeremy will be very quick to help remedy! I know from first hand experience. Also very easy to put together even for a novice. I'm starting to sound like an advertisement so I'm gonna stop :)

Hope you get your issue resolved. Good Luck!
Best,
Mop

Apr 25, 2013 at 10:08 PM Post #30 of 40
Craving for tube amp and only can afford entry level so I decided to get G3 with 12AU7-EH tube and burning it now..
I love the design (I always have something for the open design). So far so good. 
The bass booster really interesting, it does make good extension for some music and worsen for some other. Overall great stuff.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back