REVIEW: HiFiman RE-262
Oct 31, 2010 at 10:59 AM Post #16 of 52
Oh god, I remember passing up the HM601+RE262 Preorder combo - this review is just a kick in the teeth now, infact I'm split between the DBA-02s and the RE-262s now >.< !

Oct 31, 2010 at 11:34 AM Post #17 of 52
IF the retail price for 262 is 250$ and theyre that good

this means that the hm-602 was sold for only 180$
L3000.gif

thank god it doesnt play gapless or i would have bought the devil

(and money is near the 0 mark atm)

Oct 31, 2010 at 6:19 PM Post #18 of 52

Quote:
Sorry to anyone who was waiting on a reply from me, I was indeed away on a trip from Wednesday until today.

Oh god, I remember passing up the HM601+RE262 Preorder combo - this review is just a kick in the teeth now, infact I'm split between the DBA-02s and the RE-262s now >.< !

I thought everyone knew how good a deal the HM602 was supposed to be :p

@LFF: how good is the isolation you get out of the RE262? I'm not getting as good a isolation as you are apparently. There's no way I would be able to not hear a vacuum if I was using it while listening to the RE262 unless you hear at volumes that would cause you to be deaf right about now :p

Oct 31, 2010 at 7:08 PM Post #19 of 52
They told me around $300.

Oct 31, 2010 at 7:30 PM Post #21 of 52

Quote:
I thought everyone knew how good a deal the HM602 was supposed to be :p

@LFF: how good is the isolation you get out of the RE262? I'm not getting as good a isolation as you are apparently. There's no way I would be able to not hear a vacuum if I was using it while listening to the RE262 unless you hear at volumes that would cause you to be deaf right about now :p

Indeed, the numbers did seem too good when I saw it, but I didn't like S:Flo 2's looks and UI, extremely troublesome just picking a new song.
I thought the 602 would be even worse, and I didn't feel right flipping them off for the 262, and it would be hard justifying am awkward buy like that to my parents (Currently in secondary school, which adds to the unwieldiness of toting a brick into school)

Edit : People stop saying how good they are!

Oct 31, 2010 at 7:54 PM Post #22 of 52

Quote:

VERY different sounding earphones.  Commonly an individual has a particular tastes.  Earphones that match that taste sound good to that user.  It is...strange...to look at two extremely different sounding earphones and saying it's a toss up for you.  Only one of the two should be on your list, along with a number of other earphones of a similar sound signature.  The only times you might look at vastly different sounding earphones is when you are (a) just trying a bunch of different things to see what you like or don't like or (b) are picking specifically colored earphones to build a collection of products that are geared for a variety of genres.  I the (b) way, you may have one earphone for classical, one for rock, one for jazz, and so on.  In this light you'd own both the DBA-02 and RE262 for different reasons but have both at the same time.  However to only own one, they just aren't comparable devices.  One will be much towards your taste in sound and the other quite a ways away from your taste.

Being only in middle school, I do question the need for such items.  These are not cheap products, and this hobby at this level is not really all that affordable.  Even if your parents are making six figures, plopping down $1000-$2000 still isn't chump change.  Would you be willing to work as hard as you can for 100 hours, 200 hours to get those items?  For a kid your age, $25 or $50 is pretty expensive.  Maybe your parents want to spoil you, and you can get away having some of these things.  Do realize that these products are not cheap at all.  Value them well because your parents are working day in and day out to have and support everything that exists in your world.

Oct 31, 2010 at 8:28 PM Post #23 of 52

Quote:

Being only in middle school, I do question the need for such items.  These are not cheap products, and this hobby at this level is not really all that affordable.  Even if your parents are making six figures, plopping down $1000-$2000 still isn't chump change.  Would you be willing to work as hard as you can for 100 hours, 200 hours to get those items?  For a kid your age, $25 or $50 is pretty expensive.  Maybe your parents want to spoil you, and you can get away having some of these things.  Do realize that these products are not cheap at all.  Value them well because your parents are working day in and day out to have and support everything that exists in your world.

you are 15 and you want these IEM's as gifts ?

wow , you sure must have some rich folks for parents....

i am with mwv2 on this one , either work your socks off and buy them on your own or go dor something cheaper....it's the intelligent,self-respecting thing to do imho

besides if you get a pair of 262 at 15 , you will need a custom pair priced for 40000$ when you're 25

Oct 31, 2010 at 9:47 PM Post #24 of 52
I think LFF put it perfectly when mentioning the DBA-02 and RE262 in his review. I can see someone owning both since they are quite different from each other in signature. DBA-02 is more accurate imo while RE262 is colored but not colored enough where it makes only certain music shine while others sound horrible. I haven't heard a song that I outright can't stand with the RE262.

I'm with LFF that something like the DBA-02 suits my preferences better but I have no problem enjoying the RE262. The earphone I have for that purpose goes to the Livewires I have and if I need a universal it probably goes to the RE-Zero.

Oct 31, 2010 at 10:09 PM Post #25 of 52
I have heard the RE262 before. I never liked the sound as much, but that was a short listening session. I asked the owner to let me borrow them for awhile, and he agreed. Hopefully, I could get better impressions the next time.
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 31, 2010 at 11:34 PM Post #26 of 52
Oct 31, 2010 at 11:55 PM Post #27 of 52

Quote:

I'm using the small tips. They seem to isolate very well for me. I don't listen to at high volumes either as I value my hearing way too much to rock out as loud as other people. It's tempting but I always listen at moderate levels. I turn it up to where I would consider the music normal, then dial it back a few. Helps preserve my hearing and reduces fatigue.
wink_face.gif

Nov 1, 2010 at 4:32 AM Post #29 of 52
Yeah.  The response isn't as flat as some earphones.  This isn't bad, but coloration tends to make an earphone favor certain music types.  A very neutral earphone is a jack of all trades.  A colored earphone specializes, although the specialization is kind of dependent on the person/people involved in deciding the coloration and its goals.  To describe the coloration of the RE262 would be to say that a softer (not less detailed) top end was chosen, less sparkly, less piercing, a warmer sense.  As well midbass and lower mids were also emphasized slightly, giving a warmer sense and a little more punch and fullness of vocals and emphasis of things like guitars/strings, and higher frequency drums.  What kind of gets traded off is some air and sparkle to the top end.  Things like cymbals don't crash and shine as much.  Deep bass is lessened which gives you less visceral, deep, shaking bass, but you have more higher bass which offers edginess and punch to the notes.  They hit harder but reverberate less which gives a little less fullness.  Your focus goes more towards vocals, guitars, and a lot of common instruments that reside mostly in the midrange.  For example, vocals and guitars are slightly dominant with these earphones.  Cymbals, triangles, and any other high frequency instruments will be quieter and warmer.  The bottom end isn't actually bad on these.  They do extend very well and retain good output, but the emphasis is in the higher bass.  Now my set is Hero Kid's set and and the bottom end might actually still loosen more and fill out.  These are 150ohm earphones, and while surprisingly efficient for this ohm load, they still really need to be amped and pushed to get fully loosened up, especially since the driver used seems to actually offer a very decent amount of linear throw.

So what about the foam mod?  Well, I think Fang was thinking ahead on this one.  With the foam removed, the top end does open up some and you get a little more sparkle up top.  It's still mild but more even.  It kind of seems these were set more so with the foam removed and then added as usual for the end user to decide what they want for the top end.  After have trying with and without, I do suggest without.  It just comes out more even.  It's not even close to the aggressiveness of the RE252 up top, but it does sound more balanced overall and with that little bit of sparkle that really should be there.  Frankly I say bye bye to the foam because nothing bad comes from doing so with these.

I can say with little doubt that the driver is the best dynamic driver I've listened to in an earphone so far.  I'm a fan of Denon's C700 driver, super efficient, really articulate, but poorly controlled and distorted at volume.  I'm a fan of the long throw IE8 driver, awesome bass, high output, sort of like the XBL^2 of the IEM world, but it lacks speed and softens the edge.  For a dynamic, the RE262 just seems to spank everything else out there.  It's effortless, clean, doesn't really have noticeable compression, it gets damn loud and is happy about it.  It pretty much makes the RE252 driver sound like crap, haha, and that says a lot.  The sound that is emitted is basically pure.  It's something I haven't really heard from dynamic earphones, only great home audio drivers.

So how good is the RE262?  Ha, well, let's see...  I have a RE-ZERO, UM3X, Triple.Fi 10, e-Q7, CK100, RE252, and my OK1 buds sitting in front of me.  Referencing a little Jay Z, the RE262's like show me what you got?  They have zero problem matching them.  The RE262 is a top level earphone.  It literally puts the RE252 a half step down now.  The coloration may or may not suit you, but this might be a simple matter of EQing.  What you end up buying is always dependent on personal preference.  I can only state that the RE262 is good, exceptionally good.  The driver is outstanding.  The physical form is of the value orientation that Fang seems to gear his products towards.  It's no SE535, IE8, or e-Q7, but it is smartly done, and if sound is the main concern, then it's an excellent product.  Is it the end all?  Well, it's simply one of many options.  My personal preference leans me more towards the CK100 for example as it is a more balanced device.  However, I would be hard-pressed to call the RE262 less of an earphone sound wise.  It'll just come down to personal preference though and what you main think about the coloration, which is mild but there none the less.  I can only say it's likable and that you do get used to it quickly.  The RE262 is very transparent, visceral, but also non-fatiguing even at loud volumes.  Low distortion tends to do that.
wink.gif
...but also the non-aggressive top end helps that too.

These are some incredibly cool earphones.  I'm not trying to stoke the FOTM here, but yeah, anyone should really seriously look at these at some point along with any other high end IEM on the market.  Yes, they'll stand toe to toe with any universal on the market.  It'll simply be a matter of preference if the RE262 will be your best pick.

Nov 1, 2010 at 6:15 AM Post #30 of 52
And on the next day , everyone went out and bought a 262
jecklinsmile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back