[REVIEW] Hippo VB: Bassy, Bassier, Bassiest!
Jul 9, 2012 at 2:16 PM Post #62 of 117
Quote:
Alright I just ordered mine off eBay for $79.00, I'll post a mini-review/impression on this thread as soon as I get them!

I look forward to what you have to say!

Jul 15, 2012 at 3:37 AM Post #63 of 117
Well, I got the hippos... Everyone's reviews might have over-hyped my expectations of them.  However, I can't give them a full-fair-review until I get my L9 LOD cable for my Fiio Amp.  I've been using the 3.5mm -to- 3.5mm jack, and recently found out I was dumb.  L9 cable comes soon, I'll amp up the hippos and break them in in the meantime.  They have a lot of bass, but I really feel like that's the sole trait of these iems.  Everything else just seems utterly lost within the rolling bass.

Is thundering bass exactly what I asked for? Yes.

Am I quickly realizing that headphones aren't all about raging hard chest-thumping bass? Yes.

I like my Klipsch S4s more than these right now =( 
Let's try them again after 48 hrs of burn in break in and the new LOD L9 cable =)

Jul 15, 2012 at 3:55 AM Post #64 of 117
Well, I got the hippos... Everyone's reviews might have over-hyped my expectations of them.  However, I can't give them a full-fair-review until I get my L9 LOD cable for my Fiio Amp.  I've been using the 3.5mm -to- 3.5mm jack, and recently found out I was dumb.  L9 cable comes soon, I'll amp up the hippos and break them in in the meantime.  They have a lot of bass, but I really feel like that's the sole trait of these iems.  Everything else just seems utterly lost within the rolling bass.

Am I quickly realizing that headphones aren't all about raging hard chest-thumping bass? Yes.

Let's try them again after 48 hrs of burn in break in and the new LOD L9 cable =)

What bass plates are you using? Sounds like you have the no dot plates on which come stock out of the box. You should have the two dot plates on which evens the sound out somewhat. Pretty much, this is bass at it's extreme limits, once you amp Hippo VB with something like an E11 you're not going to get much more bass from an IEM, Not that I know of anyway. (yes even including Atrio) *avoids fanboys*

With bass comes 'some' bleeding into mid range frequency's, it's the price we pay when taking things to the extreme..

..into... the unknown. :wink:

Jul 15, 2012 at 4:14 AM Post #65 of 117

Hi,

Nice to hear you got them.

First thins first until you get the LOD I would just drive from source as amping twice sometimes sounds worse so for that reason it may kill sound a tad.

More Importantly however, what plates are you using. They are all about bass without dots but you use two or three dots and bass is still crazy but everything else is a lot better.

Again these are about the bass, look at my review and even the title. If you wanted something else I may have changed what I told you to get. However burn in will have a great effect as will changing the plates and you will end up being impressed I think. Another thing worth trying is changing tips. I like ultimate ears tips on them.

Jul 15, 2012 at 10:22 PM Post #66 of 117
if i'm not wrong, they mess up the printing a bit, as the box shown that 3 dots is the strongest bass, actually it is the weakest.
Try 2 dots, it is by far the most balance and enjoyable level, you get great bass handling and tight punch, with decent level and good sound stage. 

Jul 15, 2012 at 11:10 PM Post #67 of 117
if i'm not wrong, they mess up the printing a bit, as the box shown that 3 dots is the strongest bass, actually it is the weakest.

Try 2 dots, it is by far the most balance and enjoyable level, you get great bass handling and tight punch, with decent level and good sound stage. 

Yes, I can confirm the graph on the box is backwards.

This is how it works.

3 dot = least
2dot = more
1 dot = most.

Jul 16, 2012 at 6:51 AM Post #69 of 117
Quote:

Do you know what i think. Smogg PMed me saying he could get a cheap pair of ebay so i reckon that these are likely one of the original versions so if you had paid the $10 extra and gone with Jaben you would have what we all have which not only has been made to sound better but also has a better build. That or they are fake.

Jul 16, 2012 at 7:15 AM Post #70 of 117
He PM'd me also, I told him to go through Jaben as the worry of fakes on ebay isn't worth it. From my understanding that ebay seller (who is the only one selling VB on ebay) has had that listing up before I had mine, which was many months ago. I'd be almost certain Swim is correct in saying they're the earlier version before everything was revised. Or yes they're fake. Because I just never heard them the way Smogg is saying.

Edit: I do remember speaking to that seller when I was looking for VB and he told me his do come with a warranty. I think Smogg would be best of contacting Jaben, sending those ones back (if Jaben accepts them and they're not fake) and getting a replacement as they will sure to be the revised model on exchanging.

Jul 16, 2012 at 8:13 AM Post #71 of 117
Quote:
He PM'd me also, I told him to go through Jaben as the worry of fakes on ebay isn't worth it. From my understanding that ebay seller (who is the only one selling VB on ebay) has had that listing up before I had mine, which was many months ago. I'd be almost certain Swim is correct in saying they're the earlier version before everything was revised. Or yes they're fake. Because I just never heard them the way Smogg is saying.
Edit: I do remember speaking to that seller when I was looking for VB and he told me his do come with a warranty. I think Smogg would be best of contacting Jaben, sending those ones back (if Jaben accepts them and they're not fake) and getting a replacement as they will sure to be the revised model on exchanging.

Yeh, the build quality thing rung the most bells. Should have just gone with Jaben.

Yeh he could try that. And no we did not play no sick trick, these were the best recommendations for your criteria.

Jul 17, 2012 at 6:11 AM Post #73 of 117
Quote:
Will it because of the older version?
i heard they have a version changed.
1st version and 3rd version (current) will be the best sounding, while the 2nd is more emphasize on bass. 

Yes that is what we was saying.
He likley has the 2nd version then!

Jul 19, 2012 at 4:50 PM Post #74 of 117
Compare to the first post from Swimsonny, you can see the different between the clip, plug, and the cord thingy (whatever that's called).

This is from eBay that sell the VB.  

Jul 19, 2012 at 4:58 PM Post #75 of 117
Quote:
Compare to the first post from Swimsonny, you can see the different between the clip, plug, and the cord thingy (whatever that's called).

This is from eBay that sell the VB.  

Wow, thanks for this post. I just checked the listing and it is also advertised Hippo VB - Variable Base. So Bass is spelt wrong which is well, wrong haha. These are all very different parts, in fact the jack looks nicer and the strain relief and cable look slightly different perhaps. Maybe a newer version (unlikely) but these do not look like things that have been improved on so therefore not an old version although the only really explanation. I really doubt fakes but you do not know. This is weird.

EDIT: The ebay seller is also the website uncle wilson and i think i remember reading they are related to Jaben but could be wrong!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back