[Review] Indeed G3 Modded Hybrid Tube Amp
Apr 26, 2013 at 1:34 PM Post #31 of 40
Quote:
Craving for tube amp and only can afford entry level so I decided to get G3 with 12AU7-EH tube and burning it now..
I love the design (I always have something for the open design). So far so good. 
The bass booster really interesting, it does make good extension for some music and worsen for some other. Overall great stuff.

yea the bass boost is my favorite feature, I only use my Indeed for EDM as my EDM cans are all High Impedance, other wise it has to much gain for non FUN listening lol 

Apr 27, 2013 at 8:17 AM Post #32 of 40
yea the bass boost is my favorite feature, I only use my Indeed for EDM as my EDM cans are all High Impedance, other wise it has to much gain for non FUN listening lol 

yeah, too much gain indeed. bcause I don't have any high impedance headphone yet so i keep the source volume a bit low on G3.

May 7, 2013 at 9:58 AM Post #33 of 40
Peter cut me a deal on a new G3, sans tube... It's at the Post Office. Christmas in May!

Edit: I haven't listened more than an hour, but it is a nice amp and it's easily worth what I paid. I've already started to look at swapping out capacitors on it. Physical space will be an issue, but I can use the bottom of the PCB, if I need to do so.

My Frankenamp modded G2 is much more sonically spacious than the stock G3 and the individual components of the sound seem more precise and distinct, too. This is from a tube by tube comparison on both amps with the same tracks and same headphones (Superlux HD681).

I really like the volume control on the G3, but not so much the jumper for 6/12 selection. The former is elegant in operation, while the latter is a step back from the G2's selector switch. I know it was done from a space & simplicity consideration, but still...

My G3 is a well-built, solid little amp.

May 8, 2013 at 5:09 PM Post #34 of 40
Glad you like yours. Mine not getting much use any more. my whiplash hybrid sounds better has and has opitional gain. I've recently been very happy with my EDM without the G3's bass boost... I guess it's too bassy for me now lol! But mine's not NEARLY as nice as yours Buff. I might sink some work into my for fun! 

May 9, 2013 at 1:01 PM Post #35 of 40
Quote:
I've recently been very happy with my EDM without the G3's bass boost... I guess it's too bassy for me now lol! But mine's not NEARLY as nice as yours Buff. I might sink some work into my for fun! 

My current modded FrankenAmp is a G2. It's an ugly babe and I've decided not to change anything on it, unless I must replace a component. I do have a trim pot that's a little funky...

I have another G2 that's a virgin. Never been used or even had a tube in it. I may mod it as soon as I redo my electronics workbench. I have my FrankenAmp as a guide, but I am going to play with cap values and types on it.

My new G3 will be modded down the road; this fall probably, or winter. Not a lot of top-side space in most areas of the PCB, so I'll be looking in the basement for some room. Taking my time, researching specs, etc., etc.

If you have the time and soldering skills, you owe it to yourself to tinker with your dormant G3. Change a few caps, here and there, and you may be greatly surprised by your sonic results... Oh! And a good Voskhod 6n23p for your "test tube" can change your mind about which amp gets used, or put in a drawer.

Sep 8, 2014 at 11:28 PM Post #36 of 40
R.i.p Indeed G3, sadly it's still selling at like $120, for which I think the Schiit Vali is a much better buy at that price

still though, always nice to see what I used to listen to xD

Sep 18, 2014 at 7:27 PM Post #37 of 40
  R.i.p Indeed G3, sadly it's still selling at like $120, for which I think the Schiit Vali is a much better buy at that price

still though, always nice to see what I used to listen to xD

Make new friends, but keep the old...
    The first is silver; the latter - gold.

What to do, what to do???

Sep 18, 2014 at 11:20 PM Post #38 of 40
  Make new friends, but keep the old...
    The first is silver; the latter - gold.

What to do, what to do???

Take 4 Indeeds and form them into some kinda of crazy Balanced amp maybe lol 

Mar 16, 2016 at 11:03 PM Post #39 of 40
Is anybody still using this amp? Not much chatter about it here. I got mine on ebay for $60 with the Electo Harmonix tube. I am a noob but paired with my Micca OriGen dac it sounds pretty impressive to me. I bought a RCA clear top tube used off Ebay for $8 plugged it in and it sounded even better. Well today I decided to adjust the bias. Oh man it was way off. I set it to 13.5 volts per side and wow! This thing really came to life!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back