[REVIEW] HifiMan RE400 ‘Waterline’ – The New Reference
Sep 17, 2013 at 12:19 PM Post #541 of 781
  thinking of buying these from amazon.uk only 3 pairs left .. maybe the last ones from there first batch ? if so should i wait a while or what do you think guys? 

i would consider it becouse you guys have said their costumer service and warranty is good.  but sending them from sweden to china could become a expensive and boring story.

cheers.  

also what music do you audiological beings enjoy playing thru these pair of iems?

All of the pairs currently available should have any build issues resolved, I believe that was only with very early batches.  I can attest to HiFiMan having very good customer service - I haven't had any driver failure or durability issues but I have purchased parts/accessories from them before.

I listen to stuff all over the board and I was looking for something fairly neutral with a bit of warmth.  I think these are very impressive for the price, even next to much more expensive models.  Clear and detailed (but never overly harsh) highs, sweet and slightly forward mids and accurate, well extended lows.  They serve as a tremendous value and live up to their 'waterline' name, definitely worth an extended listen!

Sep 18, 2013 at 12:23 PM Post #543 of 781
How does RE400 compare to RE0 in terms of power needs? I am thinking of trying them for phone use (looking for something similar to my RE0 but w/o needing to boost bass on everything like I do now.)

Thanks!

Sep 18, 2013 at 1:01 PM Post #544 of 781
  How does RE400 compare to RE0 in terms of power needs? I am thinking of trying them for phone use (looking for something similar to my RE0 but w/o needing to boost bass on everything like I do now.)

Thanks!

Sounds like they may be a better pairing then for sure.  The impedance is a bit lower (not as low as the RE-ZERO or RE-600) but I never have any problems driving them plenty loud using my phone or DAP.  The RE-600 I'm demoing currently gets louder at the same volume mark but they're fairly close.  I'm not sure how much you EQ your RE0 but the RE-400 is definitely warmer with more bass impact, but still very clear, transparent and detailed up top.  I only demoed the RE0 for about 15 minutes though, but I definitely preferred the RE-400 of the two.

Sep 19, 2013 at 12:01 AM Post #545 of 781

Thanks!

Both are pretty easy to drive. RE400 is quite a bit louder at the same volume setting than RE0 due to its lower impedance though. RE400 has the potential to scale more with higher quality sources IMO, due to its better, more resolving driver. RE0 improves with more power, but only slightly so from my experience. RE0 is noticeably more limited in the amount of detail that it can reveal compared to RE400 IMO. RE0 can sound better than RE400 in some cases, when its brighter, sharper sound matches well with the source and music, but RE400 has the upper hand in pure sound quality IMO and has the potential to benefit much more from better sources and higher quality recordings. In regards to bass, I think you should be happier with RE400, as it offers a noticeably tighter, punchier, more authoritative low end compared to RE0, even out of weak sources. Actually, bass performance is probably the greatest improvement that RE400 provides over RE0.

Sep 19, 2013 at 12:31 AM Post #546 of 781
Thank for the great feedback. It sounds like a good step for me. I am not a bass head by any means, but REOs make me reach for the dial on most everything. Less impedance + less amp lost to bass boost sounds like a plan. 
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 19, 2013 at 8:31 AM Post #547 of 781
Sep 19, 2013 at 9:09 AM Post #548 of 781
  I finally found some good cheap tips that add back the missing bass in these.

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Freeshipping-10pcs-5pair-JVC-memory-foam-sets-In-Ear-Earphone-Headset-Earbud-Bud-Tips-Earbuds-eartips/1052204391.html

They are an immediate improvement over the stock tips. They create a nice seal for me, and it seems that foam does well with adding back sub bass which normally seems to be lacking a bit.

Are they adding bass and/or limiting treble?     By the looks of the small bore tip, it looks like they would be limiting treble.    The RE-400's are VERY tip sensitive and I've found that the tips that have the largest bore tip as well as the best seal seems to work the best with these.  

Sep 19, 2013 at 11:33 AM Post #549 of 781

Are they adding bass and/or limiting treble?     By the looks of the small bore tip, it looks like they would be limiting treble.    The RE-400's are VERY tip sensitive and I've found that the tips that have the largest bore tip as well as the best seal seems to work the best with these.  

I have more on the way with a larger bore I can compare with, but after an hour of listening with them I didn't feel like much was rolled off at all. Longer bodied diy foam tips i tried limited treble, but these kept it.

You're right though, very tip sensitive, and what works for one person won't work for another. These definitely improved the sound overall to me though.

Sep 19, 2013 at 4:18 PM Post #550 of 781

These are the only things that improved bass for me, Moldex Spark Plugs

Sep 19, 2013 at 5:38 PM Post #551 of 781
  From the looks of it, you'll probably have to remove the core but I can't say for sure.  I attempted to make my own foamies out of ear plugs with fairly good success, at least as far as fitment goes.  I made the hole pretty small, then used a pair of hemostats to stretch it open to mount on the nozzle.  Once it set, they stay in place pretty good.  I haven't tested for listening yet, so impressions to come.

Good job!   I have become addicted to earplug foam.  It's dirt cheap at thrift and drug stores and seals better than comply.  I find it to be almost as comfortable as the complys as well.
It's also very washable in dish soap and water.  I make my holes now with a small pencil soldering iron tip.  It stinks so I use it directly under the stove hood to ventilate.    I use it for internal cores on silicone tips and also as a sleeve over cores.  I use it both ways on double flanges.  I like the exposed foam at the tip and foam cores in the outer flange.

Happy Listening!

Sep 19, 2013 at 9:51 PM Post #552 of 781

Good job!   I have become addicted to earplug foam.  It's dirt cheap at thrift and drug stores and seals better than comply.  I find it to be almost as comfortable as the complys as well.
It's also very washable in dish soap and water.  I make my holes now with a small pencil soldering iron tip.  It stinks so I use it directly under the stove hood to ventilate.    I use it for internal cores on silicone tips and also as a sleeve over cores.  I use it both ways on double flanges.  I like the exposed foam at the tip and foam cores in the outer flange.

Happy Listening!

Agreed, it's comfy and cheap.  I prepped like 4 pairs too just to have on me.  They're good for long listening sessions (like plane rides) but otherwise I typically use silicone tips.  That's an interesting combo though, so you use the earplug foam under the silicone tips?

Sep 20, 2013 at 3:42 AM Post #553 of 781

I found a whole box at work. Looks like I'm set for years

Sep 25, 2013 at 3:21 AM Post #555 of 781
Hi Guys,

I also just got the RE-400 in China a few weeks ago, after running in for almost 30 hous, it's starting to sound much better than my Shure SE215, but just lacking a bit in bass, it's ok with me, as I listen more jazz and vocal.

I have a question which I wonder which is better? To use the foam tips or the stock "rubber" tips? I always worry that the foam tips will wear out easier and I have to keep buying them.

If they are really that good, what would be a good buy for the foam tips?

Many thanks!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back