[REVIEW] hippo cricri: A Handful of Energy!
Nov 8, 2012 at 2:04 PM Post #17 of 23
Hey Swimsonny,
How do you find this paired with the 4.Ai? And 3.Ai? (I don't know if you have tried the 3.Ai)

Would this be a worthwhile upgrade to a E11? Thanks in advance 

Nov 8, 2012 at 2:10 PM Post #18 of 23
Hey,

This is the amp I use with my 4.Ai if I am on the go and i love how they sound together, it's magical as far as I am concerned. E11 uses same Opamps as my E17 and that's more of a course warm sound, I prefer the cricri but that just how i like it, more neutral and a tad on the bright side, I am not sure if its and upgrade amp but they soud different and for the price I'd go for one, or its probably with something as a free gift at Jaben. On purchaee ask for a crossroads ed1 LOD if you do go ahead as its awesomely built!

Nov 8, 2012 at 10:15 PM Post #19 of 23
Thanks swim for the response. It sounds like something worth trying. I look on the Jaben website and only see the cricri sold together in a bundle with the hippo biscuit which also intrigues me

Nov 9, 2012 at 6:11 PM Post #20 of 23
Quote:
Thanks swim for the response. It sounds like something worth trying. I look on the Jaben website and only see the cricri sold together in a bundle with the hippo biscuit which also intrigues me

I have the biscuit as well with a review on the way. It sounds great for the price and its tiny size is really handy when i can not carry much and i just stick a few WAV albums on a micro SD and am out the door. I just wish it supported FLAC!

Dec 27, 2012 at 11:41 AM Post #21 of 23
I was in Singapore a few days ago, at Jaben, in fact, and I tried the Hippo Cricri there - to my ears, it sounded very nice, and effectively enhanced my IE80s.

However, I have already ordered and shipped the FiiO E11, and will be picking it up in about 3 weeks (on vacation now). I haven't heard it yet, but I was intending to use the E11 to drive my headphones, which are all portable, low-impedance 'phones as of now.

Having read a little bit about the Cricri, should I buy it as well as my E11, or will the E11 do for my portable and IEM needs? Both are intended for mobile use, so I wonder if this is a better portable amp.

Finally, I'm planning on getting 250-ohm Beyer DT770s next year. I'm sure the E11s will drive them just fine, from what I've read, but will the Cricri?

Dec 29, 2012 at 3:09 AM Post #22 of 23
Thanks for the review. Trying to puzzle my way through truly portable headphone amps and DAC/amp combos. Looking, of course, at Fiio offerings. Driving Sennheiser HD438s currently. That's easy; impedance is 32 ohms. But want HD600s with their 300 ohms when cash/price ratio right. Amplification there will be another story.

Criteria are battery operation either replaceable or rechargeable, potentiometer actually preferably the stepped kind and of course neutral high-end sonic quality. Got filet mignon taste and chopped meat wallet. Hee hee.

Dec 29, 2012 at 5:57 AM Post #23 of 23
Quote:
I was in Singapore a few days ago, at Jaben, in fact, and I tried the Hippo Cricri there - to my ears, it sounded very nice, and effectively enhanced my IE80s.

However, I have already ordered and shipped the FiiO E11, and will be picking it up in about 3 weeks (on vacation now). I haven't heard it yet, but I was intending to use the E11 to drive my headphones, which are all portable, low-impedance 'phones as of now.

Having read a little bit about the Cricri, should I buy it as well as my E11, or will the E11 do for my portable and IEM needs? Both are intended for mobile use, so I wonder if this is a better portable amp.

Finally, I'm planning on getting 250-ohm Beyer DT770s next year. I'm sure the E11s will drive them just fine, from what I've read, but will the Cricri?

I do not have the E11, but the E17 uses the same amp. The Fiio is slightly warm and the cricri leaning towards more cold so they do compliment each other very well. They will do well with different things. If you like the cricri then go for it! I doubt itr would drive the Beyer though.
Quote:
Thanks for the review. Trying to puzzle my way through truly portable headphone amps and DAC/amp combos. Looking, of course, at Fiio offerings. Driving Sennheiser HD438s currently. That's easy; impedance is 32 ohms. But want HD600s with their 300 ohms when cash/price ratio right. Amplification there will be another story.

Criteria are battery operation either replaceable or rechargeable, potentiometer actually preferably the stepped kind and of course neutral high-end sonic quality. Got filet mignon taste and chopped meat wallet. Hee hee.

HD600 are hard to driver and even harder to driver well. None of Fiios options would be worth while nor will the cricri be. I would get the Objective 2 with DAC inside or the two new Schiit units which i have not tried but have heard they perform!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back