[Review] HiFiMAN RE262 - Sophisticated and Beautiful
Dec 28, 2011 at 10:43 PM Post #31 of 342
For a second there I thought I saw some bad hmmmm around
tongue.gif

Dec 28, 2011 at 10:48 PM Post #32 of 342
I didn't realize you ordered one!  It's very different but really sucks you in with its crystal clear midrange.

I definitely think amped is the only way to go.  So far I prefer them with the ZO, however I plan on purchasing the Fiio E17 when it comes out and possibly a JDS labs build of the Objective O2.  I'm thinking of requesting the gain settings to be changed to 1.5x and 3x if I get the O2 to make it more Hifiman IEM and Customs friendly. Or I may splurge with a 2stepdance instead.  Decisions, decisions...

tongue.gif

Me too

Dec 28, 2011 at 10:52 PM Post #33 of 342
Glad you like them, Eric!

Let those drivers loosen up, man.. in time, you'll be experiencing those mids in all their LIQUID glory!

Dec 29, 2011 at 1:15 AM Post #34 of 342

Quote:
tongue.gif

LOL... all positive (so far)the 

Quote:
I didn't realize you ordered one!  It's very different but really sucks you in with its crystal clear midrange.

I definitely think amped is the only way to go.  So far I prefer them with the ZO, however I plan on purchasing the Fiio E17 when it comes out and possibly a JDS labs build of the Objective O2.  I'm thinking of requesting the gain settings to be changed to 1.5x and 3x if I get the O2 to make it more Hifiman IEM and Customs friendly. Or I may splurge with a 2stepdance instead.  Decisions, decisions...

Me too

The Fiio E10/E9 has great synergy with the RE262

Quote:
Glad you like them, Eric!

Let those drivers loosen up, man.. in time, you'll be experiencing those mids in all their LIQUID glory!

Will do sir.. Thank you!!

Dec 29, 2011 at 8:20 AM Post #36 of 342

Quote:

I can certainly see how it may not be the best for some genres.  I don't see the RE262 being that one, "do-everything" phone someone has for all their genres (something a monitor is better suited for, if neutrality is also important).  The RE262 is versatile but the tuning & presentation is certainly specialized & unique.. that is a gift & curse for some.  I listen to a lot of electronic, downtempo-y type of stuff with it and love it.  For acoustic jazz/folk & vocal stuff, it's arguably one of the finest phones out there (regardless of price).  What I like is that it's very clear but it's coloration presents those genres with an absolutely intoxicating flavor.. like nothing I've ever heard before.

I highly recommend ClieOS' foam mod for those who want to get a little more out of the treble.  It's not going turn the RE262 into an Etymotic or anything.. but you'll hear a little more sparkle, air, and crispness up top.  It takes a few tries to get right but once you do, I found it very rewarding.  Rest assured the velvety sound remains fully in tact, though.

For those who might find mids too forward with the HFM biflanges, I recommend switching to one of the the stock, HFM single flange tips.  I typically listen to the RE262 with the HFM biflanges but accidentally shipped them to the next user on the HiSound Golden Crystal loaner tour.  The (shallower fitting) single flanges push the mids back a slight bit so it's more in line with the bass and treble.  You'll get a slightly more natural fq response without losing clarity or dynamics.. plus the bass and treble will have a little more presence.

The cherry on top?  The soundstage widens a bit too.  The RE262 soundstage is already something magical.. but I've yet to pick my jaw off the floor hearing it with the single flanges 
basshead.gif

basshead.gif

basshead.gif

I absolutely agree, and if I was unclear about it in my last post: I was in no way or shape bashing it, because it truly is a fine piece of work. My problems with it stems from two things: I need a more pronounced treble from en IEM than I could achieve from the RE-262 (I did not try the mod, but I don't like modding headphones - yet), otherwise I get claustrophobic (yes, it really is that severe for me when it comes to IEMs, not circum- or supraaural). If you can handle it better than me, congratulations - you have art in your hands. The music that really shined for me through the RE-262 was the acoustic stuff .. that was magic. However, that is also music I don't normally listen to and it becomes a question of whether the music is a tool for listening to an IEM or the IEM being the tool to listen to the music. So I chose to sell it to my father who appreciates it a lot more than I do.

Dec 29, 2011 at 11:18 AM Post #37 of 342

X2
Quote:
....it just never ends 
frown.gif

Is anyone interested in a kidney? I need to sell it to fund a few audio purchases

Dec 29, 2011 at 12:52 PM Post #38 of 342
There's one for sale now.  Have their been reports about this combo?  Hard for me to justify another portable amp with only one major pair of IEMs in the 262.  Maybe not hard to justify but I really just getting started to hear what the JDS cMoyBB can do.  Would I get 3X the performance spending $350 for a used stepdance when my cMoyBB runs $100 (9V + 9V configuration and 8620 opamp)?

Quote:

Me too

Dec 29, 2011 at 10:07 PM Post #39 of 342

Quote:
There's one for sale now.  Have their been reports about this combo?  Hard for me to justify another portable amp with only one major pair of IEMs in the 262.  Maybe not hard to justify but I really just getting started to hear what the JDS cMoyBB can do.  Would I get 3X the performance spending $350 for a used stepdance when my cMoyBB runs $100 (9V + 9V configuration and 8620 opamp)?

I haven't read any reports on this combo but I read ClieOS really likes the RE272/Stepdance combo in his new RE272 review thread.  I'm not sure if this equates to similar results with the RE262 or not.

Dec 29, 2011 at 10:13 PM Post #40 of 342
So I did come across one major issue with the RE262: for me, I could not wear these IEMs and get a good deep fit wearing them down with the regular unbalanced adapter. So no way could I really hear their full potential...

Luckily for me Hifiman anticipated this problem, and thus provided the white cable adapter, which basically reverses the channels (right earphone piece becomes the left and the left becomes the right). This allows me to wear the IEMs over the ear and get a nice deep fit... Now the RE262 is coming to life for me!! Nice...

Dec 29, 2011 at 10:18 PM Post #41 of 342

Quote:
So I did come across one major issue with the RE262: for me, I could not wear these IEMs and get a good deep fit wearing them down with the regular unbalanced adapter. So no way could I really hear their full potential...

Luckily for me Hifiman anticipated this problem, and thus provided the white cable adapter, which basically reverses the channels (right earphone piece becomes the left and the left becomes the right). This allows me to wear the IEMs over the ear and get a nice deep fit... Now the RE262 is coming to life for me!! Nice...

Over the ear with the white adapter is how I wear them as well.  Listening with the zo as we type...

Dec 29, 2011 at 10:29 PM Post #42 of 342
Dec 31, 2011 at 11:15 AM Post #44 of 342
Post 2 has been updated for a comparison with the JVC FXT90.

Quote:

Comparison with FXT90 (12/31)

Isolation is better on RE262, although I do use different tips between the two which could contribute to some difference but overall I think the RE262 housing body helps to block out more noise.

Source Nano 6g with LOD to Fiio e6

Vocals are placed closer and guitars are pushed more forward with RE262.  Treble has more presence in the FXT90 and is an overall brighter phone; distortion guitars have much more bite.  The treble of the RE262 seems a little weightier and perhaps more accurate sounding for cymbals.  I have to use EQ2 on the Fiio to get as much bass quantity out of the RE262 but with the added bass of the E6, the RE262 can match the un-eq'd JVC's in quantity and was already a match in quality.

The FXT90 is wider in soundstage but RE262 is just a bit deeper, which is saying something as the JVC is already deep.  Instrument realism is superb on both but I give the nod to the JVC’s; it’s just fantastic.  The RE262 has a blacker background and with the combination of a more intimate vocal, can make for a very seductive effect with the right music.  I think both are transparent and clear phones but with the blacker background and greater focus on mids, the RE262 wins the battle in transparency.

The differences in technicalities are minimal but tuning is pretty different between the two.  They are both fantastic bargains for their going rate of $150 or less and both have become my favorite universals of any I've ever owned.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back