[REVIEW] HifiMan RE400 ‘Waterline’ – The New Reference
Oct 23, 2013 at 12:58 AM Post #588 of 781
just to add to everyone else, no sibilance...they have laid back treble, i personally boost it on the e17

Nov 1, 2013 at 2:13 PM Post #591 of 781
Just upgraded to these from some really cheap headphones I bought after my last pair of nice headphones broke 2 years ago, and even before burning these things in they are proving to be exponentially better than anything I've used before. The separation between the bass and everything else is what stands out the most to me. I have no idea how people can complain about these being light on bass, because even compared to headphones with over powering bass, what you get with these is far more rich, and manages to shine through constantly instead of just muddying up the track whenever you get to a particularly bass heavy part. Really looking forward to hearing what these things sound like with another day of burn-in.

Nov 5, 2013 at 11:58 PM Post #592 of 781
  Just upgraded to these from some really cheap headphones I bought after my last pair of nice headphones broke 2 years ago, and even before burning these things in they are proving to be exponentially better than anything I've used before. The separation between the bass and everything else is what stands out the most to me. I have no idea how people can complain about these being light on bass, because even compared to headphones with over powering bass, what you get with these is far more rich, and manages to shine through constantly instead of just muddying up the track whenever you get to a particularly bass heavy part. Really looking forward to hearing what these things sound like with another day of burn-in.

Honestly they have great bass, whats there is textured and accurate. These things are fantastic for everything ive put through them. Honestly if you havnt yet, try some diy tips, or the comply ts400s. DO NOT us the lesser complys that are available at target and the likes, i think its s400? or something like that. I tried them side by side with the ts400s, and the comfort is there, but the sound gets all screwy. The diy tips done right and the ts400s to me sound amazing with these, they just let the sound come through without distorting or changing anything major.

Nov 7, 2013 at 7:05 AM Post #593 of 781
Hi guys,

Currently I'm looking for IEM that can replace my current MEElectronic A151 IEM.
May I know is RE-400 a suitable substitute?

Right now I'm using sansa chip+ and flac/320kbps music file.

Thanks in advance.

Nov 7, 2013 at 7:12 AM Post #594 of 781

The RE400s are generally considered bass light in comparison especially in the mid bass. I almost threw them away and thought they sounded quite tinny and hollow until I found the right tips to use even then it doesn't sound great from all sources. They sound a mess out of my DX50 and my PB2. I've strictly got them only used via the iphone 4s which I think make them shine

Nov 7, 2013 at 10:45 AM Post #595 of 781
  Hi guys,

Currently I'm looking for IEM that can replace my current MEElectronic A151 IEM.

Thanks in advance.

Based on the description/review by joker on the A151 (as I've not heard them myself) I think the RE-400 sounds like a good upgrade.  I can confirm that they sound great right out of a Clip+.  I'd suggest checking out the review for the A151, then the RE-ZERO review (which he uses quite a bit as comparison) and then the RE-400 review (which also uses the RE-ZERO since it is of the previous generation) to get an idea of what changes / benefits to expect:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/478568/multi-iem-review-301-iems-compared-custom-art-music-one-added-10-28-13-p-796

Nov 7, 2013 at 12:25 PM Post #596 of 781
Does anyone else have experience with re400s + dx50s? I've read some disconcerting things, like the re400s sound better out of an ipod than the dx50.

Has anyone tried them together + an additional amp or anything? I have both of these coming in the mail and I really hope they'll fit the bill...

Nov 7, 2013 at 1:02 PM Post #597 of 781
  Hi guys,

Thanks in advance.

The A151 is an IEM that really lacks in treble in my mind.  The RE400 is a good upgrade from it, as is the A161.  

Nov 7, 2013 at 2:09 PM Post #598 of 781
It was me and I think one other on the DX50 thread that didn't like the RE400 DX50 combo. I don't know why but the DX50 doesn't improve the SQ like it does all my other IEMs for me.

Nov 12, 2013 at 9:31 PM Post #600 of 781
probably the wrong thread to post this but i'm saying this to any re400s owners that want a little more on that low end its the vsonic be your looking for.

just got a used pair for 100$CAD wow the re400s are fantastic at the price, its just the cable that has me so worried.

i accident dropped my ipod while running with the re400s on. (i wear them over the ear) the seal was so good that they stayed in but i tugged the cable. I was in immediate shock thinking the cable would short out, the sound was gone i was about to cry right there

but then i realized the lod cable connecting my amp to my ipod popped out, and i just connected it again

everything is okay again! huge relief!

but still the cable issue and just the feel of the cable on the re400s is my biggest concern

but their so practical (easy to insert, cable down or over ear) the fabric cable is a bit annoying though they kink so easily. i have disconnect it from my fi00 e6 amp to unkink it (if you haven't noticed i baby these things so much, its pretty ridiculous)

just my only concern on the re400s, the sound is without a doubt absolutely fabulous

Users who are viewing this thread

Back